XAMPP crashed suddenly

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

XAMPP crashed suddenly

Postby ckosloff » 11. February 2009 05:48

I never made any edit to XAMPP files.
However, all of a sudden, it crashed.
When I attempt to get to the home page I get these errors:
Warning: file_get_contents(lang.tmp) [function.file-get-contents]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in C:\xampp\htdocs\xampp\index.php on line 2

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at C:\xampp\htdocs\xampp\index.php:2) in C:\xampp\htdocs\xampp\index.php on line 4
Apparently the problem is in file index.php, which I never modified and worked fine, until now.
Apache and MySQL are running as services, I can access the front and back end of my site but cannot backup database in order to reinstall XAMPP.
This is critical for me as all my work is there.
I can usually backup database from a built-in utility in Zen Cart, but that is not working either, with error:
Result code: 1
Warning 0 => 'mysqldump" "--host' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
Warning 1 => operable program or batch file.
Error Failure: The database has NOT been saved.
Cannot access phpMyadmin because cannot open XAMPP.
Please help.
Carlos K.
ckosloff

Re: XAMPP crashed suddenly

Postby Izzy » 11. February 2009 05:56

You may have just run a disk cleanup which will delete .tmp and .temp files and if so make sure you have it not do any cleanup in the C:\xampp folder as it may even have deleted other empty files (zero length files) also that are needed by XAMPP.

Open your text editor and save a blank file called lang.tmp to the C:\xampp\htdocs\xampp folder.

Then go to http://localhost and select your language again.

Let us know back if that fixed it.
Izzy

Postby ckosloff » 11. February 2009 14:18

Izzy wrote:You may have just run a disk cleanup which will delete .tmp and .temp files and if so make sure you have it not do any cleanup in the C:\xampp folder as it may even have deleted other empty files (zero length files) also that are needed by XAMPP.

Open your text editor and save a blank file called lang.tmp to the C:\xampp\htdocs\xampp folder.

Then go to http://localhost and select your language again.

Let us know back if that fixed it.

Hi,
Thanks for quick answer.
It is true that I ran an aggressive disk cleanup, never imagined that could have caused the problem.
lang.tmp was not there, I re-created it but that didn't fix the problem.
Please let me know what other files may have been accidentally deleted.
Thanks.
Carlos K.
ckosloff

Postby ckosloff » 11. February 2009 18:54

Alternatively, please let me know how to launch phpMyadmin.
That way I can save the DB and reinstall XAMPP.
Thanks.
Carlos K.
ckosloff

Postby ckosloff » 11. February 2009 19:02

GOT IT!!!! :lol:
Thankyou!!!!
Just moved lang.tmp to htdocs/xampp/
Now let me know just one thing: I have patch 1 installed.
Should I install patch 2 on top of it???
Thanks again.
Carlos K.
ckosloff

Postby Izzy » 11. February 2009 19:48

ckosloff wrote:Now let me know just one thing: I have patch 1 installed.
Should I install patch 2 on top of it???
Thanks again.
Yes you can.

BTW your disk cleanup will have deleted many zero length files that may affect your installation and then again may not, only time will tell.

This post by Sharley gave some indication as to just how many zero length files may have been deleted.
viewtopic.php?p=127837#p127837
Last edited by Izzy on 11. February 2009 20:44, edited 1 time in total.
Izzy

Postby ckosloff » 11. February 2009 20:41

Thanks so much for reply.
I have Xampp up again on that machine, and already backed up DB and all the site files.
I also installed XAMPP successfully on another machine.
So I'm just going to move the site there, and reinstall XAMPP on first machine, to be on the safe side.
Will of course read the post you recommend.
Thanks again for the great replies.
Carlos K.
ckosloff

Postby Izzy » 11. February 2009 21:10

Your welcome.

Tips
When reinstalling use the EXE (7zip) version and extract to the C:\ drive which will then create C:\xampp and place all the files in their correct location, then simply run the setup_xampp.bat file to set the paths correctly.

Don't install any services unless you know you will need to have XAMPP components start up automatically after a reboot - usually only needed if you have a server connected to a permanent Internet connection.

Make sure you follow the uninstall instructions especially making sure that all XAMPP components are stopped including the XAMPP Control Panel (XCP) and all XAMPP components that may be installed as a service have been uninstalled as a service including the XCP, then delete the xampp folder.

Reboot and make certain that no XAMPP components are running again by checking in the Task Manager before attempting to install XAMPP again or you will have issues with the new install as is posted on these forums in ever increasing numbers because it seems the above procedure was not followed.

Never try and install into an existing xampp folder.

Good luck and now enjoy XAMPP.
Izzy

Postby ckosloff » 11. February 2009 23:33

Izzy wrote:Your welcome.

Tips
When reinstalling use the EXE (7zip) version and extract to the C:\ drive which will then create C:\xampp and place all the files in their correct location, then simply run the setup_xampp.bat file to set the paths correctly.
Don't install any services unless you know you will need to have XAMPP components start up automatically after a reboot - usually only needed if you have a server connected to a permanent Internet connection.
Make sure you follow the uninstall instructions especially making sure that all XAMPP components are stopped including the XAMPP Control Panel (XCP) and all XAMPP components that may be installed as a service have been uninstalled as a service including the XCP, then delete the xampp folder.
Reboot and make certain that no XAMPP components are running again by checking in the Task Manager before attempting to install XAMPP again or you will have issues with the new install as is posted on these forums in ever increasing numbers because it seems the above procedure was not followed.
Never try and install into an existing xampp folder.
Good luck and now enjoy XAMPP.

Thanks again for the detailed and instructive post.
However, this raises some questions.
I never tried the zip file, so far I have used the installer without any problems.
I was unaware that you could use an alternative procedure, like unzipping and then running the setup_xampp.bat.
I don't connect Xampp to Internet (like running a household website?), I only use it as a dev server.
That's basically what I do with the two comps. where I installed it, so I think that having Apache and MySQL run as services at startup simplifies things for me.
Not sure how I would install or uninstall those services after installing Xampp, please clarify.
Where are the uninstall instructions?
I don't know how to uninstall Apache and MySQL as services.
This is what I plan on doing, it has worked so far, but there is always room for improvement.
I stop all services in XCP, then run a free program called Revo uninstaller, which does a complete uninstall, including registry and folder left-overs.
Then I manually check for left-overs, that includes the c:\xampp installation folder, of course.
Then I reboot, and check on Administrative Tools --> Services if something is running.
If everything is OK, I run the installer, do not run XCP at finish (select NO), install patch, reboot.
It usually works fine, but again, please clarify my questions, because I am always willing to learn and improve.
Thanks a lot.
Carlos K.
ckosloff

Return to XAMPP for Windows