Updating Certificate

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Updating Certificate

Postby ikthius » 31. January 2009 12:07

Hey everyone,

new here.

I have a problem I have had the xampp just under a year now, as I need it to try out wordpress.

I received an email and this used a certificate, but it was saying that my SSL Client Certificate is out of date.

The only way I found info was through my thunderbird's view certificates and this is what I have:
Common Name: localhost
Organisation: Apache Friends
Organisational Unit: XAMPP for Windows
Issued on: 4/12/05
expires on: 4/12/06

there is more info, but I thought this is what you guys might need.

my question is, how can I update the certificate?

I have been hunting google for a couple of days now, and I eventually found this forum.

thanks
ik
ikthius

Re: Updating Certificate

Postby Izzy » 31. January 2009 12:16

What version of XAMPP?
Izzy

Postby ikthius » 31. January 2009 12:26

Izzy wrote:What version of XAMPP?

i believe it is 1.6.7
ikthius

Postby Izzy » 31. January 2009 12:46

The current server certificates are stored in xampp\apache\conf folder in their respective folders.

Use xampp\apache\makecert.bat file to generate new certificates then rename the existing certs and replace with your newly generated certificates.

If you want something more sophisticated and still free that will not give a certificate error with your self signed certificate then here is a link to a free SSL certificate issuing site, worth a good read first as it could save you much money in regular non self signed SSL fees:
https://www.cacert.org/

xampp\apache\bin contains the openssl.exe file which will also create a self signed server certificate and also provide the files needed by the above site - simply double click and type help at the OpenSSL> prompt.

Please lets us know back if you were successful.
Thanks.
Izzy

Postby ikthius » 31. January 2009 13:07

I think I done it ok,

on my thunderbird I added in a certificate that was generated today, it seems to be valid, but I can't really tell.

I tried that site you suggested but I get a page load error, unknown issuer, does this mean I should add an issuer to the certificate? I did not know what all that meant

edit: it did not work
ikthius

Postby Izzy » 31. January 2009 13:20

ikthius wrote:I tried that site you suggested but I get a page load error, unknown issuer, does this mean I should add an issuer to the certificate? I did not know what all that meant
You need to install the root certificate which is in effect the CAcert into your browsers and is done automagically from here:
https://www.cacert.org/index.php?id=3

This Google for CAcert may explain it.
Izzy

Postby ikthius » 31. January 2009 13:31

I seemed to make my own certificate.

and I got into the website, I will have a good read at this.

thanks for your quick help izzy.

ik
ikthius

Return to XAMPP for Windows