Newbie Having Trouble with Port 80 Problem-How to Find & Fix

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Newbie Having Trouble with Port 80 Problem-How to Find & Fix

Postby newtoxampp » 21. June 2009 20:11

Hi,

I am very new to all of this. I'm thrilled that I can use XAMPP to create a local host, however, I have been trying for days now to get it installed and keep coming up with the same problem: when I click on the XAMPP Control panel -- this time I tried lite to see if that would make a difference -- MySQL runs, FileZilla runs, but Apache won't start. On another forum I was told it had something to do with Port 80.

Could someone tell me how to locate port 80 and fix it so that I can get Apache running? As added background, if it helps, I did have Skye at one point, but deleted it because it was slowing down my computer. Just found the XAMPP port check icon in the XAMPP folder and next to Port 80 it says: C:\Program Files\XAMPP\appache\bin\apache.exe . I don't know if that helps at all.

I appreciate your help. Thanks!
newtoxampp

Re: Newbie Having Trouble with Port 80 Problem-How to Find & Fix

Postby el-quds » 22. June 2009 10:47

this seems to be the most common prob..

anyway u need to make sure that port 80 is not in use or blocked

in other posts many had port 80 blocked by skype .. u need to turn off slype in case u have it and run xampp then run skype afterwords ..

if this is not the case u need to open port 80 through ur firewall ..windows firewall or u might have some security programs like zonealarm or so .. u need to find ur path to open port 80

in windows firewall case its usual to have a massege wither to let the xampp run to keep blocking ..
if u had no such message then its most probable that u have some security program blocking it ..

keep the good work and it will work .. :mrgreen:
el-quds

Postby newtoxampp » 22. June 2009 16:20

Thanks so much for your reply. Based on the "language" you used, I was able to do a google search using "how to open port 80 in windows xp" and found information regarding opening it and a firewall.

Another message I got when I either refreshed or reinstalled was "directory mismatch." Any idea what that means?

Thanks so much!
newtoxampp

Postby el-quds » 23. June 2009 05:49

Hi again..

this problem i did exactly what u did to ur port 80 problem
i googled it writing ( directory mismatch xampp )

i got this direct link please have a look

http://community.apachefriends.org/f/viewtopic.php?p=108259
el-quds

Return to XAMPP for Windows