Apache don´t start

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Apache don´t start

Postby mumbojumbo » 28. January 2009 17:31

Saying something like could not use port 80 (already in use?)
How do I solve this?
mumbojumbo

Re: Apache don´t start

Postby mumbojumbo » 28. January 2009 17:34

UAC is disabled.
mumbojumbo

Postby mumbojumbo » 28. January 2009 17:46

portcheck is not working saying I must update vista. But there are no new updates.
mumbojumbo

Postby glitzi85 » 28. January 2009 19:28

Start -> Run -> cmd.exe

Now execute this command:

Code: Select all
netstat -anbp tcp

and then look in the Local Address Coloumn for Port 80. Then go in this line into the last coloumn, that's the PID of the program using Port 80. Now you can check in the Taskmanager which program has this PID.

glitzi
glitzi85

Postby Izzy » 28. January 2009 23:38

Check out this thread for some useful info links especially the link to learn how to setup a super admin account - very handy when administrating a web server.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=33117

BTW did you try and right click on xampp-portcheck.exe and select to run as an Administrator?
Izzy

Postby mumbojumbo » 29. January 2009 00:16

Glitzard: I will check this, thanks.
Izzy: Yes I tried but it doesn´t starts. Message saying that windows is the problem and that I shall check for updates. There is no updates for my computer.
mumbojumbo

Postby Izzy » 29. January 2009 00:32

mumbojumbo wrote:Izzy: Yes I tried but it doesn´t starts. Message saying that windows is the problem and that I shall check for updates. There is no updates for my computer.
Then you are not logged in as an admin or super admin only a user and you don't have the permissions to admin a web server - you must be an admin or super admin to work with XAMPP's many server admin files.
Izzy

Postby mumbojumbo » 29. January 2009 00:33

I am an admin.
mumbojumbo

Postby Izzy » 29. January 2009 00:39

Then you have other issues did you try a reboot after installing XAMPP?

Try uninstalling XAMPP - search the forum for the correct method or read the readme-en.txt file in the xampp folder.

Then reinstall using the EXE(7zip) version or the zip version not the installer version and extract to the C: drive.

Then run the setup-xampp.bat file to set your paths.

Next start Apache and MySQL - you can use the start bat files or the XAMPP Control Panel but don't click on any Svc boxes or Admin buttons just yet and never click on the MySQL Admin button.

Then go to http://localhost and test all the demos.
Izzy

Postby mumbojumbo » 31. January 2009 18:17

Izzy, now I tried to remove xAMPP according to readme-en.txt file It said simple remove the XAMPP folder. Well i tried this, access denied. After that I started to delete folder by folder, file by file.But there still remains a bunch off file that I am denied to remove.

How do I do?
mumbojumbo

Postby mumbojumbo » 31. January 2009 18:29

I have now also tried from the DOS Promt typing
Del C:\XAMPP Return
Del C:\XAMPP\* Are you shure? (J/N) J

But doesn´t work, not even an error message.
mumbojumbo

Postby Izzy » 31. January 2009 23:04

mumbojumbo wrote:Izzy, now I tried to remove xAMPP according to readme-en.txt file It said simple remove the XAMPP folder.
Is that all it said in the readme file to remove the xampp folder? I see other things to do before deleting which is why you have issues with deleting the folder.
Izzy

Postby mumbojumbo » 02. February 2009 18:13

Now reinstalled XAMPP again in order to read the readme_en :-)
After having closed both apache and mysql i´ve succesfully (!) uninstalled XAMPP.
And finally I reinstalled XAMPP chosing no services.
Everything run smoothely, I´m getting a experinced install- and reinstaller, this might be my first own tutorial!
BUT When i try to start apache I am told: "make_sock:
Could not bind to adress 0.0.0.0:80 no listening sockets available, shutting down Unable to open logs Apache could not be started"
Trying to run xampp-portcheck still dosn´t work. Message: Can´t start open_port.exe Windows suggest me to update Vista, but there are no updates available.
Also I have deleted the option for Skype to use port 80 in my both my users on the laptop.
mumbojumbo

Postby Izzy » 03. February 2009 00:59

mumbojumbo wrote:Now reinstalled XAMPP again in order to read the readme_en
You don't have to install XAMPP to read the readme file as it is linked from the desciption at the very place near where you click on to download XAMPP.

mumbojumbo wrote:Trying to run xampp-portcheck still dosn´t work. Message: Can´t start open_port.exe Windows suggest me to update Vista, but there are no updates available.
Upgrade your access rights to super administrator that I mentioned in a post above - did you even read the post?
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=33117

This post by Sharley explains what the xampp-portcheck is:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=31503&p=127556

You have an alternative methods of finding out what is on the ports XAMPP uses if you can't be bothered upgrading your rights so you can be a super administrator, which will be of advantage when trying to administer your web server, XAMPP and of course the rest of your PC.

Yet again in another post above you were given an alternative to using xampp-portcheck.exe that you did not read, see or use.
Izzy

Postby mumbojumbo » 03. February 2009 20:39

1 Could´nt connect to Internet when I was doing the installation
2 I am already a superadmin just forget to tell you
3 I have downloaded and run DiamonDS Port Explorer, thnaks for the hint I didn´t see it before

The local POrt 80 is listening to a remote adress namned 0.0.0.0:0
Rightclicking and click on socket... gives dropdown meny that is grey (not working) In the dropdown meny there is the option Close socket, grey.
mumbojumbo

Next

Return to XAMPP for Windows