phpMyAdmin - No Privileges - Can't create database

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

phpMyAdmin - No Privileges - Can't create database

Postby cmykdesign » 15. March 2009 04:07

Hi,
I'm using the lite zip version of XAMPP for simple local server web design on XP sp3. Everything is running correctly (no errors in the admin panels and everything is connected etc) BUT when I access http://localhost/phpmyadmin (located inside D:\xampplite\htdocs) it says under Create new database: that i have "No Privileges"

I have no password set (default config.inc.php settings) and even logged in with the following names "root@localhot", "myphpadmin", and "admin" but still I have no privileges

I just can't figure this out, so any help would be greatly appreciated!
cmykdesign

Re: phpMyAdmin - No Privileges - Can't create database

Postby Christopher_John » 15. March 2009 04:24

I'm just taking a guess and I am completely new to xampp...but do you have administrative permissions on your Windows install?.
CJ
Christopher_John

Postby Izzy » 15. March 2009 04:40

Check this line in the config.inc.php file looks like this:
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type'] = 'cookie';

If you have not set a password for the super user root for MySQL/phpMyAdmin in the security page then when asked for a username in phpMyAdmin you use just root not (root@YoMammasPlace etc. no privileges for this root user) and don't enter a password then click on Go and you should have privileges of the super user root which is all.

BTW if you create a database don't use root as the username but use another username for each specific database you create.

Your super user root in the wrong hands can wipe out all your databases where an individual user for a specific database can only access and see that database.

Also best set a password for root in the link on the http://localhost/security page.
Izzy

Postby cmykdesign » 15. March 2009 05:07

Hi Izzy and thanks for the quick reply!

I did get it to work but I had to create a password as root w/no pass would not work when logging in to myphpadmin. I restart all services and I can now create the database :) but now I am curious that since I created the new password in http://localhost/security/xamppsecurity.php do I now have to enter that password in the config.inc.php and the My.ini file (WinMySQLadmin)? Everything seems to work great the way it is but just wondering if I should change tp prevent future problems....

Thanks!!!
cmykdesign

Postby Izzy » 15. March 2009 05:21

cmykdesign wrote:I did get it to work but I had to create a password as root w/no pass would not work when logging in to myphpadmin. I restart all services and I can now create the database :) but now I am curious that since I created the new password in http://localhost/security/xamppsecurity.php do I now have to enter that password in the config.inc.php and the My.ini file (WinMySQLadmin)? Everything seems to work great the way it is but just wondering if I should change tp prevent future problems....
Do not use WinMySQLAdmin or you will have more errors than you have bargained for - DO NOT click on the MySQL Admin... button in the XCP and if you have the traffic light icon in the System Tray then right click on it and select Win NT> and Shutdown this tool, then go to your XCP and remove the tick in the Svc box to allow MySQL to run again - you can also delete the my.ini file if it has not already been done when you shut down the admin tool.

As a safety precaution to prevent you from accidentally clicking on the MySQL Admin... button again simply delete the 3 WinMySQLAdmin files in the xampp\mysql\bin folder - job done.

No need to add your password for root user anywhere after creating it in the security page, all is taken care of.
Izzy

Postby cmykdesign » 15. March 2009 18:55

Done. Thanks again Izzy for all your help!
cmykdesign

Return to XAMPP for Windows