MYSQL wont start

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

MYSQL wont start

Postby ron102 » 07. February 2009 17:07

Hi ive reinstalled XAMPP and the control panel says mysql-start but it wont,
there is a tick in the SVC box but the program wont let me take it out.Apache is running ok but there no tick in the box.Its just how it loaded, and in the box below it says "ERROR : MySql service not started" (-1)
any ideas?
windowsxp sp2

DONT WORRY IVE FOUND IT.

START-RUN(IN THE BOX CMD)
Type "sc delete MySql" and hit enter
YOUR DONE

This will delete MySql as a service. For some reason, XAMPP for Windows has problems running MySQL as a service, so do not check that box. Also, when you click the "Admin" link from the XAMPP control panel, it attempts to start MySQL as a service as well. Just don't do that. Any settings you need to change for MySQL should be modified by changing the config files directly with your favorite text editor, or you should be able to use PHPMyAdmin.
ron102

Re: MYSQL wont start

Postby Izzy » 07. February 2009 22:53

Before resorting to using sc delete mysql from the command line you should first try and run the xampp\mysql\mysql_uninstallservice.bat file as described in the readme_en.txt file.

Usually when you install XAMPP then have issues, most tend to uninstall and install several times without first making sure that all XAMPP components are stopped and all XAMPP components that are installed as a service have been uninstalled as a service including the XCP, which is often overlooked - this failure to follow the uninstall process described in the readme_en.txt file may give the services error and may prevent the removal of the service in the usual manner.

ron102 wrote:...For some reason, XAMPP for Windows has problems running MySQL as a service, so do not check that box.
MySQL can run as a service but on some PCs may not run as a service from selecting to run as a service when using the installer version - the readme_en.txt file has details how to install and uninstall the MySQL service as does the many posts in this forum which can be found by using the search facility.

ron102 wrote:Also, when you click the "Admin" link from the XAMPP control panel, it attempts to start MySQL as a service as well.
This is not correct. When you click on the Admin... button after MySQL has been started it loads WinMySQLAdmin and does not try and start MySQL as a service.

BTW you can't install MySQL as a service in the XCP if MySQL is already started and running.
Izzy

Re: MYSQL wont start

Postby ron102 » 08. February 2009 11:10

I bow to your superior knowledge (thats why i come here) I just copied and paste the info of there web site ( thinking it might do someone a favour) Not knowing to much about it.

Ron
ron102

Return to XAMPP for Windows