XAMPP service does not start

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

XAMPP service does not start

Postby Tahuilan » 06. May 2009 18:22

Hi,

I have included into a HTML code a PHP file, where i call it to receive an answer, it returns the PHP code. I think it could be because the service isn't running, but in the local host (XAMPP Status) APACHE and PHP are running!

So when a execute "xampp_start.exe" from Windows it dissapears, but from CMD doesn´t, where it says "xampp is not started" but APACHE and MySQL do.

I hope some could support me, thanx!

First image

Second image
Tahuilan

Re: XAMPP service does not start

Postby Wiedmann » 06. May 2009 19:22

I have included into a HTML code a PHP file,

You mean, you have put PHP code into a HTML file (foo.html)?
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby Tahuilan » 06. May 2009 20:05

Yes, it is. I'll put a code part to get a better understanding.

HTML code:
<form action="lectura_get.php" method="get">

PHP code:

<html>
<head>
<title>Lectura del formulario por GET</title>
</head>
<body>
<H1>Lectura del formulario por GET</H1>
<?php
echo "Nombre: ". $_GET['nombre'] ."<br />\n";
echo "Clave: ". $_GET['clave'] ."<br />\n";
echo "Interes: ". $_GET['interes'] ."<br />\n";
echo "Edad: ". $_GET['edad'] ."<br />\n";
echo "Estado civil: ". $_GET['estado'] ."<br />\n";
echo "Comentario: ". $_GET['comentario'] ."<br />\n";

?>
Esto viene de un campo oculto: <?php echo $_GET['hidden']?><br>
<hr ></html>

But I think it coulb because "xampp_start.exe" is not running, if I rin it since CMD says "XAMPP is not started"

Thanks.
Tahuilan

Postby Wiedmann » 06. May 2009 20:15

HTML code:

What's the name of this file?

PHP code:

What's the name of this file?

if I rin it since CMD says "XAMPP is not started"

Read more carefully, why it can't start (a second time)...
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby Tahuilan » 06. May 2009 20:48

Hi.

Really I'm sorry for my horrible english, were just ortographic mistakes.

When I wrote "HTML code" I make a reference to a HTML file where into the code I'm calling a PHP file with "<form action="lectura_get.php" method="get">", and I also put PHP code from the file ="lectura_get.php" as :

<?php
echo "Nombre: ". $_GET['nombre'] ."<br />\n";
-
-
-....etc.

...so, I identified the error, "xampp_start.exe" is NOT RUNNING. I'll try with XAMPP lite.

I thought to post this issue in a forum like this it could help me, but you are ONLY correcting me, and it doesn't support me.

The next time I'll consult to Google. Thank you very much.
Tahuilan

Postby Wiedmann » 06. May 2009 21:36

When I wrote "HTML code" I make a reference to a HTML file

And I want just know the file name of this HTML file.
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby Tahuilan » 08. May 2009 06:45

Ok, I only want to know why "xampp_start.exe" is not working, if XAMPP Status shows that ALL the services are working perfectly, with this situation I can't continue, and this project is very urgent. Thanks.
Tahuilan

Postby Wiedmann » 08. May 2009 07:45

I only want to know why "xampp_start.exe" is not working, if XAMPP Status shows that ALL the services are working perfectly,

As you can read in your screenshot (and XAMPP Status), Apache and MySQL are already running. And you can't start them a second time.
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby Tahuilan » 09. May 2009 05:35

Yes, I know that Apache and MySQL are already running once, so why the last line says, in the screenshot, "XAMPP is not started"? The console window of xampp_start.exe get close inmediatly. Thanks
Tahuilan

Postby Sharley » 10. May 2009 04:32

Tahuilan wrote:Yes, I know that Apache and MySQL are already running once, so why the last line says, in the screenshot, "XAMPP is not started"? The console window of xampp_start.exe get close inmediatly. Thanks
Click on Start in the Task Bar and then on Run...
Type cmd.exe click OK
Type cd C:\xampp click OK
Type xampp_start.exe click OK
The console window should now stay open so you can read the messages - you can also copy the contents or part of the contents of the console window so you can paste them in to the forum's post text box by clicking on the little icon top left of the console window and using the Edit menu items (mark = select by dragging over the text you want to copy).

If you use the xampp_start.exe file then you should also use the xampp_stop.exe file.

Try this, click on the Stop buttons in the XAMPP Control Panel so Apache and MySQL are not running, then try your xampp_start.exe and xampp_stop.exe and you will see different messages returned than the one you have posted about here - leave the XAMPP Control Panel window open so you can watch it working in real time when you run the xampp_start.exe and the xampp_stop.exe, you will see that it changes the running indications.

BTW the term "XAMPP is not started" is only confirming the message above it that the XAMPP components are already running so no need to try and start them again - the message is not saying that XAMPP is not started in the true sense, as there is no XAMPP to start anyway, only the components and they are already running.

It is just the way that the exe file has been worded when it was compiled by someone who's native language is not English and so it may lead to some confusion by some people.

Perhaps it should have been worded:
"XAMPP components are already running so no need to try and start them again.
Please proceed to http://localhost to test your installation"

Personally I don't use those exe files preferring instead to use the XAMPP Control Panel to start and stop those XAMPP components that I want running and if there are any issues starting Apache or MySQL in the XCP then I use the apache_start.bat file or the mysql_start.bat file which will give an informative message why they can't start - see above how to copy and paste the console window messages which may be a little quicker than creating screen shots. ;)

IMHO, Wiedmann wants to know the name of the file that contains both html and php, as it should be named with a .php extension rather than a .html extension so the server will parse the php code as well as the html code.

HTML plus php = file.php
HTML only = file.html
PHP only = file.php

I hope this helps with any confusion that seems to generated in this topic.

To test your installation is running go to:
http://localhost and exercise the demos including the CD Collection demo which also exercises MySQL so you can tell if both Apache and MySQL are indeed running.

If the demos work out and you still have problems with your own html\php coded files then that is where we need to look to solve those problems.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Return to XAMPP for Windows