Help! Apache 2.2 installation problem

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Help! Apache 2.2 installation problem

Postby YoshF » 30. May 2009 19:43

I am very new to PHP, MySQL, Apache.

I attempted to install with xampp-win32-1.7.1-installer in my Windows Vista computer.
I received message: Ports 80 or 443 (SSL) already in use! Installing Apache 2.2 failed!
But when I checked port availability with xampp-portcheck, the result shows all ports necessary are free.
Skype is not installed.

http://localhost/ does not display anything.

Could you anybody tell me how to solve this problem?
Thank you.
YoshF

Re: Help! Apache 2.2 installation problem

Postby Dan.Technician » 30. May 2009 20:50

I had the exact same problem yesterday, I downloaded a fresh copy of XAMPP and then reinstalled it. I hope you don't have problems after you reinstall it like I am now.
-----------------------------
.......Dan.Technician.......
-----------------------------
Dan.Technician

Postby YoshF » 31. May 2009 04:56

I just reproduced the exactly the problem I have had.
I uninstalled and reinstalled the fresh Installer version.

I tried the zip version with settup up and Lite 1.7.1.
but nothing improved except I do not receive the message Ports 80 or 443 (SSL) already in use! Installing Apache 2.2 failed!

I hope Apache 2.2 is not my enemy and I have been fighting against figihting-men. :)
YoshF

Postby Sharley » 31. May 2009 08:32

YoshF wrote:I just reproduced the exactly the problem I have had.
I uninstalled and reinstalled the fresh Installer version.

I tried the zip version with settup up and Lite 1.7.1.
but nothing improved except I do not receive the message Ports 80 or 443 (SSL) already in use! Installing Apache 2.2 failed!
With the information you have provided it will be very difficult to try and troubleshoot your issues.

The most common fault associated with uninstalling and then reinstalling XAMPP many times is not removing (uninstalling) the XAMPP components (Apache, MySQL etc.) running as a Windows NT service, stopping all those XAMPP components if running and closing the XAMPP Control Panel before finally deleting the xampp folder.

Use the provided uninstallservice bat files in the Apache and MySQL folders to uninstall any of those components running as a service.

You can check that the services are stopped and uninstalled using the SCM button in the XCP before deleting the xampp folder and also using the Task Manager to check that no XAMPP component processes are still running.

When you have checked all the above and deleted the xampp folder try rebooting your PC and then check again that no XAMPP components are running before attempting to install again, this is very important as you will have issues that won't go away unless you follow these steps - you have to have a clean start every time you want to install XAMPP and make sure you are logged in as an Administrator and that UAC and IIS are disabled (IIS = Windows default web server Internet Information Service - inetserv, which uses port 80/443 other than Skype).

BTW I have had best success using the EXE (7zip) version and after extracting the files to the root of C:\ so you have the files in C:\xampp folder, I then run the setup_xampp.bat file to set all the paths.

Then I run the XCP to start the XAMPP components when I want to use them but I do not install any as a service (Svc) until I require that feature, normally most users who use XAMPP for localhost development won't require Apache and MySQL to be always running and starting automagically after every reboot.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby YoshF » 02. June 2009 19:50

With the information you have provided it will be very difficult to try and troubleshoot your issues.

Yes, indeed. It is very tough for me.

I tried EXE(7zip) followed by setup_xampp.bat. The I ran XCP and ticked svc for Apach but I found the message: Apache service not started [-1].
The same happened with mysql.
So I installed them as services. Then it appears to be working but but http://localhost does not show anything.

So, I switched to using USB flash memory stick and installed EXE(7zip) and followed the routine.
BUT appache and mysql were not recognised in XCP.
http://localhost/ did not show up in my browser in the USB memory stick.
When I installed apache as a service, it worked but CMS I use was not recognised.

In short, up to now it seems that I have almost the identical problem(s) among 1) c:\xampp using full package, 2) c:\xampp using EXE(7zip) and 3) USB memory stick with EXE(7zip).
YoshF

Postby Sharley » 03. June 2009 01:33

YoshF wrote:I tried EXE(7zip) followed by setup_xampp.bat. The I ran XCP and ticked svc for Apach but I found the message: Apache service not started [-1].
The same happened with mysql.
So I installed them as services. Then it appears to be working but but http://localhost does not show anything.
Did you not try and start Apache and MySQL and test your installation before ticking the Svc boxes?

Why are you ticking the Svc boxes without knowing what doing that is meant to achieve?

Installing XAMPP components as a service means that the components will be started every time you reboot your PC, if they are configured so to do in the SCM. Most users don't need to have Apache and MySQL installed as a service, which BTW, can be installed manually after you have tested your installation is working properly, if you still require these components to run as a Windows NT Service.

What do you see when you type http://127.0.0.1 in your browser after you see that Apache and MySQL are showing the green running indication in the XCP?

YoshF wrote:So, I switched to using USB flash memory stick and installed EXE(7zip) and followed the routine.
You followed what routine?
Running the setup_xampp.bat file should not be done when installing on a USB stick - see the readme-en.txt file.

Uninstall correctly, as per the readme-en.txt file and then reinstall, but do not install any services and do not tick the Svc boxes and make sure that after installation non of the XAMPP components are running (before starting them in the XCP) by checking in the Task Manager and also by checking the list of services entries in the SCM button of the XCP.

You can't start Apache or MySQL if they are already running.

Then when you are sure that no Apache or MySQL processes are running and Apache and MySQL are not in the services lists then you can Start Apache and MySQL so that the green running indication is showing in the XCP.

Then go to http://localhost and if that fails go to http://127.0.0.1 and let us know the outcome.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby YoshF » 03. June 2009 08:27

1. For some reason, I deleted the locally installed c:\xampp now and for reasurrance I made my pc return to almost default condition.
I now just have newly downloaded 7zip xampp installed in USB stick.

Sharley wrote: Running the setup_xampp.bat file should not be done when installing on a USB stick - see the readme-en.txt file.

I did without using setup_xampp.bat. But nothing improved.

Sharley wrote: Then when you are sure that no Apache or MySQL processes are running and Apache and MySQL are not in the services lists then you can Start Apache and MySQL so that the green running indication is showing in the XCP.

At this stage, I did not start setup_xampp.bat. But I receive: Error: Apache service not started [-1]
Then, I clicked apache_start.bat file and after the line `Apache 2 is starting' in Windows command window and nothing changes after that in the command window nor in XCP. No the green running indication appears.
YoshF

Postby YoshF » 03. June 2009 08:54

I tried the newly downloaded 7zip version of xampp in USB stick.
It works fine with my old pc which is not Vista machine.
So I have to conclude that my problem is something to do with Vista only.
I cannot use the old machine as much so using the old machine is not a good option to me.
YoshF

Postby Pietrothebest22 » 25. July 2009 10:38

I install xampp 1.7.1 many times but Apache 2.2.11 and MySQL 5.1.33 is already installed as sevices and xampp installer do not install them again. Thus, I must to remove the services, but I do not know in which way to do that.
Pietrothebest22

Postby Wiedmann » 25. July 2009 10:45

I must to remove the services, but I do not know in which way to do that.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc742045%28WS.10%29.aspx
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Return to XAMPP for Windows