Installing XAMPP over Existing Apache and mySQL

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Installing XAMPP over Existing Apache and mySQL

Postby SenorD » 30. January 2009 06:41

I'd like to setup Joomla for a website project but need to install XAMPP for Windows XP pro, sp3.

I read that xampp has apache, plus MySQL, PHP, Perl and Filezilla ftp already configured, but wondered whether it would mess up my current Apache-tomcat 5.5.16 and mySQL instalations, and want some advices before I start.

I'm not too technical, but did manage to get apache n mySQL working last time while taking JSP class a couple of years ago. I dont remember how i did it, but I think I made notes about how I did it somewhere.

Can I install XAMPP package over the exisiting apache n mySQL, and will it mess up the current configuration?

if so, is there a xampp version that i can select to install only PHP, Perl and Filezilla? and can use the current config file? Again, the whole idea of installing XAMPP is to install Joomla for a website project.

I've downloaded xampp n joomla, but have not started installing it yet, I want to get some your advices before I start.

Any tips appreciated.

Many thanks in advances!
SenorD

Re: Installing XAMPP over Existing Apache and mySQL

Postby Izzy » 30. January 2009 06:54

SenorD wrote:I'd like to setup Joomla for a website project but need to install XAMPP for Windows XP pro, sp3.
Why do you need XAMPP to install Joomla if you already have Apache and Mysql installed and working all you need do is add a PHP install?

SenorD wrote:I read that xampp has apache, plus MySQL, PHP, Perl and Filezilla ftp already configured, but wondered whether it would mess up my current Apache-tomcat 5.5.16 and mySQL instalations, and want some advices before I start.
XAMPP if installed has a TomCat addon but if you have TomCat already installed then I would assume you only need to do some configuration tweaks or simply install the TomCat addon after installing XAMPP and then use the addon.

SenorD wrote:I'm not too technical, but did manage to get apache n mySQL working last time while taking JSP class a couple of years ago. I dont remember how i did it, but I think I made notes about how I did it somewhere.
Then read them and try again to install them without XAMPP.

SenorD wrote:Can I install XAMPP package over the exisiting apache n mySQL, and will it mess up the current configuration?
Not possible.

SenorD wrote:if so, is there a xampp version that i can select to install only PHP, Perl and Filezilla? and can use the current config file? Again, the whole idea of installing XAMPP is to install Joomla for a website project.
Any version does not have this feature as it is an integrated and configured package.
All the XAMPP components are available for separate download and install, all XAMPP has done is configure all those included components to work in unison together.

Any tips appreciated.
Remove any other installed components you have already that are included in the XAMPP package and then install XAMPP and when it is installed and fully working install Joomla.

So either install Apache MySQL PHP etc. as separate components or install the integrated and pre configured XAMPP package but not both as conflicts are likely to ensue.

If you did install XAMPP and all the other components then they would not be able to be used or run at the same time, so why bother unless it's for education or experimental purposes.
Izzy

unable to install joomla

Postby snehaparekh » 12. February 2009 01:11

Hi,

I am very new to joomla.i just installed xampp then i tried to install joomla from joomla.org.but when i completed my downloading..there were no archive files in that zip folder.i dont know what happened..would you please let me know any other site and procedure to download joomla..

i saved joomla at c:\programfiles\joomla\

will it be ok
snehaparekh

Re: unable to install joomla

Postby Izzy » 12. February 2009 01:20

snehaparekh wrote:...i just installed xampp
Did you test XAMPP by going to http://localhost and running the demos?

snehaparekh wrote:..then i tried to install joomla from joomla.org.but when i completed my downloading..there were no archive files in that zip folder.i dont know what happened..would you please let me know any other site and procedure to download joomla..
No idea where you can get Joolmla from other than their site - download it again.

snehaparekh wrote:i saved joomla at c:\programfiles\joomla\...will it be ok
No.

If you are running XAMPP then Joomla goes in to the C:\xampp\htdocs folder, if XAMPP was installed to the default C:\xampp folder.
Izzy

Postby snehaparekh » 13. February 2009 01:13

Hi Izzy,

Thanks for reply.

I have downloaded joomla from http://www.joomla.org/download.html.i tried to download 1.5.9 full package.but when i saved it into xampp folder and then opened it,it asks for "buy now"....

can you please give me any other link to download
snehaparekh

Postby Izzy » 13. February 2009 01:41

snehaparekh wrote:I have downloaded joomla from http://www.joomla.org/download.html.i tried to download 1.5.9 full package.but when i saved it into xampp folder and then opened it,it asks for "buy now"....
You will have to explain what you mean in more detail as I have no idea what you are talking about - Joomla is Free Software.

snehaparekh wrote:can you please give me any other link to download
The only place I know is where you download your copy from, as I said in my post above.

Here is the link I just download Joomla from and had no message to buy it, so you had better explain in more detail what you are doing and seeing as I can't see from here.
1.5.9 Full Package

Read the Joomla installation instruction and documentation on the download page.

BTW this is an XAMPP forum not a Joomla forum.
Go here to ask your Joomla questions: http://forum.joomla.org/

Here is what I just did:

1. Download Joomla_1.5.9-Stable-Full_Package.zip from the link above.

2. I then created a joomla folder in C:\xampp\htdocs - C:\xampp\htdocs\joomla

3. Extracted all the files in the downloaded zip file to the above joomla folder.

4. Started Apache and MySQL.

5. Opened my browser and typed http://localhost/joomla/

6. This above address opens the Installation page.

Just follow the instructions.

I did not see any buy message at all, so you are not following the Installation procedure.
Izzy

Return to XAMPP for Windows