Upgrade from 1.6.8 to 1.7.0 recommended? your opinion

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Upgrade from 1.6.8 to 1.7.0 recommended? your opinion

Postby wille » 27. December 2008 18:27

What do you think of the new upgrade? Does it make some parts faster, more secure,....? For me I use Xampp on localhost for private use.

I’d love to hear your opinion about this

(A happy New Year for all btw :mrgreen: )
wille

Re: Upgrade from 1.6.8 to 1.7.0 recommended? your opinion

Postby Sharley » 27. December 2008 23:16

wille wrote:What do you think of the new upgrade?...
It is not recommended to "upgrade" but rather to do a fresh install of 1.7 which is referenced here:
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html
The current XAMPP version contains no PHP 4 anymore!
We do not recommend to make an upgrade because version 1.7.0 have too many changes.

The choice is yours really if you want to stick to your current version or install the latest versions of all XAMPP components with some improvements across the board.

Worth noting though is that the longer you put of moving to the latest version the harder the move up can be, because usually it is not required to install again but to use the upgrade versions supplied which have minimal upgrade issues and those upgrade versions don't usually provide for upgrading older versions but rather from the last version to the current version only.

Either way it is always advisable to backup your personal files and any configuration adjustments you have made - after a fresh install though, don't simply overwrite any conf or ini files with your old versions but rather just make edits to the new files with your preferred changes or you stand the chance of excluding any of the new versions configuration inclusions, which may have unpredictable results.

Good luck for the new year.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

after installing all users goes to hell

Postby ironmansp » 29. December 2008 09:29

After installing 1.7 where I have 1.6.8 release all user go to hell, so I have to create again all users manually.
Be carefull
ironmansp

Re: after installing all users goes to hell

Postby Sharley » 31. December 2008 03:47

ironmansp wrote:After installing 1.7 where I have 1.6.8 release all user go to hell, so I have to create again all users manually.
Be carefull
That sort of comment is only valid if you include details of how you did the change from 1.6.8 to 1.7.0.

Sounds to me like you did not backup your databases before installing the new version - tut tut.

The install and upgrade instruction should be followed and a backup of the whole old 1.6.8 xampp folder should be created then you will always have the complete 1.6.8 version to fall back on if 1.7.0 fails (just a case of renaming folders) - all you need do to achieve the xampp folder backup is to drag the whole folder, holding down the Ctrl key, to another location, even within the root folder it is already in, which in the default XAMPP Windows installation folder creates a C:\Copy of xampp folder with everything intact - no losses at all and definitely no users going to hell. :)
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Re: Upgrade from 1.6.8 to 1.7.0 recommended? your opinion

Postby ironmansp » 31. December 2008 08:10

only "users privileges" database where affected. the rest of databases where ok with all data tables...
I should enter via phpmyadmin and create again users , and the webs work ok...
ironmansp

Return to XAMPP for Windows