Setting directory permissions

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Setting directory permissions

Postby dungeon keeper » 08. February 2009 23:01

Hi everyone,

I'm new in this and have just set up XAMPP 1.7 on my PC.

I have red the F.A.Q. and tried to search but havent find anything. I'm curious, how can i set folder permissions so the contents of a directory cannot be seen, or set up some additional options.

For example, i have made a new folder in htdocs folder called test. I access it with browser via address http://localhost/test/ and the contents of that directory can be seen in browser. How can i disable that?
dungeon keeper

Re: Setting directory permissions

Postby Izzy » 08. February 2009 23:35

dungeon keeper wrote:For example, i have made a new folder in htdocs folder called test. I access it with browser via address http://localhost/test/ and the contents of that directory can be seen in browser. How can i disable that?
simply add an index.html or an index.php file which can be blank or contain some text or even your site's home page.
Izzy

Postby dungeon keeper » 08. February 2009 23:58

Thank you :)

So now the contents cannot be seen, and php scripts cannot be viewed?
dungeon keeper

Postby Izzy » 09. February 2009 00:09

dungeon keeper wrote:So now the contents cannot be seen, and php scripts cannot be viewed?
The contents of a folder can't be seen but anyone who right clicks on any page served up in a browser and then select View Source can see the files contents after it has been parsed by the server, there is not much you can do about that.
Izzy

Postby dungeon keeper » 09. February 2009 00:53

Yeah i know that ;) thank you
dungeon keeper

Return to XAMPP for Windows