Attempting to find localhost, but get page not found

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Attempting to find localhost, but get page not found

Postby lam411 » 20. February 2009 17:53

I had a working XAMPP but at somepoint it stopped finding the local host. I had Joomla 1.5 working and attempted to install MediaWiki before I realized that Apache wouldn't start. I needed Tomcat to run MediaWiki, and Java SDK to install Tomcat. So I reinstalled XAMPP several times, thinking that was the problem. I used the new, complete installer after removing the previous version. I'm running XP Pro on Windows. I now have several versions of JAVA and don't know which is which.

Everytime I try to start Apache I get "apache cannot be started" and an "Error 1" message.
I cannot get to the XAMPP page that should show up when I type localhost/xampp. The following return the "page can't be found" error:
localhost
localhost/xampp
Even trying the path c:/xampp/htdocs/index.php just gets that page to open in Dreamweaver.

127.0.0.1:8080 takes me to the Sun Java Platform server.

Check ports shows 80 is available. Firewalls are off. Apparently I have two versions of Apache running...2. and 2.2. While xampp is running, Services says both Apache 2 and 2.2 are not. I can't figure out whether Apache 2 or 2.2 is trying to handle xampp, or even if that is how it works. Apache 2.2 is the one that won't start. Apache 2 does start and I get an "It works" message, but I changed that message in the xampp folder to make sure the right one was loading, and the "It Works" I get is from somewhere else and I can't figure out where!

I have read most of the postings here about difficulty getting localhost to work properly, but haven't found one that seems to work for me.

Can anyone please point me back in the right direction?
lam411

Re: Attempting to find localhost, but get page not found

Postby dmphotography » 20. February 2009 19:42

What does your /xampp/apache/logs/error.log show at the bottom?
For great video and written tutorials and guides on creating your own web server and installing things such as forums, blogs, etc., visit http://myownhomeserver.com
dmphotography

Operating System: Windows 7

Postby lam411 » 20. February 2009 20:10

The log is empty. It seems localhost is not taking me to the xampp folder at all. I can't figure out how to get it to go where it should.
lam411

Postby dmphotography » 20. February 2009 20:50

I recommend uninstalling XAMPP and make sure after you uninstall it, you delete the xampp folder, because it usually won't remove it.

Then go to http://localhost/ again and see if you still get the "It Works" message. If so, search for apache.exe and find where the other instance of apache is located, then maybe try running the ApacheMonitor.exe and stopping it, then try deleting that folder. Also, look in your Add/Remove Programs in the control panel and see if Apache is in there. Use that to uninstall it instead if it is.

If you can't delete it, click on your start menu and select "Run" and type msconfig, then press enter. Click on the "Services" tab and the "Startup" tab and see if there's anything in either of them that says Apache. If so, uncheck the box and then restart your computer. You should be able to finish deleting it after your system starts back up. Once that's finished, try re-installing XAMPP and everything should work fine after that.
For great video and written tutorials and guides on creating your own web server and installing things such as forums, blogs, etc., visit http://myownhomeserver.com
dmphotography

Operating System: Windows 7

Postby Wiedmann » 20. February 2009 21:27

Apache 2 does start and I get an "It works" message, ... and the "It Works" I get is from somewhere else and I can't figure out where!

You can use this command to find the directory for this Apache 2 (assuming the service name is "apache2"):
Code: Select all
sc qc apache2 | findstr "BINARY_PATH_NAME"
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby lam411 » 20. February 2009 23:14

Thank you all.

I did remove all the various Apache installations and it still didn't work.

Then I found out what does work...something I could have done in seconds several days ago:

Turn off Skype. If that allows Apache to open, disable the "Use port 80 as alternative port" in the advanced options of Skype.

Took me 18 hours to find that out.
lam411

Return to XAMPP for Windows