Can't log off XP when XAMPP control panel running

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Can't log off XP when XAMPP control panel running

Postby gpearson » 12. June 2008 14:47

MY machine refuses to log off or shut down witht he control panel running. After I manually close it all is okay. Any ideas on why this is so?

Thx
Greg
gpearson

Re: Can't log off XP when XAMPP control panel running

Postby vaxvms » 13. January 2009 06:24

I have the same problem on my Windows XP system, after installing the XAMPP set (Apache, MySQL, and PHP) and successfully running the PHP test with the phpinfo() call. When I try to log off, I get an error message from the XAMPP Control Panel. It says: "ERROR: XAMPP is already running." If I try to run the XAMPP Control Panel, I get the same error message. If I do a Shutdown/Restart, then I can use the XAMPP Control Panel to see MySQL and PHP, etc. But, after I run some PHP code, I can't log off, all over again. I'm sorry I don't have a solution for you -- just empathy! I've been looking through this forum to find an answer to "our" problem. Your post has been her for a long time, with no response to help. I will start another post and hope someone responds.
vaxvms

Postby Izzy » 13. January 2009 06:41

Perhaps at the time no one had the answer for the OP's post.

Look in the system Event Viewer for any clues either in the Application or the System item.

On XP start>Administrator Tools>Event Viewer

Try and post the Status of your XCP.

What has ticks in their Svc boxes?
Remove if you can any you find.

Stop all components.

Click on the Services Button and remove all ticks in the boxes in there.

Try and close the XCP again.

Go to the Task Bar and right click to get the context menu.
Now select Task Manager>Processes tab.
Look for any apache mysql or xampp-control files
Select each in turn and click on the End Process button and answer Yes when asked to confirm.

What we are trying to do is get the XCP back to basics and all the components stopped and those that are running as a service also stopped.

Then if it fixes these issues we can go forward again.
Izzy

Postby vaxvms » 13. January 2009 12:10

Thanks for your quick reply. I will delete my other post. I was afraid no one would see my reply to an older post. I have another question, after doing the following:

(1) From Start > Administrator Tools > Event Viewer
I only saw Error and Log Records. I noticed "Spiralfrog" had some recent, big errors ("X" icon) I'm not sure how to "post the status of my XCP." I don't know what it is.

(2) From the Task Bar > (right click) > Task Manager > Processes
I did not see any Apache, mySql, or XAMPP processes or control files. However, I did see "spiralfrog.exe" and "iTunesHelper.exe" were running. I did an Internet search and found that Spiralfrog is free software, used for downloading legal music. (I think it may work with iTunes.exe) My son often downloads iTunes music. Maybe he left it running. Anyway... I was thinking I should stop the spiralfrog.exe process and maybe the iTunes.exe process. I see I have the option of stopping all components (or something like that).

Here's my question: Should I go back to the Task Manager >Processes and stop "spiralfrog.exe" and "iTunes.exe" and all the components?
vaxvms

Postby Izzy » 13. January 2009 12:22

vaxvms wrote:(1) From Start > Administrator Tools > Event Viewer
I only saw Error and Log Records. I noticed "Spiralfrog" had some recent, big errors ("X" icon) I'm not sure how to "post the status of my XCP." I don't know what it is.
In the Event Viewer you should see in the left frame three items Application, Security and System with the three corresponding names in the right frame - click on Application then after click on System to read the messages.

Are you logged into XP as an administrator or just a user as you will need to have admin privileges to work with XAMPP.

XCP is the XAMPP Control Panel and clicking on the Status button will give the status report in the message window of XCP.

vaxvms wrote:(2) From the Task Bar > (right click) > Task Manager > Processes
I did not see any Apache, mySql, or XAMPP processes or control files.

Here's my question: Should I go back to the Task Manager >Processes and stop "spiralfrog.exe" and "iTunes.exe" and all the components?
Good no running XAMPP components.

No need to End those processes and be careful ending processes that you don't know what the effect might be and never end a system process.

Izzy wrote:What has ticks in their Svc boxes?
Remove if you can any you find.

Stop all components.

Click on the Services Button and remove all ticks in the boxes in there.

Try and close the XCP again.
I did not see any response to these lines about the Xampp Control Panel in your reply.

Let me know back if you are an admin on XP or not please.
Izzy

Postby vaxvms » 13. January 2009 21:49

I am running Windows XP. I have Administrator privs.
(1) From Start > Administrator Tools > Event Viewer I can click on the "Application, System, and Security" branches. I don't see any XCP errors or messages. Under "Application," I have three "Apache Service" errors and several MySQL information logs.
==> (X) The Apache service named reported the following error:
>>> (OS 10048)Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted. : make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80 .
>>> no listening sockets available, shutting down .
>>> Unable to open logs .
==> (I) Event Scheduler: Loaded 0 events
==> (I) C:\xampp\mysql\bin\mysqld.exe: ready for connections.
Version: '5.1.30-community' socket: '' port: 3306 MySQL Community Server (GPL)

Not much under "Security." Under "System" there are several "W3SVC" errors and many informational messages from the "Service Control Manager."
==> (X) The service could not bind instance 1. The data is the error code.
==> (I) The Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) service entered the running state.
==> (I) The LiveUpdate service was successfully sent a start control. (a lot like this)

(2) From the Task Bar > (right click) > Task Manager > Processes I see a lot of executable processes, but none are the Xampp Control Panel. There are only two system processes -- winlogon.exe and csrss.exe. All other processes are under my username. BTW... I don't see a "Services Button." I see tabs for "Applications, Processes, Performance, Networking, and Users." The list of executable processes is found under the "Processes" tab. Also, I do not see any "ticks" or boxes with or without "ticks" in them. I just see a list that shows Image Name, User Name, CPU, and Mem Usage. Since I don't see anything about XCP or the "Services Button" I don't know what I should do here. Am I in the right place?

More Notes: Maybe the reason we're not seeing any problems is because the problem isn't currently there! The problem occurs after I run the php test file with the phpinfo() from "http://localhost/phpinfo.php" (I also ran an html file that called a php file (with the phpinfo() call. When I do this stuff to test my installation of PHP, that's when I can't log off. I have to do a shutdown/restart to get my system back to normal. I will run my php test file then collect all this information for you, while my system is in that funky state. My next post will have that information. Thanks for reading all this! I'll be back!!!
vaxvms

Postby vaxvms » 13. January 2009 22:16

I'm sorry, but I can't seem to reproduce the original problem of this post but things are still not quite right.

I ran my test php script with "http://localhost/index_test.html" which calls user-specified php scripts (test_php.php, test_php_sql.php, etc.) I want to test each piece at a time. The test_php.php script simply does the phpinfo() call and it works. The test_php_sql.php script tries to also do some sql stuff and it doesn't work yet. I get the error: Parse error: parse error in C:\xampp\htdocs\index_test_files\test_php_sql.php on line 21. I'm OK with this (for now) because I haven't worked on it. What I'm not OK with is that the "XAMPP Control Panel" won't work, after I get that error. It says "ERROR: XAMPP is already running" But, my bigger problem seems to have disappeared -- I can log off.

Also... Under the Event Viewer/Application I am getting errors from "Spiralfrog" but I'm not using it (I don't think) It's a big error message. It is included below. Do you think Spiralfrog is having problems because I assigned a password to the root user (after I installed XAMPP (Apache, MySql, and PHP).

=============================================================
General Information
Additional Info:
ExceptionManager.MachineName: PAULKFAMILY
ExceptionManager.TimeStamp: 1/13/2009 4:59:20 AM
ExceptionManager.FullName: Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.ExceptionManagement, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
ExceptionManager.AppDomainName: Spiralfrog.exe
ExceptionManager.ThreadIdentity:
ExceptionManager.WindowsIdentity: PAULKFAMILY\David School

1) Exception Information
Exception Type: System.Exception
Message: The metadata file (the Server Manifest) can't be downloaded for the application 'SpiralfrogClient'.
Either the manifest is unavailable (check download URL in Updater config file), the downloader failed, or
the Manifest failed validation.
TargetSite: NULL
HelpLink: NULL
Source: NULL

2) Exception Information
Exception Type: System.Threading.ThreadInterruptedException
TargetSite: Void Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.ApplicationUpdater.Interfaces.IDownloader.Download(System.String, System.String, System.TimeSpan)
HelpLink: NULL
Source: Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.ApplicationUpdater

StackTrace Information
at Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.ApplicationUpdater.Downloaders.BITSDownloader.Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.ApplicationUpdater.Interfaces.IDownloader.Download(String sourceFile, String destFile, TimeSpan maxTimeWait)
at Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.ApplicationUpdater.DownloaderManager.IsServerManifestDownloaded()
===============================================================
vaxvms

Postby Izzy » 14. January 2009 00:28

We are making progress with these issues, so hang in there. :)

(2) From the Task Bar > (right click) > Task Manager > Processes I see a lot of executable processes, but none are the Xampp Control Panel. There are only two system processes -- winlogon.exe and csrss.exe. All other processes are under my username. BTW... I don't see a "Services Button." I see tabs for "Applications, Processes, Performance, Networking, and Users." The list of executable processes is found under the "Processes" tab.
The Task Manger info above is correct.

Also, I do not see any "ticks" or boxes with or without "ticks" in them. I just see a list that shows Image Name, User Name, CPU, and Mem Usage. Since I don't see anything about XCP or the "Services Button" I don't know what I should do here. Am I in the right place?
The "tick" info relates to your XAMPP Control Panel (XCP) details not the Task Manager.

Just a couple of things you can try.

First make sure all XAMPP components are stopped and no XAMPP components are running as a service.

Double click on xampp-portcheck.exe in the xampp folder and ascertain that all ports are free.

If they are not free then disable any programs that are using any of those ports that XAMPP exclusively requires - then check again till you get all free responses..

If all free then go to the Task Manager and end the process that is of concern to you Spiralfrog - It will reload again after a reboot if it is installed as a Windows Service.

To stop this spiralfrog reload after reboot go to start>Administrative Tools>Services and locate the spiralfrog entry.

Double click on the entry will reveal the Properties window (or right click on the entry and select Properties).

In the Startup type drop box select either Manual or Disabled - Disabled will prevent the program from running after reboot and Manual will allow the program to be started when you start it from a program link manually, Automatic, the other choice, will automagically start the program after reboot..

Click OK and close the Services window.

Now test things out again.
Izzy

Postby vaxvms » 14. January 2009 17:46

Wow!! I think we're onto something big. I went to the "C:\xampp" directory and ran the "xampp-portcheck" program. I saw a lot of interesting stuff, which is listed below. Before looking at it, I have a few comments you should consider. I have been trying to get the Apache, MySQL, and PHP trio up and running on my PC for the past two weeks. I've installed and uninstalled and cleaned-up as best I could. I think there are remnants of previous attempts, all around my computer. I think pieces of previous installations are still running and competing with my current XAMPP installation of these components. BTW... one of my previous, unsuccessful installations was from XAMPP, then I tried to install the components separately, then came back. I think one of the PHP versions was PHP6. Now, I'm back to PHP5, which is where I want to be because my webhost supports PHP5 but not PHP6. Oh, what a mess! Anyway... here's the output from the "xampp-portcheck" program. BTW... Is there a way to copy or capture the output from the program into a buffer I could paste? I hand-typed all the output you see below so there may be a few typo's but I think it's accurate.

Service Port Status
Apache <HTTP> 80 C:\xampp\apache\bin\apache.exe
Apache <WebDAV> 81 free
Apache <HTTPS> 443 C:\xampp\apache\bin\apache.exe
MySQL 3306 C:\xampp\mysql\bin\mysqld.exe
FileZilla <FTP> 21 C:\WINDOWS\System32\inetsrv\inetinfo.exe
FileZilla <Admin> 14147 free
Mercury <SMTP> 25 C:\WINDOWS\System32\inetsrv\inetinfo.exe
Mercury <POP3> 110 free
Mercury <IMAP> 143 free

In your previous reply, you told me to do this:
"Double click on xampp-portcheck.exe in the xampp folder and ascertain that all ports are free. If they are not free then disable any programs that are using any of those ports that XAMPP exclusively requires - then check again till you get all free responses.."

My question is: Which of these ports does XAMPP exclusively require? Also, since there is so much redundancy do you think I should disable all programs listed in the above output? BTW... How do I "disable" a program?

Thanks for hanging in here with me! : )
vaxvms

Postby Izzy » 15. January 2009 04:38

vaxvms wrote:I think pieces of previous installations are still running and competing with my current XAMPP installation of these components
Always a possibility on Windows. Try and find any php.ini files anywhere else other than in the xampp\apache\bin folder and rename or delete them.

vaxvms wrote:Service Port Status
Apache <HTTP> 80 C:\xampp\apache\bin\apache.exe
Apache <WebDAV> 81 free
Apache <HTTPS> 443 C:\xampp\apache\bin\apache.exe
MySQL 3306 C:\xampp\mysql\bin\mysqld.exe
FileZilla <FTP> 21 C:\WINDOWS\System32\inetsrv\inetinfo.exe
FileZilla <Admin> 14147 free
Mercury <SMTP> 25 C:\WINDOWS\System32\inetsrv\inetinfo.exe
Mercury <POP3> 110 free
Mercury <IMAP> 143 free
The 2 inetinfo.exe files should not be there as XAMPP needs all those ports to be free unless of course you are running another server on ftp and smtp. I would diasable Internet Information Server (or Services) and a forum search will find the method.

vaxvms wrote:...Also, since there is so much redundancy do you think I should disable all programs listed in the above output?
No the xampp lines are fine but as I said you should stop all XAMPP components and uninstall any XAMPP services before running the port check - probably a re-read of this whole topic may help refresh your memory on some of the more helpful comments. ;)

vaxvms wrote:Is there a way to copy or capture the output from the program into a buffer I could paste?
In the Console Window top left hand corner of the title bar is a little icon.
If you click on it or right click on it then it will reveal a context menu.
The menu item Edit has what you need - mark = highlight and the rest would be familiar.

vaxvms wrote:Thanks for hanging in here with me!
You most welcome and I hope we can sort this out with a successful outcome for you.
Izzy

Postby vaxvms » 15. January 2009 13:20

I think the title of this original post was simply a symptom of my larger problem. The real problem is that I've installed and uninstalled several sets of PHP, MySQL, and Apache (separately and with XAMPP). I think, along the way, I have also installed an IIS because a random help note, at one of the million blogs, said it might help. So, the real problem is that I've got a bunch of extraneous stuff on my computer. I will end this post here and start a new one with a more appropriate title. I have a feeling that there are a lot of people with a similar problem. Thanks again for all your support. I hope to continue our "journey" via my next post! You've been very responsive and helpful. If I ever figure out what I'm doing, perhaps I can help others. Meanwhile, I'm just accepting all the help I can get!
vaxvms

Return to XAMPP for Windows