phpMyAdmin gives me Access Denied

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

phpMyAdmin gives me Access Denied

Postby jim_genius5 » 22. January 2009 00:16

I thought it's worth the trouble uninstalling the 1.6.7 version of XAMPP to install the 1.7 version, and that the new version is a completely flawless alien technology version.

I already had my 1.6.7 working well, but when I completely removed it to install the 1.7 XAMPP, the phpMyAdmin is not working, unfortunately. It gives the following error message:
Error
MySQL said:
#2003 - The server is not responding
Connection for controluser as defined in your configuration failed.

I am sure the XAMPP CP is working, the MySQL service is installed, and all services are Running. I tried messing around with the config.inc.php file, but no luck. I do have a backup copy of it that I restore whenever an attempt fails.

There is also one more thing. When launching the WinMySQLAdmin 1.4 through the XAMPP CP, it gives me the Access Violation message. It says:
Access Violation at address 1000A1F7 in module 'LIBMYSQL.dll'. Read of address 00000000. I did set a username and password other than the usual 'root' and 'nopassword' ones, but no luck. I had this problem in my 1.6.7 version, but I fixed it through the config.inc.php file.

Desperately needing the XAMPP to work well. Thanks in advance.
jim_genius5

Re: phpMyAdmin gives me Access Denied

Postby Izzy » 22. January 2009 01:33

jim_genius5 wrote:It gives the following error message:
Error
MySQL said:
#2003 - The server is not responding
Connection for controluser as defined in your configuration failed.
Perhaps MySQL has not started.

Stop MySQL and untick the Svc box in the XAMPP Control Panel (XCP).

Now try running the mysql_start.bat file to see if a better error message is returned why it won't start.

And if you don't really need MySQL running as a service then for now uninstall the service by running the mysql_uninstallservice.bat file in the mysql folder.

Then try starting MySQL with the mysql_start.bat file again.

Then try http://localhost/phpmyadmin and see if you get to the login page.

BTW can you exercise all the demos in http://localhost XAMPP Welcome page?

jim_genius5 wrote:I do have a backup copy of it that I restore whenever an attempt fails.
Please revert to you default backup copy before following the above troubleshoot.

jim_genius5 wrote:...When launching the WinMySQLAdmin 1.4 through the XAMPP CP, it gives me the Access Violation message. It says:
Access Violation at address 1000A1F7 in module 'LIBMYSQL.dll'. Read of address 00000000.
Don't use the Admin... button that invokes WinMySQLAdmin as it is deprecated and should be removed from the XCP - it is causing so many request for support here.

Use phpMyAdmin instead or do a forum search for winmysqladmin which may provide alternatives and a search for access violation will certainly provide the fix for when you used it.

jim_genius5 wrote:I did set a username and password other than the usual 'root' and 'nopassword' ones, but no luck. I had this problem in my 1.6.7 version, but I fixed it through the config.inc.php file.
This is not the recommended fix, see the search results mentioned above.

Revert your config.inc.php file back to the defaults as this may well be causing you to not be able to access phpMyAdmin.

What errors are recorded in your xampp\apache\logs\error.log file about the time you try and access phpMyAdmin?

Make sure you don't have any stray php.ini or my.cnf files in the Windows folder if so then rename them or delete them.
Izzy

Postby jim_genius5 » 22. January 2009 17:24

Oh wait, I think I just figured it out. I'm using a ZoneAlarm firewall, and it's probably the cause of this problem. I tried disabling it, and phpMyAdmin launches! :D

The thing is that I can't get phpMyAdmin to work without shutting down ZoneAlarm. Any ideas?

I do have the program control set to allow all activity for mysql-related programs. Still can't figure it out, though.

Thanks for your reply. As expected, the CD Collection demo can't connect to the database. It's probably the firewall :(.
jim_genius5

Postby Izzy » 22. January 2009 21:35

Try another free firewall as ZA has been an issue with XAMPP for years.

Try the free offering from Comodo a trusted SSL certificate provider and leader in Firewall technology.
Comodo Internet Security not the Pro as it costs $.
Izzy

Postby jim_genius5 » 23. January 2009 00:42

I just reverted to my 1.6.8 (1.6.7 was a typing mistake :oops: ) version and it works just fine, even with ZoneAlarm firewall enabled. :?

Thanks anyway.
jim_genius5

Return to XAMPP for Windows