Apache not working in Vista

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Apache not working in Vista

Postby gradinafrica » 19. June 2009 00:20

Hi everyone,

I know that this has already been posted several times, but I suck at using the search functions to find what I need. Also the topics posted have never been quite exactly what is happening to me.

What is happening is that when I try to start apache, it will usually just not run, but occasionally it will run for a second or two and then stop working.

Could someone give me a list of possible programs that use port 80? I have skype full, google chrome, internet explorer and firefox, firefox portable (I have tried to use xampp in all of those browsers and it doesnt work in any of them), windows live, free download manager and windows update (of course). Those are all of the programs that are running almost all of the time which use the internet.

Anyway, let me know what can be done to solve this because I can't develop web stuff until this is resolved.

Gradinafrica

PS If it helps, I recently reinstalled windows. Before I reinstalled, xampp worked and I copied it over to a flash drive before I wiped my hard drive. Then I copied it back and it now doesnt work - indicating that it's a registry or system files problem. So I tried downloading a fresh copy of xampp from this site and installed it, but it still doesn't work.
gradinafrica

Re: Apache not working in Vista

Postby Wiedmann » 19. June 2009 00:28

it will usually just not run,

Why not?
--> use the batchfile to start Apache and read the error message.

Could someone give me a list of possible programs that use port 80?

Makes not really sense...
--> use a tool like netstat or tcpview and look which program is currently using this port on your pc.
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby gradinafrica » 19. June 2009 04:39

How would I go about using these do detect a conflict?
Sorry, I'm kind of new to both of them.
It's port 80 that apache is supposed to use, right?
Because I looked through tcpview and it didn't seem to show any other programs using that port.
gradinafrica

Postby gradinafrica » 19. June 2009 05:02

The error message that I'm getting in xampp is that it can't bind to 0.0.0.0:443 - so port 443. Is is binding to port 80 as well? Because when I try to start it from the control panel it seems to start ok and it says that it is starting in port 80. But in the log theres tons of messages about port 443 and nothing about port 80. I tried changing the virtual host away from port 443 in the httpd-ssl.conf from 443 to something else, but it didn't seem to do anything. What is the proper way to change the port number?
gradinafrica

Postby gradinafrica » 19. June 2009 05:13

It also says that there's no listening sockets available....shouldn't there be? I can't have every socket filled, can I? I mean aren't there like thousands of ports?
When I try changing from port 80 it automatically jumps to port 443 (which it can't use either). Are there certain valid ports? I thought you could just put in any number from 0 to like some thousand.
gradinafrica

Postby Nobbie » 19. June 2009 09:22

You probably have Microsoft IIS installed, which is already a webserver and blocks the ports.
Nobbie

Postby el-quds » 19. June 2009 10:45

see this topic please about skype - xampp problem

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=35710
el-quds

Postby gradinafrica » 20. June 2009 02:13

el-quds wrote:see this topic please about skype - xampp problem

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=35710

That worked! Thanks so much. But will I be able to instant message and call on Skype any more?
gradinafrica

Postby el-quds » 20. June 2009 06:55

first start Apache, then start Skype

did u read it all ??? :P

u can use skype after u start xampp ..

:)
el-quds

Postby romb » 27. June 2009 15:47

Greetings!

Most time i'm developing ASP.NET web applications on IIS :) but would like to play with lamp platform and see ;)
So i don't want to shutdown or re-assign IIS ports from 80 and 443. Ideally i'd like Apache has some other ports.

i launched xampp setup and got error saying like "Apache installation failed". Though Apache directory presents inside xampp directory. I tried to change httpd.conf as the following:

Code: Select all
Listen 127.0.0.1:8080
ServerName 127.0.0.1:8080

but still have the errors when starting Apache Service from SCM:

Windows could not start the Apache2.2 on Local Computer. For more information, review the System Event Log. If this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to service-specific error code 1.

and there 3 errors in the system logs:

The Apache service named reported the following error:
>>> (OS 10013)An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions. : make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:443 .
--------
>>> no listening sockets available, shutting down .
--------
>>> Unable to open logs .

FYI, IIS service and skype were off. Also all apache directories have read/write access permission to everyone. And i'm log on as Administartor.

Please help me with Apache installation :) Should i uninstall xmpp and try apache separate installation since it may allow customization during setup?

Thanks.
romb

Postby Wiedmann » 27. June 2009 15:49

>>> (OS 10013)An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions. : make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:443 .

HTTPS ist configured in the file "httpd-ssl.conf".
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby romb » 27. June 2009 15:59

Wiedmann wrote:

HTTPS ist configured in the file "httpd-ssl.conf".

All works after changing httpd-ssl.conf:
Code: Select all
Listen 543
ServerName 127.0.0.1:543

Now IIS and Apache are running together.

Thanks again. i was afraid that had to wait for help for ages since service is free etc :D
romb

Return to XAMPP for Windows