Fatal error: Maximum execution time of -1 seconds exceeded

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of -1 seconds exceeded

Postby jlpeifer » 02. June 2009 20:08

I've hunted around and can't find any references to a solution to this problem. I just installed XAMPP for Windows Version 1.6.6a on a Windows 2000 server. About 95% of the time that I try to load pages (like the default "http://localhost/xampp/") I receive an error that reads "Fatal error: Maximum execution time of -1 seconds exceeded..." followed by a filename such as "... in C:\xampp\htdocs\xampp\index.php on line 12". If I refresh the page it eventually will load OK, but another refresh will return errors like the one I quoted above. It seems to be a PHP error, but I'm not completely certain. Can anyone help with this?
jlpeifer

Re: Fatal error: Maximum execution time of -1 seconds exceeded

Postby Sharley » 03. June 2009 00:48

First question is why use a very old and, for some, a buggy XAMPP release?

Try uninstalling this 1.6.6a version as set out in the readme_en.txt file.
Then try installing the latest version and see if your problem goes away.

Check your server's error log file for more clues:
xampp\apache\logs\error.log

Second question related to your issue:
Open the xampp\apache\bin\php.ini file and look for this line under section heading Resource Limits:
max_execution_time

What does the line contain? - paste back what you see please.

Also line 12 in the htdocs\xampp\index.php file refers to the lang.tmp file - make sure the file is in the above folder as sometimes a disk cleanup will remove temporary files and files with a zero length and so it is important that any disk cleanup operation should not include your xampp installation folder or it's sub folders.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Re: Fatal error: Maximum execution time of -1 seconds exceeded

Postby jlpeifer » 03. June 2009 03:00

First question is why use a very old and, for some, a buggy XAMPP release?

This version is integrated with the installation of a distribution called ocs-ng. I assumed that because it was integrated into the installation executable, that it would be stable. Apparently I was wrong.

Open the xampp\apache\bin\php.ini file and look for this line under section heading Resource Limits:
max_execution_time

Yep! That was it. Here's what I found...

Code: Select all
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
; Resource Limits ;
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

max_execution_time = -1 ; Before OCS setup, value was 60     ; Maximum execution time of each script, in seconds
max_input_time = -1 ; Before OCS setup, value was 60   ; Maximum amount of time each script may spend parsing request data
memory_limit = 16M ; Before OCS setup, value was 32M      ; Maximum amount of memory a script may consume (16MB)

I changed the -1 in both instances to 60 and everything started working fine.

Many thanks. If I encounter more problems, I'll do a fresh install of a more recent version.
jlpeifer

Return to XAMPP for Windows