Installation Error: 'Error opening file for wiriting'

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Installation Error: 'Error opening file for wiriting'

Postby vikkib » 16. January 2009 12:15

Hi all,

I have tried searching the site for this but can't haven't come up with anything in the English section.

I am trying to install XAMPP 1.7.0 on a Windows XP machine. I downloaded the 'installer' file and run it. The installer opens and has started installing but very quickly the error message below popped up:

"Error opening file for writing:

c:\xampp\apache\bin\apache.exe

Click Abort to stop the installation, Retry to try again or Ignore to skip this file"

I've tried clicking 'retry' but with no joy.

I've also tried downloading the file again from the site.

Can anyone help?

Many Thanks,

Vikki
vikkib

Re: Installation Error: 'Error opening file for wiriting'

Postby Izzy » 16. January 2009 12:38

Click Abort if the install is not finished then delete the xampp folder if it exists then reboot your PC.

Now try again to install XAMPP with the installer version and elect not to install services for any XAMPP components.

If that fails again, then dispense with the Installer version and download the EXE (7zip) self extracting version.

Extract to the C:\ drive which will create C:\xampp and inserts all the files in the right place.

Now double click on the setup_xampp.bat file in the xampp folder to set the paths.

Next go to http://localhost and select your language then try out the demos to test your XAMPP installation.

TIP - always make sure your PC is virus and Trojan free before trying to install new programs.

Please post back if the above helped so as to give closure to the topic which may help others that search the forums with a similar issue.
Thanks, enjoy XAMPP and good luck.
Izzy

Return to XAMPP for Windows