Is anyone else having a problem with 1.7.1 download

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Is anyone else having a problem with 1.7.1 download

Postby webbones » 22. April 2009 16:08

Yesterday, I downloaded v1.7.1 installer version. When I executed the install, I encountered numerous file errors. I retried the download with no improvement.

Any thoughts ...
webbones

Re: Is anyone else having a problem with 1.7.1 download

Postby Sharley » 22. April 2009 22:28

webbones wrote:Yesterday, I downloaded v1.7.1 installer version. When I executed the install, I encountered numerous file errors. I retried the download with no improvement.

Any thoughts ...
Not much to go on to give you my thoughts, I'm afraid.

What version of XAMPP and what OS are you using?

What are these error messages you get.

Try uninstalling this attempt then remove the xampp folder and change the method of installation by using the self extracting EXE (7zip) version and extract to the C:\ drive which will place all files in C:\xampp.

Then run setup_xampp.bat file to set the paths.

Next run the XAMPP Control Panel xampp-control.exe and start Apache and MySQL.

Then go to http://localhost to test the installation.

See if that gives a more positive result.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby webbones » 24. April 2009 10:31

Thanks for the advice. But problem has been resolved. I tried another download which worked much better. (Probably avoided the rsinstorm that screwd up the first one!) Also, copied over some password files from another machine and everything came up fine.

Thanks again.
webbones

Postby laptop hobo » 25. April 2009 05:26

Hi I'm new at all this so advice in laymen's terms would be much appreciated. That said, I'm having the same problem with installation. I've installed XAMPP 1.7.1 (twice now). I'm on a Vista 64bit system.

The first time I got the error message: Ports 80 or 443(SSL) already in use. Installing Apache2.2 Service Failed. (I also got the following error message: "Port 3306 already in use. MySQL Service Failed.") However, the final message said that the installation was successful.

I followed the instruction in this thread about uninstalling and re-installing. I've done that. When I go to http://www.localhost.com/ I get "Page Load Error. Connection Interrupted"

I've opened the Control Panel and the 4 items have "Start" selected. Only MySQL modules is checked off. Below I get this message:
XAMPP Control Panel Version 2.5 (9. May, 2007)
Windows 6.0 Build 6001 Platform 2 Service Pack 1
Current Directory: c:\xampp
Install Directory: c:\xampp
Status Check OK
Busy...
MySql service stopped.

Help.
laptop hobo

Postby webbones » 25. April 2009 21:55

You can try stopping the IIS service using Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Component Services/services local. Then try starting Apache via the XAMPP Control Panel. If that doesn't work, try uninstalling then re-installing 1.7.1!

Good luck.
webbones

Postby laptop hobo » 26. April 2009 04:00

webones,

Thanks for the advice. However, when I look at my Control Panel, it has none of the options you mentioned. To see a screen shot of my control panel, please go to: http://www.nunomad.com/bn/screenshot.jpg. If you could direct me from there, that would be greatly appreciated.

laptop hobo :D
laptop hobo

Postby webbones » 26. April 2009 11:55

Try Windows Control Panel!
webbones

Postby laptop hobo » 26. April 2009 12:40

Hmm. You said try "stopping the IIS service using Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Component Services/services local."

Vista Ultimate must have a different navigation structure. When I go to Control Panel\Administrative Tools, I don't get the "Component Services" option, rather "Computer Management". When I enter that folder, I'm offered "Services and Applications" instead of "Services Local" as you pointed. On this page there's two choices: "Services" and WMI Control. WMI shows nothing in particular, "Services" produces a list of running applications that can be stopped and started. (Could this be the right place?). On the list, however, there is no "IIS service" per your instructions. There are some items beginning with "I", but nothing that reflects the IIS abbreviation.

Can you help further?
laptop hobo

Postby Wiedmann » 26. April 2009 13:11

Can you help further?

Just use the Windows help and manual. All infos, e.g. how to manage services (and IIS), are there.
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby laptop hobo » 26. April 2009 13:46

I Tried that. The legendary Windows documentation falters once again.

So, anyone out there wish to take a stab at this?

Thanks again.
laptop hobo

Postby Wiedmann » 26. April 2009 14:10

Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby Sharley » 26. April 2009 22:09

laptop hobo wrote:So, anyone out there wish to take a stab at this?
Also a forum search usually has all the answers:
viewtopic.php?p=134260#p134260
Sharley
AF Moderator

Postby laptop hobo » 27. April 2009 04:24

Sharley,

Thanks for the instructions about IIS. I got to the page and found that the box was already checked off, so it was not running after all. I then went back to setup_xampp.bat file to set the paths. The CMD message stated "Sorry, but ...nothing to do!" And I've uninstalled and reinstalled the program twice.
laptop hobo

Postby IamJim » 27. April 2009 04:38

Hello Laptop Hobo,

I'll take a stab at it.. :-) But, I must tell you your OS is terrble...(laugh)

With that said, and me being and AntiXP and on guy, running Win2KPro, Server versions...etc...

Now, the Vista deal... I've never seen it, (nor need to) and hopfully never will...but is it possible that you've created users....etc...and not running as an admin? w/full permissions?

Also, I just installed this the first time...this eve...had a problem, w/ Apache not starting...but a reboot did the trick...so now I'm trying to figure out why I can't get a php page to display other than text mode.

Jim
IamJim

Postby Sharley » 27. April 2009 05:02

I followed the instruction in this thread about uninstalling and re-installing. I've done that. When I go to http://www.localhost.com/ I get "Page Load Error. Connection Interrupted"
This URI is incorrect it should be http://localhost/

So lets recap, you have Apache started showing the green running indication?

You can't start MySQL but the Svc box is checked and no green running indication?

Anything else you can tell me about your issues may help.

Are you logged in as an administrator?
Have you disabled UAC?

When you installed a couple of times did you uninstall each attempt correctly first?
That is stop everything in the XAMPP control Panel.
Close the XCP.
Run xampp\mysql\mysql_uninstallservice.bat file.
Run xampp\apache\apache_uninstallservice.bat file.
Run any other uninstallservice bat files for any other component installed as a service when you ran the XAMPP installer.
Delete the xampp folder.

Reboot your PC and then check in the Windows Service Control Manager that there is no apache or mysql services in the list.

You should now be able to install XAMPP again - but have you thought about using the EXE (7zip) self extracting version by downloading then double clicking on the downloaded file and selecting the C:\ drive to extract the files to.
It will then extract the files to C:\xampp for you with all the files in the correct places.
Then run the setup_xampp.bat file to set the paths.
Next double click on the xampp-control.exe file and start Apache and MySQL but don't tick the Svc boxes just yet.
Go to http://localhost select you language and off you go.

This is in my opinion the much easier and less of a chance of induced errors manual install method.

The installer version method is relying on the person (developer) who put the installer together having some clue about what he is doing, but in this instance of the XAMPP installer I very much doubt it simply because of all the installer problems that have to be sorted out in these forums and in the latest version 1.7.1 nothing appears to have changed.
Last edited by Sharley on 27. April 2009 05:16, edited 2 times in total.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Next

Return to XAMPP for Windows