Setting up FTP with XAMPP

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Setting up FTP with XAMPP

Postby Tedmund » 03. January 2009 06:57

Hello~

This is my first time working with a test server. I'm not using a PC. I'm trying to get XAMPP to work as a network. Meaning, I'm want to connect to my server outside of my home (such as at work,out of state, etc). I'm starting to practice php. And I wan't to be able to travel and edit scripts from multiple locations. Can anyone tell me how to turn my server into a network where I can edit files and such outside of my home!? Or at least tell me how to do it with a different computer, such as my laptop. I don't want to work with only a dedicated box.

I repeat. This is my first time working with a server! Please make this as simple as possible >.<. Thanks :D!
Tedmund

Re: Setting up FTP with XAMPP

Postby dmphotography » 03. January 2009 18:59

Hey Tedmund,
Welcome to the jungle. Haha. I started off learning all this a couple of weeks ago and I've really enjoyed it so far.

In regards to your question, I haven't yet configure Filezilla FTP Server for use beyond local network stuff, but it shouldn't be that hard to do.

Now one thing I would recommend you to consider doing is configuring Remote Desktop so you can log into your computer at home while out and about elsewhere. I do this with my laptop for a few reasons,

1, My desktop is my primary computer and where all my work is. You can't access your computer via FTP like you can via Remote Desktop.

2, It's a much faster PC, so the more resource intensive things I can do on it instead of the laptop, the faster I will get them done. You can run programs on your computer remotely.

3, I can access my router's configuration menu and simply switch port forwarding in it, then log in to my server remotely and the other way around.

That's pretty awesome when you need to access more than one computer connected to your home network.

It's easy to configure if your version of Windows supports it too. It's as simple as enabling it and forwarding the right port in your router configuration.

I personally haven't messed with FilezillaFTP server enough to know how to configure it and I spent a few minutes tinkering with it in hopes to get it to work so I could share with you, but I had no luck.

Check Filezilla's documentation on it.

Hope that helps in some way.
For great video and written tutorials and guides on creating your own web server and installing things such as forums, blogs, etc., visit http://myownhomeserver.com
dmphotography

Operating System: Windows 7

Postby Tedmund » 04. January 2009 05:01

Thanks so much. i actually figured it out with my laptop (in my house).

Now I just need to configure it to do the same if I'm out doors :{. Is there a way to do this with a dynamic IP? I really don't prefer static IP's -_-...
Tedmund

Postby Sharley » 04. January 2009 05:20

Please do the hard yards and search the XAMPP For Windows forum for dynamic IP.
Is there a way to do this with a dynamic IP? I really don't prefer static IP's
Your ISP has control over that, your don't have a choice.
Last edited by Sharley on 05. January 2009 02:25, edited 1 time in total.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby Tedmund » 04. January 2009 05:37

Sharley wrote:Please do the hard yards and search the XAMPP For Windows forum for dynamic IP.
Is there a way to do this with a dynamic IP? I really don't prefer static IP's
Your ISP has control over that, your don't have a choice.

you can actually lock it by setting it to be static through TCP/IP properties. I'm just curious if I can get into my server from an outdoor location, even though I have a dynamic IP :? ...
Tedmund

Postby Sharley » 04. January 2009 05:44

I'm just curious if I can get into my server from an outdoor location
What "outdoor location" do you mean?

A dynamic IP is an IP that changes every time you reconnect to the Internet through your ISP, for what ever reason, and your ISP allocates an IP for your connection from it's block of allocated IPs.

A static IP is an IP that remains the same every time you connect through your ISP to the Internet - static means never changes and dynamic means always changing.
sharley wrote:Please do the hard yards and search the XAMPP For Windows forum for dynamic IP.
You do know how to search these forums as I have not seen you do that yet?
Last edited by Sharley on 05. January 2009 02:26, edited 1 time in total.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby Tedmund » 04. January 2009 18:03

Sharley wrote:
I'm just curious if I can get into my server from an outdoor location
What "outdoor location" do you mean?

A dynamic IP is an IP that changes every time you reconnect to the Internet through your ISP, for what ever reason, and your ISP allocates an IP for your connection from it's block of allocated IPs.

A static IP is an IP that remains the same every time you connect through your ISP to the Internet - static means never changes and dynamic means always changing.
sharley wrote:Please do the hard yards and search the XAMPP For Windows forum for dynamic IP.
You do know how to search these forums as I have not seen you do that yet?

I already know what a static and dynamic IP is. I'm also aware of my IP which is already dynamic! And when I mean "outdoor", I mean if I am at school or work, will I be able to connect to my IP which is dynamic to test .php scripts from such locations!?

I've used the search option. It hasen't located what I've searched for >.>...

If you can't answer a simple question, I shall find what I want elsewhere :roll: ...
Tedmund

Postby dmphotography » 04. January 2009 18:16

I did some messing around with the Filezilla FTP server and I too cannot connect to it outside of using localhost on my server PC. I tried using other computers connected to my LAN and had no luck either.

I haven't spent much time searching for how to configure it, but what I did read didn't seem to help much on how to configure it.

I use a program called BulletProof FTP Server on my actual server, but it's not free. It's easy to configure though. I would like to know how to set Filezilla FTP server up so I could use it if I wanted to.
For great video and written tutorials and guides on creating your own web server and installing things such as forums, blogs, etc., visit http://myownhomeserver.com
dmphotography

Operating System: Windows 7

Postby Tedmund » 04. January 2009 18:29

dmphotography wrote:I did some messing around with the Filezilla FTP server and I too cannot connect to it outside of using localhost on my server PC. I tried using other computers connected to my LAN and had no luck either.

I haven't spent much time searching for how to configure it, but what I did read didn't seem to help much on how to configure it.

I use a program called BulletProof FTP Server on my actual server, but it's not free. It's easy to configure though. I would like to know how to set Filezilla FTP server up so I could use it if I wanted to.

I actually figured out how to do it. Just ftp:// your server/or host computer's IP (the one assigned by your router port). To get it, type "Ipconfig" in command prompt. You should see your IP address. I'm using a linksys router. My ip obviously starts and ends 192.168.1.***. Make sure you have FileZilla running, and also set a user and password.

But, What I'm trying to do is assign the router port IP(which goes to my server) to communicate with my dynamic IP. I have done this with a static IP by locking the dynamic in TCP/IP properties. And I managed to ftp it all the way from my brothers house. I'm just not interested with static though. I'd rather dynamic. Which I'm still trying to figure out :( ...
Tedmund

Postby Nobbie » 05. January 2009 13:43

>I'd rather dynamic. Which I'm still trying to figure out

Go for a domain on www.dyndns.org and install a "dynamic DNS" service (you will find everything you need there). And dont forget to install a portforwarding of the FTP port (i.e. 21) from your Router to your FTP Server PC.
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for Windows