XAMPP on USB U3

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

XAMPP on USB U3

Postby lyntuan » 05. January 2009 13:14

One of the objectives of AMPstart project is to seperate PHP applications and database from the web server (XAMPP package). The most ideal one is to set XAMPP package on CD (read only), PHP applications and database on USB (read/write).

The above idea is completely available on USB U3. This USB type has 2 partitions including one having CD format.

To create CD partition of USB U3, use LP Installer downloaded from www.u3.com (and certain skills)

We put XAMPP package (without the folder data of MySQL) and AMPstart.exe on CD partition,

On USB partition, we create the folder www2 containing the folder data of MySQL and the folders of PHP applications.
AMPstart.ini is set at root of USB with the content similar to the following:

[MYSQL]
;point to the folder data of MySQL
folder=\www2\data

[WEBSITE]
;point to PHP applications
website=\www2\PHPapp1,\www2\PHPapp2

;filename is open when web server is launched
homepage=index.php

[ENV]
;environment variables

Then, AMPstart running on CD partition will read configuration file AMPstart.ini on USB partition and work as being set.
Last edited by lyntuan on 06. January 2009 15:37, edited 1 time in total.
AMPstart :: Launch a Portable Web Server
http://ampstart.com
----------------------------------------------------------
Please read Disclaimer section carefully before downloading
lyntuan

Re: XAMPP on USB U3

Postby dmphotography » 06. January 2009 13:20

Well, to start with, I think your link is on that disconnected USB drive, because it doesn't work. (the "Ampstart Project" one.)

Now what I'm trying to figure out is "Why"? Why would you want to break your website into two parts like that? Why not just put the base XAMPP folder on a USB drive and just go with that? I'm not understanding the concept or purpose.
For great video and written tutorials and guides on creating your own web server and installing things such as forums, blogs, etc., visit http://myownhomeserver.com
dmphotography

Operating System: Windows 7

Postby Sharley » 06. January 2009 13:33

The above site requires you have JavaScript enabled and is the only way to navigate the site which is very wrong - most good websites, with no ulterior motive, provide an alternate text navigation system - I have never been able to access the site as sites that I don't trust have my Firefox use NoScript and in SeaMonkey I can disable scripting etc. from the browser task bar.

Trust has to be earned and I don't give it lightly especially from the word of the person requesting that trust.

Do a forum search of the product name for other interesting posts about this piece of closed source coded app that I for one would not use unless the source code was made available - after all your web server is open access to your files on your PC and with closed code you would never know what was taking place - it's that trust thing again.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby lyntuan » 06. January 2009 15:40

dmphotography wrote:Well, to start with, I think your link is on that disconnected USB drive, because it doesn't work. (the "Ampstart Project" one.)

It works!
dmphotography wrote:Now what I'm trying to figure out is "Why"? Why would you want to break your website into two parts like that? Why not just put the base XAMPP folder on a USB drive and just go with that? I'm not understanding the concept or purpose.

We don't need to modify the webserver
lyntuan

Postby lyntuan » 06. January 2009 15:50

Sharley wrote:The above site requires you have JavaScript enabled and is the only way to navigate the site which is very wrong - most good websites, with no ulterior motive, provide an alternate text navigation system - I have never been able to access the site as sites that I don't trust have my Firefox use NoScript and in SeaMonkey I can disable scripting etc. from the browser task bar.

Trust has to be earned and I don't give it lightly especially from the word of the person requesting that trust.

Have you known about Ajax technique?
Sharley wrote:Do a forum search of the product name for other interesting posts about this piece of closed source coded app that I for one would not use unless the source code was made available - after all your web server is open access to your files on your PC and with closed code you would never know what was taking place - it's that trust thing again.

M$ Windows is not an opened source!
lyntuan

Postby dmphotography » 06. January 2009 18:24

lyntuan wrote:M$ Windows is not an opened source!

And I can bet ya if they could make a version of Linux that was similar enough to the functions in Windows, there would be many more abandoning ship.

I tried to use Ubuntu and the interface is just so different. Just things like installing programs with all the "wget" commands and then having to compile them . . . . then comes the compiling errors. That crap will drive someone new to it mad.

The ease of use has made Windows popular and unfortunately for now we're stuck with it.
For great video and written tutorials and guides on creating your own web server and installing things such as forums, blogs, etc., visit http://myownhomeserver.com
dmphotography

Operating System: Windows 7

Postby Sharley » 06. January 2009 23:59

lyntuan wrote:Have you known about Ajax technique?
Asynchronous Javascript And Xml - know it well and where to get a high quality FREE development app. from a reputable and trusted software developer.

Which still does not address the issue if a visitor has JavaScript turned off and the correct website design procedure is to also include a text navigation system somewhere on the web page usually at the bottom of the page - good manners really and essential if you want people to trust your website.

lyntuan wrote:M$ Windows is not an opened source!
Microsoft has, over the years, earned a modicum of trust from it's user's where as lyntuan (who?) has earned a reputation for producing spyware...
(search these forums and/or do a Google for ampstart spyware - BTW, Oswald is the XAMPP developer and forum administrator)
...as perceived by some of your app. users - so a trust relationship will be hard earned on your part and a possible good start would be to make your source code available so those users who question your integrity can see for themselves if the code still contains possible harmful consequences for running it in a web server environment.

As you no doubt are very much aware, a web server is wide open to the Internet and is usually allowed access through a firewall, in both directions, which is easily exploitable to an unscrupulous coder.

So as I said before trust has to be earned and in my case that is not easily earned especially if only the word of the person seeking that trust is the only method available.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Return to XAMPP for Windows