how do I enter MySQL data?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

how do I enter MySQL data?

Postby Hobo » 17. February 2009 17:27

I am a newbee at forum boards. I downloaded the "self extracting" version of XAMPP for windows XP. I check to install all the services. That process went well. Now I started the Apache and tried to start MySQL. I went to the handy Control Panel and MySQL won't start. It tinkered around and finally got to the point where I had to enter a username and password.

The problem is I have not yet entered all MySQL data; namely
MySQL Host :This is usually localhost.
MySQL Database Name :
MySQL Username :
MySQL Password :
MySQL Table Prefix :

I have setup the database at my domain host, along with all the passwords - so I have all the information. I tried to start mysql_start.bat - but it just gave me an old DOS screen and no chance to enter data.

Question: How do I get all MySQL data entered into the XAMPP program? I have done searches on the problem and see something about a config. file - but I can't find that anywhere.

What is the magic to entering the basic MySQL data?
Hobo

Re: how do I enter MySQL data?

Postby Wiedmann » 17. February 2009 17:37

I went to the handy Control Panel and MySQL won't start.

First we must verify: Is MySQL working now?

It tinkered around and finally got to the point where I had to enter a username and password.

You are talking about WinMySQLAdmin?
--> Don't use this program.
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby Hobo » 18. February 2009 15:06

Wiedmann wrote:
I went to the handy Control Panel and MySQL won't start.

First we must verify: Is MySQL working now?

Answer: No... I am trying to use the MySQL service by using the XAMPP Control Panel. Right now MySQL will not start. I push the "start button", and the scrowl box below says MySQL service started, but in the main control XAMPP Control Panel, the MySQL is still not started.

Previously, when I had tried to open the MySQL service in the XAMPP Control Panel, a new window did open. As I recall, it was a blue box, with blue, graphic script saying MySQL and it ask me for my username and password. I entered the name and password of my domain provider's Hosting Control Panel where I had previously set my database name and database user access privileges. Obviously this was the wrong answer, because now, when I try to start the MySQL service in XAMPP Control Panel I get no response - as described in the paragraph above.

Looking for additional help, I then open the "Start PHPMyAdmin" at address http://127.0.0.1/phpmyadmin". This web page gave me this error:

Welcome to phpMyAdmin
Error
#2003 - The server is not responding
! Connection for controluser as defined in your configuration failed

Okay, moving on to your second question:

Wiedmann wrote:
It tinkered around and finally got to the point where I had to enter a username and password.

You are talking about WinMySQLAdmin?
--> Don't use this program.

I did not use this program for anything except checking status. I opened it at https://localhost/xampp/. Right now I use it to check my status, I can see the following data:

MySQL database Deactivated
PHP Deactivated
HTTPS (SSL) Activated
Common Gateway INterface Deactivated
Server Side Includes Deactivated
SMTP Service Deactivated
FTP Service Activated

I hope this response gives you a clue as to where my problem lies. I appreciate your help.
Hobo

Postby Wiedmann » 18. February 2009 15:36

I push the "start button", and the scrowl box below says
Code: Select all
MySQL service started
, but in the main control XAMPP Control Panel, the MySQL is still not started.

Every service is logging its problems to the Windows event log.
--> read this, to see what's the problem and what you must do.

. I opened it at https://localhost/xampp/.

OK, so you are talking about the XAMPP demo page... At which point (page) must you enter username and password?

Previously, when I had tried to open the MySQL service in the XAMPP Control Panel, a new window did open. As I recall, it was a blue box, with blue, graphic script saying MySQL and it ask me for my username and password

How have you opened the "MySQL service", which button? Is this new window "WinMySQLAdmin"?
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby Hobo » 18. February 2009 17:05

Wiedmann wrote:
I push the "start button", and the scrowl box below says
MySQL service started
, but in the main control XAMPP Control Panel, the MySQL is still not started.

Every service is logging its problems to the Windows event log.
--> read this, to see what's the problem and what you must do.

Ok, this is a bit out of my league, but I assume you are talking about Computer Management(Local), System Tools
Event Viewer. Under Applications I can see two errors:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: XAMPP
Event Category: None
Event ID: 0
Date: 2/17/2009
Time: 11:55:21 PM
User: N/A
Computer: HOME
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( XAMPP ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: XAMPP Service Error: 1063, StartServiceCtrlDispatcher failed..

and

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Apache Service
Event Category: None
Event ID: 3299
Date: 2/17/2009
Time: 12:00:20 AM
User: N/A
Computer: HOME
Description:
The Apache service named reported the following error:
>>> apache.exe: Could not open configuration file C:/xampp/apache/conf/httpd.conf: The system cannot find the file specified. .

I also looked in my Services (local) section of the Administrative Tools (using Windows XP), and I can see the MySQL. It is supposed to start automatically, but it shows an error message..."could not start the mysql service on local computer.
process terminated unexpectedly." The path to executable is shown as C:\xampp\mysql\bin\mysqld.exe --defaults-file=C:\xampp\mysql\bin\my.cnf mysql

Wiedmann wrote:

. I opened it at https://localhost/xampp/.

OK, so you are talking about the XAMPP demo page... At which point (page) must you enter username and password?

This page loads instantly without a username or password. I don't recall exactly, but when I executed the .exe file and loaded XAMPP on my computer I don't believe I needed a username or password anywhere. I needed one to get on this forum, and also when I downloaded the original file from your server. I don't think this is a demo page - it sure doesn't act or look like it.

Wiedmann wrote:
Previously, when I had tried to open the MySQL service in the XAMPP Control Panel, a new window did open. As I recall, it was a blue box, with blue, graphic script saying MySQL and it ask me for my username and password

How have you opened the "MySQL service", which button? Is this new window "WinMySQLAdmin"?
[/quote]

No I worked out of the XAMPP Control Panel exclusively. I have several rows in a box entitled Modules. In the box I can see various services: Apache, MySQL, FileZilla. Each one of these rows have columns listing: running (or not) , start/stop, and admin. It was this start button that I pushed to enter the initial "MySQL" window.

As a possible solution here, is there anyway I can completely uninstall the entire XAMPP program and completely cleanse the entire program - that way I am starting with a clean slate
Hobo

Postby Wiedmann » 18. February 2009 17:22

I needed one to get on this forum, and also when I downloaded the original file from your server.

You don't need a password to download XAMPP from sourceforge.... (our download server)

It was this start button that I pushed to enter the initial "MySQL" window.

Not possible. But maybe if you hit on "admin". This starts WinMySQLAdmin which want have an user/password.

Or are you using a beta version?

Well.
- First close the Control Panel.
- Stop WinMySQLAdmin, if it's running and remove it from the startup folder (if it's there)
- open a command shell (cmd.exe). And execute these commands:
sc delete apache2.2
sc delete mysql

Now start the Control Panel and try again.
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Return to XAMPP for Windows