Using XAMPP to install WPMU on OS X 10.4

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Using XAMPP to install WPMU on OS X 10.4

Postby Melton Cartes » 24. June 2009 00:02

I've successfully installed XAMPP to my Macbook (10.4.11).

I'm wanting to intall WordPress MU (multi-user) to be able to develop new sites for my clients. My core WP installation seems to be working. So, I know XAMPP is working and WP.

After much trial, I managed to reach a Successful Installation page with WPMU. Then I got an 500 Internal Server error and it won't go away....

I was having trouble figuring out how to grant more permissions to the WPMU folder and the wp-content folder within it and finally figured, maybe Get Info is the same thing. I granted Read & Write to these folders and that's when I successfully installed WPMU.

Doubting things and wanting to "double-check" Get Info to see if it really did the trick (toggle the result, on and off, basically), I changed the permissions on the wp-content folder to Read Only (back to the way it had been) and then got the error. That was fine because it seemed to confirm that Get Info did work.

But when I granted Read & Write again to that folder, the error remained and continues...

Where or how do I troubleshoot an Internal Server error on my Macbook?

Thanks!

FYI: http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic/12309?replies=13
Melton Cartes

Re: Using XAMPP to install WPMU on OS X 10.4

Postby Melton Cartes » 24. June 2009 01:22

Okay. Thanks to some help from a very kind soul, I've figured out this much.
[Tue Jun 23 17:16:12 2009] [alert] [client ::1] /Applications/xampp/xamppfiles/htdocs/mysite.dev/.htaccess: RewriteEngine not allowed here
[Tue Jun 23 17:16:12 2009] [error] [client ::1] File does not exist: /Applications/xampp/xamppfiles/htdocs/favicon.ico, referer: http://localhost/mysite.dev/

I read this to mean that what should normally happen with a WordPressMU installation, namely that it creates a .htaccess file and a wp-config.php file from its default wp-config-sample.php (and this insaller called "htaccess.dist"),...

...is not happening.

No, .htaccess, probably no site to "refer."

So, I'm going to explore a clean install of WPMU, but I'm not sure how different that will be from what I have....
Melton Cartes

Postby Melton Cartes » 24. June 2009 03:24

A clean install didn't help.
Melton Cartes

Postby caltuna » 24. June 2009 06:57

Are you running as an admin user?

Do you have a dot htaccess file? What is in it if so? (You can use the free TextWrangler editor to show hidden files.)

You might set all permissions to 777 via terminal:

chmod -R 777 /applications/xampp/htdocs/your-WordPress-Folder
caltuna

Postby Nobbie » 24. June 2009 10:16

>/Applications/xampp/xamppfiles/htdocs/mysite.dev/.htaccess: RewriteEngine not allowed here

This message means:

1) There is actually a file .htacces in the folder /Applications/xampp/xamppfiles/htdocs/mysite.dev
2) It contains a "RewriteEngine" statement ("RewriteEngine On" should be the full line), which only works, if the mod_rewrite.so module is loaded in the Apache configuration.

Solution:

edit httpd.conf, look for "mod_rewrite" and activate the LoadModule command by removing the comment sign '#' in the first colum.
Also look for the "AllowOveride" statement for the folder mysite.dev (or your htdocs folder), it should be "AllowOverride All".
Then restart Apache.
Nobbie

Postby Melton Cartes » 25. June 2009 03:10

Caltuna:

Are you running as an admin user?

Yes, if you mean am I the admin on my Mac. Yes. (No other users.)

Do you have a dot htaccess file? What is in it if so? (You can use the free TextWrangler editor to show hidden files.)

Yes. (My TextWrangler wouldn't show me the file. I had to show all files via Terminal.... I opened it in TextEdit.)

Code: Select all
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /mysite.dev/

#uploaded files
RewriteRule ^(.*/)?files/$ index.php [L]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !.*wp-content/plugins.*
RewriteRule ^(.*/)?files/(.*) wp-content/blogs.php?file=$2 [L]

# add a trailing slash to /wp-admin
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^.*/wp-admin$
RewriteRule ^(.+)$ $1/ [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
RewriteRule . - [L]
RewriteRule  ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(wp-.*) $2 [L]
RewriteRule  ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(.*\.php)$ $2 [L]
RewriteRule . index.php [L]

<IfModule mod_security.c>
<Files async-upload.php>
SecFilterEngine Off
SecFilterScanPOST Off
</Files>
</IfModule>

You might set all permissions to 777 via terminal:

I'm new to Terminal (and a fraidy-cat). How does one do that (locate the directory, change permissions, etc.)?

chmod -R 777 /applications/xampp/htdocs/your-WordPress-Folder

Oh! This is how. I'll try it.

I got:
chmod: /applications/xampp/htdocs/mysite.dev/.htaccess: Operation not permitted
chmod: /applications/xampp/htdocs/mysite.dev/wp-content/blogs.dir: Operation not permitted

Nobbie:

edit httpd.conf, look for "mod_rewrite" and activate the LoadModule command by removing the comment sign '#' in the first colum.
Also look for the "AllowOveride" statement for the folder mysite.dev (or your htdocs folder), it should be "AllowOverride All".
Then restart Apache.

This one? (Opps, I tried to Bold it but it's in Code so...):
LoadModule alias_module modules/mod_alias.so
[b]LoadModule rewrite_module modules/mod_rewrite.so[/b]
#LoadModule php5_module        modules/libphp5.so
#LoadModule php4_module        modules/libphp4.so

It looks like it's already uncommented...

As for AllowOverride I changed it on this one:
<Directory "/Applications/xampp/xamppfiles/htdocs">

There was one right above it that I did not touch.
<Directory />

I couldn't find one for "mysite.dev"

Okay, that's got me back to "Installing WordPress MU."

Now I'm at "Installation Finished." (It usually gets the 500 error after I click on Log-in....

Okaaay.... That's different. I've been able to log in! Woohoo!

I'm looking at a WordPress (default Kubrick Theme) website with a 404 error. I think that's just because there are no pages or posts because I haven't made any yet!

No. That's not it... I should be in the Admin area of the WordPress site...

Okay. So, I'm logged in, but I can't log in. When I click on Log-in it takes me back to the first (unstyled) log-in page.

The only other message I get when I click on Creat a New Blog, for instance is:
The blog you have requested is not installed properly. Please contact the system administrator.

So, I'm going to try installing and/or revisit the WPMU forums and check back with what I find.

Thanks a million!
Melton Cartes

Return to XAMPP for macOS