hELP gETTIN xAMPP oNLINE

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

hELP gETTIN xAMPP oNLINE

Postby Agnt » 24. January 2009 10:15

before every says the same thing lol

1 i know how to foward ports with my router

Specs
Linksys WRT54GS v 7.2 Wireless-G router w/ speedbooster)
Vista ultimate 32 bit
NO 3rd party firewalls
ISS and UAC are off
WINDOWS Firewall is off

ports forwarded

80 - 80 protocal = Both
3306 - 3306 TCP
443 - 443 = Both
http 8000-8000 = both

xampp port check

HTTP Apache = System
apache Webdav =free
apache https =system
msql = system
mercury = ALL free
filezilla ALL system

now when i shut down xampp ^^ those are all free
when i start xampp some change to system meaning xampp is using them yet i still cannot view my webserver online? i dont get it

I'v Tried DMZ aswell still no luck

Problem i can access my Xampp via localhost (on my pc i can access it)

now i want it to be viewable online i go to my IP adress http://"my IP here"/

result

Network Timeout

The server at MY IP HERE is taking too long to respond.

The requested site did not respond to a connection request and the browser has stopped waiting for a reply.

* Could the server be experiencing high demand or a temporary outage? Try again later.
* Are you unable to browse other sites? Check the computer's network connection.
* Is your computer or network protected by a firewall or proxy? Incorrect settings can interfere with Web browsing.
* Still having trouble? Consult your network administrator or Internet provider for assistance.

any ideas of why its doing this ? any help much appreciated
Agnt

Re: hELP gETTIN xAMPP oNLINE

Postby Izzy » 24. January 2009 10:27

I usually give people this link which is very detailed about setting up a server and includes just about every aspect in detail - well worth a good read and to keep as a reference.
DSL/Cable Webserver

HTH
Izzy

Postby Agnt » 24. January 2009 10:57

result from shieldup

GRC Port Authority Report created on UTC: 2009-01-24 at 09:56:04

Results from scan of ports: 0, 21-23, 25, 79, 80, 110, 113,
119, 135, 139, 143, 389, 443, 445,
1002, 1024-1030, 1720, 5000

0 Ports Open
0 Ports Closed
26 Ports Stealth
---------------------
26 Ports Tested

ALL PORTS tested were found to be: STEALTH.

TruStealth: PASSED - ALL tested ports were STEALTH,
- NO unsolicited packets were received,
- NO Ping reply (ICMP Echo) was received
Agnt

Postby Izzy » 24. January 2009 11:24

Sorry I did not read properly your first post.

The Stealth report is telling you that your firewall or your ISP's firewall is intercepting your incoming traffic and masking the presence of any services on those ports at that IP address - if you have them open then your ISP is suspect.

Is your ISP blocking you from running a server - check your ISP small print on the contract.

If you give me your IP and can try from here and see what I can find out for you.
Izzy

Postby Agnt » 24. January 2009 12:12

well thing is i just got this pc and the pc before...i was running a server online i was running WAMP server (WAMP 5) and i couold go to my IP no prob and view my server i got my new PC and im tryin to use xampp and now i cannot so i dont think my ISP is blocking it ip

also iv double check my PC out in turned off the windows firewall completey i have Eset it was installed...i uninstalled it so as far as i know i have no firewalls whhat so ever cept my router and the ports are configured in the router and i have DMZ on if infact my ISP Comcast cable is block inbound port 80 how can i set up xamp to use a different port? and which port could i use
Last edited by Agnt on 24. January 2009 12:32, edited 1 time in total.
Agnt

Postby dmphotography » 24. January 2009 12:25

In your httpd.conf file, check the line that says Listen 80 and set it to Listen *:80. I seen that in another post and I believe that fixed the problem.

The other thing to do is using the process of elimination. First, try viewing your website using the browser on the computer your hosting your website on. If that works, then go to another computer connected to your home network and try to access it that way. The reason for this is that port forwarding isn't required and doesn't apply for other computers in the same LAN with your router. If that works, then that narrows it down to your port forwarding settings in your router not being correct.
For great video and written tutorials and guides on creating your own web server and installing things such as forums, blogs, etc., visit http://myownhomeserver.com
dmphotography

Operating System: Windows 7

Postby Izzy » 24. January 2009 12:30

You can edit your above post and delete you IP now if you like.

Your IP does not have a web server on port 80.

Go here and enter your IP and tick all the boxes and it will give you as much info as is available for your IP:
CentalOps Domain Dossier

This search to see if others knew about your ISP blocking ports on their cable connection.

From what I understand of your ISP you may need to request that they open your ports or at least contact them and verify that they have not blocked your ports - then you/we can proceed with troubleshooting this further.
Izzy

Postby Agnt » 24. January 2009 12:38

after browsing the net i found this post

I have Comcast internet in NE Florida and have had no trouble using multiple VOIP providers. I recently installed Comcast's own VOIP plan and got a new modem. I am still running Broadvoice VOIP for free international calls and I had no problem with the changeover.

Comcast does block port 80, though. I have to run my web server on port 81 and use a service from no-ip.com to remap it.

i a think i might give it a try to i just set port 81 in the http.conf?
Agnt

Postby Izzy » 24. January 2009 12:47

They may be on to port 81, I suggest you use a high number for testing then you can always drop it back to 81 if you manage to get a server working.

I'll keep checking your IP from here and let you know if I can connect to a server.

I did read that they would unblock ports on request.

It is to stop spammers and over use by web servers so they like to monitor who they allow server use on their cable if understand them correctly.
Izzy

Postby dmphotography » 24. January 2009 12:56

Yeah, I use Comcast as my ISP and port 80 isn't blocked. So a call to tech support might do the trick.
For great video and written tutorials and guides on creating your own web server and installing things such as forums, blogs, etc., visit http://myownhomeserver.com
dmphotography

Postby Agnt » 24. January 2009 12:57

i duno its weird cause not even a month ago i had a webserver running online (itches head) i might jut call them up and be like yoo unblock my S*It Yooo and then they will BS me and say its not blocked :twisted:
Agnt

Postby dmphotography » 26. January 2009 03:44

Agnt wrote:i duno its weird cause not even a month ago i had a webserver running online (itches head) i might jut call them up and be like yoo unblock my S*It Yooo and then they will BS me and say its not blocked :twisted:

When I tried getting Mercury 32 to work, I believe Comcast was blocking the port I needed, (25 I think), even though they claimed they only do that if there is an issue with bulk spamming detected on that port. I tried and tried and read several tutorials/guides/posts on how to make it work and all of them and none of them worked, which lead me to believe Comcast was feeding me some BS about blocking that port. I gave up on my own email server after wasting way too many hours on it and nothing working to resolve the problem.

I have a no-ip.com account to try it out and it works great. You can assign pretty much any port to forward to as long as it's not being used by any other service. It doesn't have to be 80, 8080, 81, or anything like that. You can pick a random one, 5000 or something and it should work just fine. Zoneedit.com, which is my perferred DNS service for my domains, claims you can do port forwarding with it by simply making your IP addresses like so: 123.45.12.142:5000 . The problem I ran into is they have a character limit on how long an IP address can be, so I don't have enough room to add the port number on the end. I emailed them in regards to this and they will go back and add it for you, but they need to extend the character limit and be done with it.
dmphotography

Return to XAMPP for Windows