apache and mysql not shutting down

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

apache and mysql not shutting down

Postby DrDaveCF » 24. January 2009 23:21

Xampp appears to be loading automatically since installing in vista. If I open the xampp control panel to shut down the service and get an error that I can't shut either apache or mysql down.
DrDaveCF

Re: apache and mysql not shutting down

Postby Izzy » 25. January 2009 00:40

Try clicking on the Stop button then un-tick the Svc boxes next to each component in that order.

If that does not stop the services then use the following bat files.

Apache in order of use.

First in \xampp folder.
apache_stop.bat

Next in \xampp\apache folder.
apache_uninstallservice.bat

Repeat for MySQL using the \xampp\mysql folder for the uninstall service bat file.

Then reboot your PC and before starting any XAMPP components look in the XAMPP Control Panel (XCP) that no boxes are ticked and no green Running indications next to the components.

Now you can Start your components but don't put a tick in any of the Svc boxes as this action will start the services again.

Make sure you are an administrator or a super admin in Vista to do the above procedures..
Izzy

Postby DrDaveCF » 25. January 2009 04:06

Didn't work. Apache and MySql still started on startup. I can't remove the check marks.
DrDaveCF

Postby Izzy » 25. January 2009 04:19

Paste what you see after running xampp-portcheck.exe in the xampp folder.

Paste what the message is when you run apache_uninstallservice.bat file

You can usually only un-tick the Svc boxes after Apache and MySQL have been Stopped - sometimes it needs a couple of button click attempts to Stop the components and also there is often a slight delay while things are shutdown before the running is turned off.

Stopping by using the bat files usually works regardless and independently of the XCP.

Also, include any other relevant details you feel would be helpful in troubleshooting your issue because currently my crystal ball is in for repair - it actually over heated after so much use in these forums.
Last edited by Izzy on 25. January 2009 04:28, edited 1 time in total.
Izzy

Postby DrDaveCF » 25. January 2009 04:28

When I run apache_stop.bat the screen briefly flashes. When I run uninstall I get a message that access was denied. How do I paste these dos messages here?
DrDaveCF

Postby Izzy » 25. January 2009 04:34

DrDaveCF wrote:...How do I pasted these dos messages here?
Click on the small icon top left of the console window and select Edit form the context menu - mark = highlight, back to the text and use it to select the text for copying, then back to the Edit menu, select Copy, then back to the forum text box, right click and select paste.
Job done.

Also paste what you see after running apache_start.bat file and mysql_start.bat file.

To get a console window to stay open...
...go to start>Run.. type cmd >OK
Type cd C:\xampp >Enter - if that is where your xampp folder is.
Then type apache_stop.bat >Enter

There have been many posts lately on this subject and perhaps a forum search might also reveal some other member's fixes.
Izzy

Postby DrDaveCF » 25. January 2009 04:57

Problem solved. I turned off UAC and then ran the batch files. That took care of the problem as I then was able to uncheck the services.
DrDaveCF

Postby Izzy » 25. January 2009 05:25

Thanks for posting back with your solution, it may help others.

I always assume (obviously wrongly) that UAC has been turned off or at least a user knows how to control it, also that a user is an administrator or a super administrator of their Vista machine before attempting to add a web server and become a server administrator/webmaster.

Good luck.
Izzy

Return to XAMPP for Windows