XAMPP decided to quit working (forever???)

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

XAMPP decided to quit working (forever???)

Postby aardWolf » 30. April 2009 22:17

I am an Administrator with UAC turned off on a Vista machine. I started a new job two weeks ago, and I downloaded XAMPP 1.7.1 so I can do some PHP form development on my local box. I've been using XAMPP for years.

Everything was working fine with this installation (even this morning.) After a reboot (I updated Adobe CS3 with a patch), I started Apache back up and noticed that it no longer handles PHP files properly. It just loads a blank page (with no viewable source.)

To attempt to resolve, I backed up my 5-6 needed php files, uninstalled XAMPP, and installed from scratch. The index.php that redirects to the xampp folder works fine, but nothing in the xampp folder is viewable (and none of my php files will actually display anything.)

Can anyone help? Should I try using an older version?
aardWolf

Re: XAMPP decided to quit working (forever???)

Postby Sharley » 30. April 2009 23:04

Open http://localhost/xampp/phpinfo.php if possible and locate the line:
Loaded Configuration File

In 1.7.1 the file should be in the xampp\php folder.

If you can't open the phpinfo file then see If you have any other php.ini files elsewhere on your PC - rename them except of course any found in the xampp folder.

Let me know if there is any improvement please.
Thanks.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby aardWolf » 01. May 2009 14:04

Using phpinfo() just returns a blank page with a zero on it. Viewing the source shows me that it's only returning "0".

I've uninstalled Xampp, manually deleted the folder, rebooted, and reinstalled. I'm still getting the same behavior.

There is only one copy of php.ini on my hard drive, and it's in c:\xampp
aardWolf

Postby aardWolf » 01. May 2009 19:29

I used System Restore to put my machine back to the state it was in before it stopped working. PHPInfo() and other PHP files now work, but I'm having trouble getting my Oracle DB connection to work. I'm getting the following error message:

Warning: oci_connect() [function.oci-connect]: OCIEnvNlsCreate() failed. There is something wrong with your system - please check that PATH includes the directory with Oracle Instant Client libraries in C:\xampp\htdocs\db.php on line 10
Connection failed.
aardWolf

Postby aardWolf » 01. May 2009 20:41

I installed the Oracle Instant Client DLL's in a folder in my system path, then restarted Apache. Then I was getting this error message every time I attempted to connect to a DB:

The procedure entry point nzssGEBV_GetEntryByValue could not be located in the dynamic link library orannzsbb10.dll.

Searching on that took me to another post in this forum with the following suggestion:

"Delete the files oci.dll, ociw32.dll and orannzsbb10.dll in \xampp\php and \xampp\apache\bin."

After I did this and restarted Apache, everything is back to normal.
aardWolf

Postby sugusmuc » 14. September 2010 13:31

Thanks for your posting.
I was comparing for hours two XAMPP versions, one running without problems, the other one (1.7.1.) generating "Warning: oci_connect() [function.oci-connect]: ORA-12705: invalid or unknown NLS parameter" all the time when I tried to connect with oracle.
So I discovered the oci.dll and the ociw32.dll in the apache/bin folder.

Wondering what they might do there, I searched in this forum and found your posting.
I did the same as you did - et voilà: OCI works.

Kind regards, sugus
sugusmuc

Operating System: Linux Suse 64-bit 11 SP 2

Return to XAMPP for Windows