mysqli Vista problem

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

mysqli Vista problem

Postby daffy » 14. January 2009 10:29

With a brand new virtually empty computer with Vista home premium I want to use Xampp
But when I access myPHPAdmin I get 'error cannot load mysqli extension'.

Is this something just forgotten to be included in the latest Xampp download ? or is it Vista being its usual awkward self.
I have uninstalled and re-installed Xampp about 5 times now.
In any case what can I do to make PHPmyadmin happy?
Any help Please.
--
Dave :|
daffy

Re: mysqli Vista problem

Postby Izzy » 14. January 2009 10:53

daffy wrote:But when I access myPHPAdmin I get 'error cannot load mysqli extension'.
Anything in this post that may help?
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=32697

Did you run the setup-xampp.bat file after install?

Before staring any XAMPP components did you run the xampp-portcheck.exe file to make sure all ports are free?

daffy wrote:Is this something just forgotten to be included in the latest Xampp download ? or is it Vista being its usual awkward self.
No and probably.

daffy wrote:I have uninstalled and re-installed Xampp about 5 times now.
Please could you kindly explain in detail the procedure you adopted when you uninstalled and then reinstalled - thanks.
Izzy

Postby daffy » 14. January 2009 12:57

OK brand new Del
l STudio Laptop. Nothing much in it. Tried to install Acronis. Vista did not like. Installed NOrton Internet security 2009. Installed Delphi7. Thats all.

Then Download Xampp windows.installer. And ran. Did not seem to have phpMyAdmin at all.
Now on my old XP machine I remember that I had installed WampServer first before I was aware of Xampp. So Uninstall Xampp using control panel 'uninstal programs' All Gone.
Install WampServer instead. Ah! now seems to have PHPMy ADmin.
Error Message cannot load MySql extension (did not notice if it said MySqli ).
Swear quietly and uninstall WampServer using Control Panel.
Re-Install Xampp seems to have PHPMyAdmin now but still the same error message.
Uninstall and re-install WampServer. This give various information about PHP and in its list of PHP extensions is definatly ticked the MySqli extension.
Checked that PHP.ini is in windows path OK

Perhaps Norton is the problem. Disconnect switch off Norton. Re-try

Exactly the same error message.
Tired - Bed.

What do you suggest next ?
Dave :?
daffy

Postby Izzy » 14. January 2009 13:15

Dave, not really what I was after more about the method you used to uninstall/install XAMPP.

I don't know what the other server you installed leaves behind or what it changes in the system files so we now have to establish that XAMPP will run properly if anything residue is left behind as it may conflict with XAMPP.

Start Apache and MySQL from the XAMPP Control Panel and make sure they show Running in green.

Go to http://localhost/xampp/phpinfo.php

Look for this line and make sure it has the path to the php.ini file in xampp\apache\bin folder.
Loaded Configuration File C:\xampp\apache\bin\php.ini

Apache in XAMPP uses the php.ini file in the above not in the Windows folder and if you have a php.ini file in the Windows folder, rename it to php.ini.old or something similar so it can't be used if it is in your system variable path.

Let me know if this step is in order then try a different XAMPP installation method below if you still have problems.

When you uninstall and then reinstall XAMPP follow these steps.

Make sure all XAMPP components are stopped and any that you installed as a service when you installed XAMPP are also stopped (uninstalled).

Then delete the xampp folder.

Now download the 7zip self extracting exe file and extract the files to the C:\ drive and it will create C:\xampp with all the files in place.

Next double click on the setup_xampp.bat file or in Vista you may have to right click and select to run as an administrator.

You should be logged in to Vista as an administrator or super administrator to have the full benefit that XAMPP has to offer.

After the bat file has finished and closed go to http://localhost and make sure you can see the XAMPP Welcome Page and in the left menu is a link to phpMyAdmin and also a link to phpinfo().

Test all the demos and see if you have any issues.

Then go to phpMyAdmin but read the readme-en.txt file with regard to Security.
Last edited by Izzy on 14. January 2009 13:36, edited 4 times in total.
Izzy

Postby Wiedmann » 14. January 2009 13:22

But when I access myPHPAdmin I get 'error cannot load mysqli extension'.

What do you suggest next ?

Delete all php.ini's on your pc. Except those in the XAMPP directory.

BTW:
With a brand new virtually empty computer with Vista home premium I want to use Xampp

If this is a fresh XAMPP installation, why is your phpMyAdmin using the mysqli extension? Default in XAMPP is mysql. Sure that you have a XAMPP running?
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby daffy » 14. January 2009 13:45

Thanks for your prompt help.
Going to my New computer I see
1. the phpinfo says path to config file c:\windows
2. loaded Config file c:\programfiles\PHP\php.ini

looking into c:\xampp/apache/bin it has no php.ini there at all.

--
Dave :|
daffy

Postby Izzy » 14. January 2009 13:48

Follow the instructions now in my last post re a fresh install and the deleting or renaming of the other php.ini files.
Izzy

Postby daffy » 14. January 2009 15:02

Thanks again.
I was being confused by this blxxxy operating system not showing file extensions.
Of course I remember XP was like that until you change the setting.
Bill Gates thinks that extensions are too confusing for the public.
So now I went through the computer and found two other php.ini files, renamed them xxphp.ini..and it now works.
(I suppose other things may now complain).
I expect the mysqli instead of mysql was just my bad eyesight !
Anyway that problem solved for now.

Thanks
--
Dave :)
daffy

Postby Izzy » 14. January 2009 15:06

That's good to hear Dave and thanks for posting back.

Good luck with Vista. :D
Izzy

Postby daffy » 15. January 2009 21:11

Alas I am going mad !!

I am still struggling to get Xampp working properly on Vista.
I have reinstalled and uninstalled a further 5 times !
I have used all methods listed.
Soon I shall hit my computer with a hammer.

I thought all was well but when I installed Joomla it said 'cannot find Mysql.' So I uninstalled xampp and reinstalled it and it has been bad ever since.

If I use the 7Zip mode and the setup.bat
I get a message Warning Directory mismatch.

I have searched the computer for any bits which might affect the issue.
I have emptied the 'recycle bin' because I got the idea thta perhpas PHP was grabbing stuff from there.

After some installs everything is there except Mysql.
Sometime Mysql will start as a service sometimes not.
Apache seems to be more reliable.

When I do an uninstall the Xampp directory itself will not uninstall or delete unless I restart the computer then delete it.

--
Help desperately needed
Dave
daffy

Postby Izzy » 15. January 2009 23:33

daffy wrote:If I use the 7Zip mode and the setup.bat
I get a message Warning Directory mismatch.

The fix is in the following link but the message can be ignored if you prefer not to edit the registry.
viewtopic.php?p=108259#108259

Again make sure that no other php.ini file is on your PC other than in the apache\bin folder.

Check that PHPRC is not in your Path variables.

Open the Windows Control Panel, click on the System>Advanced>Environment Variables
Under the heading User variables for [logged in user name] look for the Variable PATH
Click on the line and select Edit.
Look for an entry PHPRC followed by a path
If you find it then delete the entry then OK.
Make sure that a separator (;) remains between all entries after removing the PHPRC entry

Repeat the above under the System Variable>Path line (note the case change). Again delete the whole PHPRC entry if found.

daffy wrote:After some installs everything is there except Mysql.
Sometime Mysql will start as a service sometimes not.
Try starting MySQL using the mysql_start.bat file as it may give a more detailed error message.

daffy wrote:When I do an uninstall the Xampp directory itself will not uninstall or delete unless I restart the computer then delete it.
This is telling you that a component or a file in the xampp folder is currently still in use and the folder can't be deleted if a file is in use.

Try the sc delete fixes in the search link below to clear your registry of any sticking XAMPP services that are failing to be released.
Search for Service Controller

And don't start any XAMPP components as a Service unless that is what you want to happen every time you reboot.

Follow the instructions in this topic to download the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x86) which may help.

This post has another MS fix for MySQL
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=32617

To stop the WinMySQLAdmin issue first don't click on the MySQL Admin button in the XCP and for a more permanent fix read this search link.
Search for WinMySQLAdmin

All the above may be worth a try to solve this issue, hopefully.
Izzy

Postby daffy » 16. January 2009 12:21

Thanks for all that help.
I may have solved my immediate problem.

There was no 'PATH' in ....environment variables. there was a 'path' but that had no reference to mysql in it.
I could not stop the mysql service but then I found the bat file 'uninstall mysql service' in Xampp/bin I used that and it cured the problem...but note that the 'control panel' could not do it.

Now things are looking better.
If I call 'admin' for mySQl in the control panel it causes the screen to be covered by access violations and I note that the control panel is date 2007 so may be not good for Vista. The only cure for this is to force mqsl admin to close, using windows.

Now I have to sort out the 'password' issue for mysql but I hope that is covered elsewhere in this forum.
Thanks again
==
Dave :)
daffy

Return to XAMPP for Windows