File Manager?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

File Manager?

Postby dannycsc » 06. January 2009 08:01

Ok so here goes. I have my XP x64 running on drive (C:\) I have all my items I want to share online on my drive (S:\) Then I have XAMPP running on drive (I:\) to keep it away from the OS drive. Now I would like to create a home server to host a web page using something like joomla. Using a CMS like joomla (dosn't have to be joomla) I would like to have a clean and organized way to share my files. I do not want the ugly "Like Windows Eplorer" look to it. I have tried the included filezilla and all that but it's duplicating the files from (S:\) to (I:\). Which I do not want. Can someone help me find the dream app to save my life.
dannycsc

Re: File Manager?

Postby Sharley » 06. January 2009 08:15

Not really XAMPP related but here are a couple that you can look for:

CC File Transfer
Easy File Sharing Web Server
File Share Pro

Look for free php or perl scripts or a even a java app perhaps at hotscripts.com

There will be many that are freeware I would assume and Google is your best friend using a search for file sharing apps scripts perhaps.

Is that the kind of thing you are after?
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby dmphotography » 06. January 2009 12:57

If you plan on sharing files that will be on more than one hard drive, then an FTP server would probably be the best and easiest way, or that's my guess. The problem with using something like Joomla is everything has to be either in the root directory or sub directory of your web server as far as I know.

I don't know how you link to files outside this range. Plus, with an FTP server, you wouldn't have to design or keep updating the content when you added or modified your files. The only drawback to FTP though is it's lack of security. I recently did some reading on that and it seems like there are some things you can do to greatly increase your security, but I"m not sure how much.

Now as far as Filezilla copying files, that doesn't sound right at all. The Filezilla FTP Server software just acts as a portal allowing you to make a connection and access content in the assigned directories. I wrote a tutorial on how to properly configure it if you want to take a look:
http://www.myownserver.info/index.php/step3-installing-components/7-installfilezillaftpserver.html
There's a footnote with some info on FTP security and a good link to another site detailing it better.

Filezilla FTP Server is actually quite easy to setup and configure.

Oh, and by the way, I have a private section on one of my forums that I've used to organize and share files with. Since I only want to share them with people I choose, I've set the permissions to where I have to give them access to that area, otherwise they never know it's there. It's a great and easy way to quickly organize and even categorize content. Plus, it doesn't have the security issues of the whole FTP thing.
That might be something to consider.

I hope that helps.
For great video and written tutorials and guides on creating your own web server and installing things such as forums, blogs, etc., visit http://myownhomeserver.com
dmphotography

Operating System: Windows 7

Postby dannycsc » 06. January 2009 21:48

well I tried WWW File Share Pro but its so damn ugly! So talking about filezilla is there a way to merge my ftp and a php script into a pretty site? Im looking on hotscripts but there is so much anyone have a favorite?
dannycsc

Postby dmphotography » 06. January 2009 22:14

I do believe there are php ftp scripts, but I don't know about pretty. Pretty is probably going to cost ya because pretty sells. Count yourself lucky if you find free software that's pretty. It's usually the cosmetic lacking that makes it free, but that's not always the case.

The best thing to do is read the reviews, the features, and then look and see what people say about installing it. Everyone has an opinion, so I say just go with whichever one you think looks best. Then later if you want "pretty" and it's an open source script, learn how to create a pretty little template for it.
For great video and written tutorials and guides on creating your own web server and installing things such as forums, blogs, etc., visit http://myownhomeserver.com
dmphotography

Operating System: Windows 7

Postby Nobbie » 06. January 2009 22:29

dmphotography wrote:The best thing to do is read the reviews

There is another very good thing, its called "do it yourself". But this (unfortunately) requires a lot of knowledge and work and seems to be quite unpopular - obviously its easier to blame everything and find everything ugly...
Nobbie

Postby kiranrs » 02. September 2021 14:02

Hi, I've developed a small filemanager for XAMPP. Please check it. :)
https://github.com/kiranrs/XAMPP-Project-Directory-Browser
kiranrs

XAMPP version: 3
Operating System: Windows,Linux

Return to XAMPP for Windows