vista home edition

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

vista home edition

Postby larry_b » 19. March 2009 12:04

The documentation says that vista ultimate has been tested. I have vista home edition instead of vista ultimate. Will I have any problems with that?

Also I already have an apache sever on my computer that is made by firepages.com.au. Will I need to remove that before installing xampp?

Thanks for any information.

Larry
larry_b

Re: vista home edition

Postby Izzy » 19. March 2009 12:14

It should work with Vista Home as long as you are logged in as an administrator and have UAC disabled.

The other server may not be required if you install XAMPP so it may prevent a conflict if you first removed the other Apache server especially if it includes php - make sure that the other server is uninstalled cleanly ie. no residue left in the registry or php paths in the Environment Variables and no other php.ini files in the Windows or any other folder on your PC or you will have conflicts with those components included in XAMPP.

May I ask why you are considering XAMPP over the other server suit from firepages?
Izzy

Postby larry_b » 19. March 2009 12:19

Thanks for the answer.

Yes, I am wanting to work with WordPress and was told that I should install xampp on my computer to run it.

Larry
larry_b

Postby larry_b » 19. March 2009 12:20

Also, I was never able to get MySQL to work over on Firepages.

Larry
larry_b

Postby Izzy » 19. March 2009 12:29

WordPress will work fine in XAMPP and a forum search, using the advanced search feature, in the XAMPP for Windows forum for keyword wordpress will find many post, some helpful.

I did a tutorial on how to create a WordPress database in phpMyAdmin for another member which may be found in the search results and if not I will give you a link when you are ready.

Tip - download the EXE (7zip) self extracting version and extract to the C:\ drive which will put the files into C:\xampp folder in their proper places.

Then run the setup_xampp.bat file found in the C:\xampp folder to set all the paths correctly.

Then run xampp-control.exe found again in the C:\xampp to Start the Apache and MySQL components, but do not click on the Admin... button next to MySQL or you will have bad errors, use phpMyAdmin instead.
Izzy

Postby larry_b » 19. March 2009 12:32

Thanks Izzy!

Larry
larry_b

Return to XAMPP for Windows