Apache does not have "Running" status

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Apache does not have "Running" status

Postby callielara » 27. December 2008 21:54

I am new at this and I downloaded and installed XAMPP today. In the control panel under Modules, Apache does not have a "running status". I clicked on the Start button for Apache and see a message that says Apache started (with the port number). However there is no check mark in the Apache checkbox and the button stays in the start status. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I am doing incorrectly.

Any help is appreciated.
Thank you.
callielara

Re: Apache does not have "Running" status

Postby ifdef » 27. December 2008 22:04

Try to connect to localhost in your browser to verify that the server is serving pages. The next step would be to run the Apache start script from the command line to see if it shows you any additional information.

Also include:
What OS are you using?
What Version of XAMPP?
Are there any previous installs on your system?
ifdef

Postby Sharley » 27. December 2008 22:10

ifdef wrote:Try to connect to localhost in your browser to verify that the server is serving pages
If Apache is not running then trying to access http://localhost would not be an option.

Click on Stop on all the XAMPP components in the XAMPP Control Panel (XCP) and then Exit the XCP.

Go to xampp folder and double click on xampp_start.bat file and see what error message is returned why Apache can't start - Vista users may have to right click on the bat file and select Run as administrator.

Make sure that Microsoft's IIS is disabled and you are not running Skype on port 80 as both those apps will prevent Apache from starting.
Last edited by Sharley on 27. December 2008 22:20, edited 1 time in total.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby callielara » 27. December 2008 22:20

I am using MS Vista and running XAMPP 1.7.0. I have installed and deinstalled 3x. I keep getting "page not found" when I try to test using http://localhost/.
callielara

Postby Sharley » 27. December 2008 22:23

callielara wrote:I am using MS Vista and running XAMPP 1.7.0. I have installed and deinstalled 3x. I keep getting "page not found" when I try to test using http://localhost/.
What error message did you get when you ran the apache_start.bat file?
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby callielara » 27. December 2008 22:27

I was running a SKYPE at the time. Once I shut it down and tried running Apache again. It worked. Thanks very much. All of the replies received were very much appreciated.
callielara

Return to XAMPP for Windows