Latest Xampp stability

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Latest Xampp stability

Postby rosie1 » 26. January 2009 11:15

Forgive this newbie, as I'm very much a novice. Searched the forum to look up stability but couldn't locate recent info.

Running Windows Vista Ultimate and wish to set up local test environment. Previously installed wamp last summer but was very unstable. Can anyone advise if the latest version of Xampp runs ok with this OS? Any other advice relating to installation is also much appreciated.

Thanks so.
rosie1

Re: Latest Xampp stability

Postby Nobbie » 26. January 2009 11:21

Which part of wamp was unstable and how did you face it?
Nobbie

Postby rosie1 » 26. January 2009 11:26

Nobbie wrote:Which part of wamp was unstable and how did you face it?

Difficult to pinpoint. Computer became very unstable generally without any particular pattern. It also ran very slowly and regularly froze.

Thanks for reply.
rosie1

Postby Izzy » 26. January 2009 11:56

Can anyone advise if the latest version of Xampp runs ok with this OS? Any other advice relating to installation is also much appreciated.
There have been some teething issues with Vista but usually for those who have migrated from XP and who have not quite got a handle on the new OS and it's nanny like approach for novice users.

From those issues, turning off UAC, or at least knowing how to control it, being an admin, or better a super admin, is essential to administer a web server on Vista.

Don't install to a folder with a space in the name ie. Program Files, install to a drive like C: etc.

I recommend the EXE(7zip) self extracting version and extract to the C:\ drive which will create C:\xampp with all the files in their right places, then simple run the setup_xampp.bat file in the xampp folder to set the paths - running the bat files and some of the exe files in the xampp installation requires admin rights.

Go to http://localhost and test your installation by running the demos in the menu list.

Read the XAMPP For Windows home page and the FAQ also the readme_en.txt file on the Home page which will also be extracted to the xampp folder on install.

If you choose to use the Installer version then when asked to install the services elect to not do this as this has given some a major headache.

In the XAMPP Control Panel don't click on the MySQL Admin.. button as this will cause major errors as the file it loads, WinMySQLAdmin, is deprecated. The file to use to admin MySQL is phpMyAdmin.

I believe that XAMPP is very stable if installed correctly and again my advise is don't tweak any configuration files or ini files until you know exactly the consequences of doing so.

I hope I have covered most things that have been presented to the XAMPP for Windows in the English forums but not guaranteed.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy using XAMPP as it's very useful for development use.
Izzy

Postby rosie1 » 26. January 2009 12:07

Izzy wrote:
Can anyone advise if the latest version of Xampp runs ok with this OS? Any other advice relating to installation is also much appreciated.
There have been some teething issues with Vista but usually for those who have migrated from XP and who have not quite got a handle on the new OS and it's nanny like approach for novice users.

From those issues, turning off UAC, or at least knowing how to control it, being an admin, or better a super admin, is essential to administer a web server on Vista.

Don't install to a folder with a space in the name ie. Program Files, install to a drive like C: etc.

I recommend the EXE(7zip) self extracting version and extract to the C:\ drive which will create C:\xampp with all the files in their right places, then simple run the setup_xampp.bat file in the xampp folder to set the paths - running the bat files and some of the exe files in the xampp installation requires admin rights.

Go to http://localhost and test your installation by running the demos in the menu list.

Read the XAMPP For Windows home page and the FAQ also the readme_en.txt file on the Home page which will also be extracted to the xampp folder on install.

If you choose to use the Installer version then when asked to install the services elect to not do this as this has given some a major headache.

In the XAMPP Control Panel don't click on the MySQL Admin.. button as this will cause major errors as the file it loads, WinMySQLAdmin, is deprecated. The file to use to admin MySQL is phpMyAdmin.

I believe that XAMPP is very stable if installed correctly and again my advise is don't tweak any configuration files or ini files until you know exactly the consequences of doing so.

I hope I have covered most things that have been presented to the XAMPP for Windows in the English forums but not guaranteed.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy using XAMPP as it's very useful for development use.

Izzy, big thank you. Really appreciated. Will follow your advice and give it a go. Either way, all good experience.

Best wishes.
rosie1

Postby Nobbie » 26. January 2009 12:27

As far as I know (I dont use Vista), the Ultimate Edition has Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) pre-installed. You should check this out, as this is just another webserver and it will collide with Apache (Port 80 will be blocked by IIS).

So if you are in trouble by starting Apache via Xampp Panel - dont forget to check for IIS.
Nobbie

Postby rosie1 » 26. January 2009 12:30

Nobbie wrote:As far as I know (I dont use Vista), the Ultimate Edition has Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) pre-installed. You should check this out, as this is just another webserver and it will collide with Apache (Port 80 will be blocked by IIS).

So if you are in trouble by starting Apache via Xampp Panel - dont forget to check for IIS.

Thanks so, Nobbie. Will check out. Didn't realise IIS was pre-installed. Can anyone advise how I go about uninstalling it? Forgive my ignorance. Much appreciated.

Best wishes.
rosie1

Postby Izzy » 26. January 2009 12:36

rosie1 wrote:Can anyone advise how I go about uninstalling it? Forgive my ignorance.
Control Panel>Add or Remove Programs>Add/Remove Windows Programs should find Internet Information Service (IIS) - simply remove the tick to disable all items.

Also if you use Skype it will block Apache ports, so in Skype change the ports in the configuration settings -Tools>Options>Connections.
Izzy

Postby rosie1 » 26. January 2009 12:42

Izzy wrote:
rosie1 wrote:Can anyone advise how I go about uninstalling it? Forgive my ignorance.
Control Panel>Add or Remove Programs>Add/Remove Windows Programs should find Internet Information Service (IIS) - simply remove the tick to disable all items.

Also if you use Skype it will block Apache ports, so in Skype change the ports in the configuration settings.

Brilliant. Thank you very much. Yes, I do have Skype. Will change the ports. Fab to have a forum to turn to.

Best wishes and good luck with the Whales.
rosie1

Postby Izzy » 26. January 2009 13:02

Thanks rosie1, the Whales need all the luck they can get, I'm afraid.

If you would like to join the English language forums they are here:
viewforum.php?f=16
Izzy

Postby rosie1 » 26. January 2009 13:09

Izzy wrote:Thanks rosie1, the Whales need all the luck they can get, I'm afraid.

If you would like to join the English language forums they are here:
viewforum.php?f=16

Thanks so, Izzy. English lang forums noted.
rosie1

Postby Izzy » 26. January 2009 13:33

Forgive me, I used the wrong notes, these are for Vista the others are similar but for XP:

To disable UAC go to
Start>Control Panel>User Accounts
there you will find an option
Turn User Account Control on or off
just click on it and uncheck
User Account Control to help protect your computer
click OK.

To disable IIS go to
Start>Control Panel>Programs and Features
on the leftmost side you will find an option
Turn Windows features on or off
click on it and uncheck
Internet Information Services
click OK
and then restart your computer.

There thats, better. :)
Izzy

Postby rosie1 » 26. January 2009 13:59

Izzy wrote:Forgive me, I used the wrong notes, these are for Vista the others are similar but for XP:

To disable UAC go to
Start>Control Panel>User Accounts
there you will find an option
Turn User Account Control on or off
just click on it and uncheck
User Account Control to help protect your computer
click OK.

To disable IIS go to
Start>Control Panel>Programs and Features
on the leftmost side you will find an option
Turn Windows features on or off
click on it and uncheck
Internet Information Services
click OK
and then restart your computer.

There thats, better. :)

Nothing to forgive. Only too grateful for your help. IIS is unchecked and have unchecked the alternative ports used by Skype (which included port 80, assuming this is the one in question). Will download this evening and give it my best shot. Again, thanks so.

Best wishes.
rosie1

Return to XAMPP for Windows