Relocating htdocs

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Relocating htdocs

Postby giles1000 » 12. January 2009 06:54

Hi

I'm really impressed with XAMPP. I develope in both XP & OSX. I'm thinking about installing a version for each OS. It would be really cool if I could create a "common" htdocs directory for both versions to access ... maybe in an external directory. I've searched around for any leads to do this but I'm not finding anything. Can you help?

Thanks
Giles
giles1000

Re: Relocating htdocs

Postby Izzy » 12. January 2009 07:13

AFAIK, you could locate the htdocs folder where you like so long as you tell the servers the location in the httpd.conf file - it is the DocumentRoot entry.

Let us know back if this works for you, please.

BTW you last posted a message a while ago now about mysql_real_escape_string but did not return and inform the forum if the solution that was presented actual helped you or if indeed you fixed the issue yourself, so as to help others reading these forums with a similar issue could see your fix.
http://community.apachefriends.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=31075

We are trying to have closure on these topics that request help so as to make each topic a complete question, answer and a verified solution. I hope you can help.
Izzy

Postby giles1000 » 12. January 2009 09:36

Thanks! - a few points

1. Worked great. (For those interested I also ammended LN 207 to same file path)

2. NEW ISSUE From your reply I get the fact that I'm going to have to change each XAMPP component to my new directory. I've been having a look at locating MySQL to the same directory but so far I can't locate any ini files - can anybody help on this

3. apologies for the unclosed query - I'll take a look and close
giles1000

Postby Izzy » 12. January 2009 09:49

giles1000 wrote:2. NEW ISSUE From your reply I get the fact that I'm going to have to change each XAMPP component to my new directory. I've been having a look at locating MySQL to the same directory but so far I can't locate any ini files...
No need to move the whole of MySQL only the data folder and the file to edit to give the details of the move is in the xampp\mysql\bin folder, a file called my.cnf or it may look like a shortcut call my - just drag this my file into your open text editor for reading and editing.

The line to edit is under the [mysqld] section, default is:
datadir="C:/xampp/mysql/data"

Thanks for looking into closing your other post, it would be nice to close off yet another topic.
Izzy

Postby giles1000 » 12. January 2009 13:01

Izzy, again I'm in your debt. Thank you. I'm now able to to have a generic location from both mac & pc development
Thank You for your help
:lol:
giles1000

Postby Izzy » 12. January 2009 13:09

giles1000 wrote:Izzy, again I'm in your debt. Thank you. I'm now able to to have a generic location from both mac & pc development
Thank You for your help
:lol:
Your welcome and good luck with it.
Izzy

Return to XAMPP for Windows