Create a new Joomla Website

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Create a new Joomla Website

Postby newprogr » 27. February 2009 22:43

I successfully downloaded XAMPP server onto my stand-alone computer (Windows XP). Also, I successfully downloaded Joomla for my first Joomla Website. I downloaded Joomla into a sub folder under the 'htdocs' folder under XAMPP. Now, I wish to create another website. How do I perform this process? Do I download Joomla again into another sub-folder to 'htdocs'? I tried doing this and received an error during the installation process. Error - 'Unable to connect to the database: Could not connect to MySql'. What is the process for creating additional website? Please advise. Thanks
newprogr

Re: Create a new Joomla Website

Postby Izzy » 28. February 2009 01:08

newprogr wrote:...What is the process for creating additional website? Please advise...
For multiple websites search this forum for vhost or virtualhost which has many working examples and much info for your needs - experiment with the examples then if your virtualhost configuration gives issues post back here your httpd-vhosts.conf file so we can take a look and advise a solution.
Last edited by Izzy on 12. March 2009 10:11, edited 1 time in total.
Izzy

Postby Wiedmann » 28. February 2009 01:34

Do I download Joomla again into another sub-folder to 'htdocs'?

Yes.

(regardless if you are using VirtualHosts or not)

I tried doing this and received an error during the installation process. Error - 'Unable to connect to the database: Could not connect to MySql'.

If MySQL is running, you provide wrong MySQL parameters for this installation:
- is Joomla asking you for a MySQL user/password/database?
- or must you edit a config file

Just one thing:
You must use a different database or a different table prefix for this Joomla installation, as for the first one.
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

MySql Error Message

Postby newprogr » 28. February 2009 06:04

During Joomla installation, received the following messages; 'Unable to connect to the database - Could not connect to MySql'
During the Pre-Installation Check screen - Display Errors indicator was 'On'. However, this message do not indicate what is expected. Where or what should I check? Should I indicate something in the Mysql screen in XAMPP? I am new to this process. Please advise. Thanks
newprogr

Postby fasteez » 28. February 2009 14:16

Joomla can be installed even if the "Display errors" is on. I just did it 5 times this week.
Can you check if your mysql server is running correctly ?

I'm new to this too, and the joomla tutorial ( joomla installation guide ) was enough to install it easily.

Good luck anyway :)
fasteez

Postby floridamary4 » 06. April 2009 13:47

First of all you’ll have to install Joomla and then follow the outlined steps.

part 1: The clean-up.

1. Now that all the extensions are installed, the first thing you should do is erase all the content items that remain from the Joomla installation.
2. You should erase the categories and sections
3. Time to clean up the menus! Go to the administration index page an click on the “Menu Manager” icon.
4. Let’s unpublish some modules

Part 2: Site layout and pages.

1. We need to create a section that will hold the content categories, and then create the categories which will hold the content
2. To create the pages go back to the administration index and click on “Static Content Manager”. After the manager loads click on “New” in the top right part of the page
3. Creating blog entries is just as easy as creating static content - the difference is that in the administration backend you have to click on the “Content Items Manager” icon and then create new pages.
4. The contact form is an important part of all sites and ours is already made. If not, it is easy to create a new one. Go to Components -> Contacts -> Manage Contacts. After the Contact Manager loads you should see one contact form; click it and then edit the text boxes so the details that you want appear on the form.
5. The newsflash module will list the last x number (this is configurable) of items from a specified category. To edit the options go to Modules -> Site Modules and then click on the “Newsflash” module.

web design chennai
floridamary4

Return to XAMPP for Windows