Can xampp handle 100 connection simultaneously?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Can xampp handle 100 connection simultaneously?

Postby yukija » 07. July 2009 11:49

Can xampp handle 100 connection simultaneously? I measn if 100 users login to website which running on xampp will xampp work properly?
If not then how many connections? If yes then how many upper limit?
yukija

Operating System: Windows 2003 Server

Re: Can xampp handle 100 connection simultaneously?

Postby glitzi85 » 07. July 2009 15:59

That can not be answered so easy. Do you really mean 100 simultaneously connections? That would be heavy, but not impossible. Or do you just mean that there is a maximum of 100 Users that may use the Website (even at the nearly same time)?

Mostly it depends on the site. Do you use many Database connections? Is the Script good coded? Do you have long running functions in your Script? That are all facts influencing the load of the Server.

Also it is possible to tune the Apache. But that needs knowledge of the Environment and Apache.

glitzi
glitzi85

Postby yukija » 08. July 2009 02:04

Q. Do you really mean 100 simultaneously connections?
A. Yes I mean 100 simultaneous connection.
Q. Or do you just mean that there is a maximum of 100 Users that may use the Website (even at the nearly same time)?
A. Also I have 100 users.

I am just thinking if I use xampp finally and if 100 users login to website at the same time in my website (which running on xampp) then will be the xampp server ok or not. If there is difficulties then what kind of difficulties I could face?

FYI, I am running Drupal 6.12, Content Management System on XAMPP.

Have anybody experienced of using xampp with 100 users + 100 users simulatneous connection to xampp server?

Could you please let me know what kinds of tuning needed for xampp apache?

Thanks for your reply.
yukija

Postby glitzi85 » 09. July 2009 12:57

If you have 100 users, you will never have 100 simultaneously connections. That could happen if you have a lot more users (like 10 to 100 thousand).
With 100 users it will never happen that all this users request at the same time, and even if so, Apache would handle one after another (depending on the MPM settings). 100 Users using Drupal should not be a problem for XAMPP.

An important thing to know is that there is no long connection with Apache. The user requests a ressource, Apache delivers the ressource and then the connection is closed. That's the reason why 100 users never equals 100 connections.

glitzi
glitzi85

Postby Wiedmann » 09. July 2009 14:00

Apache delivers the ressource and then the connection is closed.

That's not completely true. In HTTP/1.1, which most UAs are using, persistent connections are the default.
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby glitzi85 » 09. July 2009 22:05

Wiedmann wrote:
Apache delivers the ressource and then the connection is closed.

That's not completely true. In HTTP/1.1, which most UAs are using, persistent connections are the default.

That's true, but doesn't change anything for yukija.

glitzi
glitzi85

Postby yukija » 10. July 2009 16:42

Thanks for your reply but what do you mean by MPM settings? Can u pls clarify it kindly?
And what kinds of possible steps (tuning) I could take to improve performance of xampp?
yukija

Postby glitzi85 » 10. July 2009 16:58

yukija wrote:Thanks for your reply but what do you mean by MPM settings? Can u pls clarify it kindly?
And what kinds of possible steps (tuning) I could take to improve performance of xampp?

Sure. MPM is short for Multi-Processing Module. It depends on the Operating System, on Windows systems the Apache process starts several threads. When a new connection is reaching the server, the apache process delegates this request to one of the threads. You can configure how many threads shall be created during startup and the maximun, how many requests every thread handles before the thread quits and a new one is (eventually) created and so on.
In XAMPP you will find this configuration section in the file xampp\apache\conf\extra\httpd-mpm.conf (make sure the include-Statement for this file is active in the httpd.conf). You have to search for the section beginning with this line:
Code: Select all
<IfModule mpm_winnt_module>

If you want to know the other directives, default values or what these directives do, you can have a look in the Apache Documentation: http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mpm_winnt.html
On the right hand side there is a list of Directives, supported by the WinNT-Module. If you click on them, you will get a pretty good description. Please be careful with the mpm_common-Directives, as not all Directives can be used in the WinNT-Environment. In the Infobox of every directive you will find a Module-List. If there is no mpm_winnt included, this directive can not be used in Windows.

glitzi
glitzi85

Return to XAMPP for Windows