Apache and MySQL will not start

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Apache and MySQL will not start

Postby EXreaction » 10. February 2009 19:32

If I open XAMPP control panel and try to start any of the applications it says...

Busy...
Apache Started [Port 80]

or
Busy...
MySql started [Port 3306]

But neither are started. I do get the message
Warning: Directory mismatch

This is on Win7 and I've tried running it as an admin with no luck.
EXreaction

Re: Apache and MySQL will not start

Postby Izzy » 10. February 2009 22:03

Ignore the Directory Mismatch message it is not important and will not affect anything.

What makes you think that Apache and MySQL are not running - did you go to http://localhost and what did you see there?

If you see nothing then go in to the xampp folder and run apache_start.bat file and see what the message tells you.

Make sure your firewall and/or you anti-virus scanner is not blocking port 80 and port 443 - temporarily disable them and test again.
Izzy

Postby EXreaction » 11. February 2009 03:59

They just are not running, it continues to say start where the start/stop button is and if I check both are not running. Accessing localhost tells me that it couldn't connect to server.

I've tried running apache_start.bat, and that did make it start, however once the prompt was closed apached closed as well. No message was given, just a blank screen.

The ports are available, I tested them with the port checking tool. There is no AV installed and it is using the Windows firewall, which does not block it locally (I don't think any firewall will block local access).
EXreaction

Postby Izzy » 11. February 2009 04:07

EXreaction wrote:They just are not running, it continues to say start where the start/stop button is and if I check both are not running. Accessing localhost tells me that it couldn't connect to server.
Try http://127.0.0.1 instead, let me know back if that works - what OS are you using?

EXreaction wrote:I've tried running apache_start.bat, and that did make it start, however once the prompt was closed apached closed as well. No message was given, just a blank screen.
That is what the message tells you after Apache has started, it says Please close this command only for Shutdown and Apache will stop, leave it open and Apache is still running.

EXreaction wrote:The ports are available, I tested them with the port checking tool. There is no AV installed and it is using the Windows firewall...
Windows firewall is only half a firewall as it only blocks incoming requests not outgoing requests - but as they say, half a firewall is better than no firewall at all, but only marginally.
Izzy

Postby EXreaction » 11. February 2009 04:17

Izzy wrote:
EXreaction wrote:They just are not running, it continues to say start where the start/stop button is and if I check both are not running. Accessing localhost tells me that it couldn't connect to server.
Try http://127.0.0.1 instead, let me know back if that works - what OS are you using?

EXreaction wrote:I've tried running apache_start.bat, and that did make it start, however once the prompt was closed apached closed as well. No message was given, just a blank screen.
That is what the message tells you after Apache has started, it says Please close this command only for Shutdown and Apache will stop, leave it open and Apache is still running.

EXreaction wrote:The ports are available, I tested them with the port checking tool. There is no AV installed and it is using the Windows firewall, which does not block it locally (I don't think any firewall will block local access).
Windows firewall is only half a firewall as it only blocks incoming requests not outgoing requests - but as they say, half a firewall is better than no firewall at all, but only marginally.

No, 127.0.0.1 will not work. As I said, Windows 7. ;)

It does not say anything in the prompt opened up, just a blank screen with the blinking cursor.

Yes, I know what Windows firewall does and it can block outbound connections if you want it to. Blocking inbound is what is important in a firewall.
EXreaction

Postby Izzy » 11. February 2009 04:19

Blocking inbound is what is important in a firewall.
Only for some people.

As yet Windows 7 is not supported.
Izzy

Postby EXreaction » 11. February 2009 04:25

Here is a screenshot of what happens after I hit start in each and then status
http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/3026/12530166zc3.png

This is running as an administrator
EXreaction

Postby col » 11. February 2009 19:39

I have exact same problem.

XAMPP installed fine 1st time, no probs, then had to delete dir as I was showing someone the steps. (and saying this is easy :oops: )
Install gave me an error at end saying port 80 and 443(SSL) in use and Apache and mysql wont start.
http://127.0.0.1/ gives me a page load error. as does http://localhost/

Er.... :oops: ... 1st time installed into dir - xampp - ok, 2nd time 'pupil' changed install dir and BANG.
stuck it back in xampp and it's happy, er.... it work :D
col

Postby EXreaction » 11. February 2009 20:03

That is completely different.
EXreaction

Postby songoku25 » 25. February 2009 22:48

the solution is simple, execute apache_start.bat and enable firewall, and then mysql_start.bat and also enable firewall.

The next time xampp_control will not show the busy error msg

Xampp 1.7.0 and windows 7 100% working : )
songoku25

Return to XAMPP for Windows