Question regarding 1.7 upgrade

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Question regarding 1.7 upgrade

Postby georgec » 04. February 2009 12:01

In reading how to upgrade from 1.6.8 to 1.7.0 from XAMPP for Windows upgrade how to link, I would like to use the By Setup method shown below but don't understand the last sentence of the instructions "For Mysql "my.cnf" and for phpMyAdmin "config.inc.php" were new configured." Could someone help me out on what this is supposed to be telling me.

Thanks

### XAMPP 1.7.0 UPGRADE HOWTO ###

---------- English ----------
[By Setup]: Run "setup_xampp.bat". For Mysql "my.cnf" and for phpMyAdmin "config.inc.php" were new configured.
[By Hand]: Editing "my.cnf" for Mysql => <xampp>\mysgl\bin\my.cnf
Comment out these line with #: innodb_log_arch_dir = "/xampp/mysql/"
Editing "config.inc.php" for phpMyAdmin => <xampp>\phpMyAdmin\config.inc.php
Add these line: $cfg['Servers'][\$i]['AllowNoPasswordRoot'] = true;

IMPORTANT: MySQL table upgrade to 5.1.30 in 13 steps! ......
georgec

Operating System: Windows 7 Pro 64b

Re: Question regarding 1.7 upgrade

Postby Izzy » 04. February 2009 12:22

georgec wrote:In reading how to upgrade from 1.6.8 to 1.7.0 from XAMPP for Windows upgrade how to link, I would like to use the By Setup method shown below but don't understand the last sentence of the instructions "For Mysql "my.cnf" and for phpMyAdmin "config.inc.php" were new configured." Could someone help me out on what this is supposed to be telling me.
Sure.

I am assuming you installed XAMPP to the default location of C:\xampp but change the paths below if you installed to a different location.

MySQL
Go to folder C:\xampp\mysql\bin and find a file that may look like a shortcut called my or it may be called my.cnf
(I believe you know this already but other readers may not).

Drag the file my or my.cnf into your open text editor and look for this line:
innodb_log_arch_dir = "C:/xampp/mysql/"

add a comment # like this:
#innodb_log_arch_dir = "C:/xampp/mysql/"

Save the file.

phpMyAdmin
Go to folder C:\xampp\phpMyAdmin and find this file config.inc.php
(I believe you know this already but other readers may not).

Again it is easy to drag the file it into your text editor then look for this:
/* Authentication type */
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type'] = 'cookie';

Now add this line after the above 2 lines:
$cfg['Servers'][\$i]['AllowNoPasswordRoot'] = true;

So it looks like this:
/* Authentication type */
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type'] = 'cookie';
$cfg['Servers'][\$i]['AllowNoPasswordRoot'] = true;

Save the file.

Continue the upgrade...

Please post back if the above worked so it may help others searching the forum who may also have difficulties understanding the instructions - you may want to do the same in your other topic by posting with any solution you found that may have helped your connect issue.
Thanks.
Izzy

Postby georgec » 04. February 2009 18:11

So the whole updgrade steps should be completed? I was under the impression that you could choose either take the path By Setup or By Hand.
Also, how should the By Setup sentence properly read "were new configured." is not making sense to me.

[By Setup]: Run "setup_xampp.bat". For Mysql "my.cnf" and for phpMyAdmin "config.inc.php" were new configured.
Comment out these line with #: innodb_log_arch_dir = "/xampp/mysql/" ...
georgec

Postby Izzy » 05. February 2009 00:14

georgec wrote:So the whole updgrade steps should be completed? I was under the impression that you could choose either take the path By Setup or By Hand.
Also, how should the By Setup sentence properly read "were new configured." is not making sense to me.

Comment out these line with #: innodb_log_arch_dir = "/xampp/mysql/" ...
Is English your native language because I am having the same difficulty understanding how thousands of other up-graders can understand it, even though many do not even speak English, but you seem not to be able to?

The instructions have been created by a native German speaking author who has tried very hard to make it so simple that even I and everyone else can understand it.

By Setup = run the setup_xampp.bat file as you would normally do when installing XAMPP which will edit the my.cnf and config-inc.php and change the paths as usual and nothing else - how simple is that.

By Hand = Get your hands dirty and do these next steps manually (by hand) because the setup_xampp.bat file only changes the XAMPP installation paths in those files in XAMPP that require it- and do all the steps in the upgrade instructions or accept the consequences of your upgrade failing.

BTW the upgrade is not recommended as you were warned in 2 locations on the XAMPP for Windows home page before downloading it and for novice users, who have difficulty following simple instructions, the not recommended would be doubly important, as your postings have suggested.
Izzy

Postby georgec » 05. February 2009 14:53

Ok, yes English is my native language USA.
I understand from your kind, generous help that a fresh install is recommended/necessary and to copy over my existing install c:\Xamp by Ctrl+drag, creating a copy of [x] ie c:\copy of Xampp.

Should I download the zip file and extract it over my original install or get the .exe? By your instructions of editing both my.cnf and config.php.inc, I suspect that they would not get overwritten by the unzip process.

I certainly do appreciate your patience and understanding with me.
georgec

Postby Izzy » 05. February 2009 23:33

georgec wrote:...that a fresh install is recommended/necessary and to copy over my existing install c:\Xamp by Ctrl+drag, creating a copy of [x] ie c:\copy of Xampp.

Should I download the zip file and extract it over my original install or get the .exe? By your instructions of editing both my.cnf and config.php.inc, I suspect that they would not get overwritten by the unzip process.
There is no need to do anything with the existing my.cnf or the config.inc.php file when installing the new 1.7.0 version as they will be deleted along with the existing xampp folder.

Do not extract over an existing xampp installation folder.

Rename to Copy of xampp not Copy of Xamp
(the reason for keeping your original xampp folder is so you can copy over to the new xampp folder your own files and folders ONLY - do not copy any XAMPP system files or folders or you will break your new version installation).

Delete the existing C:\xampp folder after making your Copy of xampp and before extracting the archive.
Important - make sure you have Stopped all XAMPP components and closed the XAMPP Control Panel (XCP) before deleting the existing xampp folder..

Download the EXE (7zip) version and extract to C:\ then it will create C:\xampp with all the files in their proper places.

Then run the setup_xampp.bat file to set all the paths correctly.

Next run xampp-control.exe XAMPP Control Panel (XCP) then click on Start for Apache and Start for MySQL only - nothing else.

Next go to http://localhost then select your language and test your installation by using the available menu option before doing anything else.
Izzy

Postby georgec » 06. February 2009 22:38

Thanks, just to outline for clarity.

Download 7-zip
copy existing xampp
delete original xampp
extract 7-zip
Then run the setup_xampp.bat file to set all the paths correctly.
Next run xampp-control.exe XAMPP Control Panel (XCP) then click on Start for Apache and Start for MySQL only - nothing else.
Next go to http://localhost then select your language and test your installation by using the available menu option before doing anything else.

copy in my htdocs personal folders from copy set
== but how should I deal with my databases? Copy ONLY MY databases by dragging my original folders from C:\xampp\mysql\data? type = MyISAM. And should I run the instructions below from xampp site in order to update my table structures? I think I understand everything except the details to maintain my databases. Thanks

IMPORTANT: MySQL table upgrade to 5.1.30 in 13 steps!

cd <xampp>\mysql\bin
mysql_upgrade
mysql -u root -h localhost
mysql> use mysql;
mysql> REPAIR TABLE `event`;
mysql> REPAIR TABLE `help_category`;
mysql> REPAIR TABLE `help_keyword`;
mysql> REPAIR TABLE `help_topic`;
mysql> REPAIR TABLE `proc`;
mysql> REPAIR TABLE `servers`;
mysql> REPAIR TABLE `time_zone_name`;
mysql> quit;
mysql_upgrade
georgec

Postby Izzy » 07. February 2009 00:52

Copy ONLY MY databases by dragging my original folders from C:\xampp\mysql\data? type = MyISAM. And should I run the instructions below from xampp site in order to update my table structures? I think I understand everything except the details to maintain my databases.
Copy only your database folders that are named after your own databases (you know the name of your databases - not any system named databases) to your new install mysql\data folder.

When copying your database folders and if you are asked to overwrite an existing file or folder then you know that should not happen, as you are only copying your folders that do not exist yet in the new installation data folder.

Another check to make sure that you don't copy any system databases is to look in the mysql\data folder on the new installation and see what folders and files already exist, then do not copy over any of those from your old installation to the new installation data folder.

Next go to mysql\bin folder and double click on mysql_upgrade.exe file and it should upgrade all the databases that need upgrading in the data folder, automagically - no need to do it manually via the command prompt.
Izzy

Postby georgec » 07. February 2009 14:30

Great, thanks a lot Izzy. I hope this thread helps others too.
georgec

Postby georgec » 10. February 2009 17:40

So far so good but getting the following when trying to update mysql:

D:\Program Files\xampp\mysql\bin>mysql_upgrade
Looking for 'mysql.exe' as: D:\Program Files\xampp\mysql\bin\mysql.exe
Looking for 'mysqlcheck.exe' as D:\Program Files\xampp\mysql\bin\mysqlcheck.exe

FATAL ERROR: Failed to create temporary file for defaults
georgec

Postby Wiedmann » 10. February 2009 18:12

So far so good but getting the following when trying to update mysql:

Well, the original update instructions from XAMPP are not correct. The only thing you must do is (we assume that MySQL is running):
Code: Select all
mysql_upgrade.exe --force -u root -p -t "%TEMP%"

Use exact this command, if your "root" does not have a password, just hit "return" for the password question.

Now restart MySQL.
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby georgec » 10. February 2009 19:39

Thanks for the reply, worked fine.
georgec

Postby RamonDave » 13. February 2009 03:07

Izzy wrote:Is English your native language because I am having the same difficulty understanding how thousands of other up-graders can understand it, even though many do not even speak English, but you seem not to be able to?

The instructions have been created by a native German speaking author who has tried very hard to make it so simple that even I and everyone else can understand it.

I am a native German speaker and live for almost ten years now in the USA and I didn't understand the German nor the English upgrade instructions. Especially that second sentence that was mentioned still doesn't make any sense to me. And yes, I know what a command line looks like and where to find a text editor. So maybe thousands just guessed right and were lucky? I don't know.

What I did clearly understand was that the upgrade is not recommended, so I won't even try it. But I wonder if there are any changes to the configuration files of Apache and PHP? Is it OK to just copy those over from the old version? I did that in the past and it worked out OK, but I wonder with changes that extensive if that may not be a good idea.
RamonDave

Return to XAMPP for Windows