Apache will not start up

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Apache will not start up

Postby djsoon » 02. January 2009 00:11

Hi

Sorry if you answered this question thousands of times,

I have loaded XAMPP today I seems that Apache will not start.

I have tried all methods, I get a service specific error has occurred:1

OR if I go through the apache_start, it just says - starting, and never starts.

Any help would be most appreciated, as I am trying to setup Joomla on my computer.

I am using windows PRO sp3, using kasperspy 2009 anti virus. I have tried turning it off and then doing it, but no joy.

Many Thanks
djsoon

Re: Apache will not start up

Postby Sharley » 02. January 2009 00:56

Apache service may already be running perhaps.

Go to your XAMPP Control Panel and Stop all XAMPP components and remove any ticks in the Svc boxes.
Close the XCP.

Go to the .\xampp\apache folder and double click on the apache_uninstallservice.bat

Now open the XCP again and try and start Apache - or for testing use the apache_start.bat file but after testing that Apache starts double click on the apache_stop.bat file or simply close the console window which should also stop Apache - then, if you prefer, use the XCP.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby djsoon » 02. January 2009 01:19

Many Thanks

Thanks for your time.

I thought it may be something simple, I have never used anything like this before so I didn't know what I was looking for and needed to use.

What service setings should I use and do I only keep apache running when I need it.

Sorry for the extra questions.

Cheers
djsoon

Postby Sharley » 02. January 2009 01:25

There are no specific service settings as such and only need to set the services by ticking the Svc boxes in the XCP if you need to always have Apache or MySQL running all the time from boot up.

Most don't, I never do as I only start the components when I need them, it can be a security issue with any old Tom, Dick or Harry trying to access your servers form the Internet to do mischief. ;)
Sharley
AF Moderator

Postby djsoon » 02. January 2009 01:29

Thanks

Are there any security settings I must set up.

I noticed the tab on the lefthand side of the screen once I went in.

To be honest I don't know how it all works as this is new to me.

Cheers
djsoon

Postby Sharley » 02. January 2009 01:39

Remember we were all new to this at one time and we all had to do the hard yards to acquire the knowledge so to start with some reading may help you get on this very interesting Server Administrator path.

.\xampp\readme_en.txt <--- A matter of security (A MUST READ!)

Read the Security pages you mentioned.

Read the XAMPP For Windows web page you download the installation from

Read the FAQ linked from the above web page.

Best of all if you have more issues please search the forums first before opening a topic - can save you lots of time.

For more specific Apache issues read the Documentation here:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/

Don't forget that Google is your friend.

Most of your issues, if any, will not be unique to you so the solutions will more than likely all ready be available, it is just a case of knowing where and how to look for them.

Good Luck.
Last edited by Sharley on 02. January 2009 01:44, edited 2 times in total.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Postby djsoon » 02. January 2009 01:40

Many Thanks for your time
djsoon

Postby dmphotography » 03. January 2009 19:19

Hey djsoon,

One of your best friends in trying to figure out why Apache won't launch is the error logs. I've solved several issues just by seeing what it is doing.

Go to C:/xampp/apache/logs/ and open the one named ERROR with Notepad. Look at the very bottom few lines and tell us what error it's giving you there.

One problem I was having with my server (running on Windows 2003) was when I had Apache checked to run as a Service and I then tried restarting it from the XAMPP control panel, it would often give me an error and refuse to start. Restarting my computer fixed it. I then learned in the XAMPP Control Panel, if you click on the SCM button and opened Windows Services, then clicked on Apache and selected "Restart" over to the left, it was far less prone to having this error.

I've discovered the thing that usually will keep Apache from running correctly is a setting I've changed and it's not properly configured, especially enabling modules improperly.
As I stated above, your Apache Error Logs are your best friend most of the time for troubleshooting startup problems.

Hope that helps.
For great video and written tutorials and guides on creating your own web server and installing things such as forums, blogs, etc., visit http://myownhomeserver.com
dmphotography

Operating System: Windows 7

Postby Sharley » 03. January 2009 23:39

dmphotography wrote:One of your best friends in trying to figure out why Apache won't launch is the error logs. I've solved several issues just by seeing what it is doing...

...As I stated above, your Apache Error Logs are your best friend most of the time for troubleshooting startup problems.
Although a commendable action to always read the error log file when you have server issues it is not however the best solution when Apache won't start - running the apache_start.bat file gives a much more detailed error message and this bat file would be the preferred method of finding Apache start issues (as pointed out in many post in these forums - search them).
Sharley
AF Moderator

Postby djsoon » 04. January 2009 12:54

Thanks for the tip

Cheers
djsoon

Return to XAMPP for Windows