Mercury/Startup issue

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Mercury/Startup issue

Postby almo » 18. December 2008 20:47

Hello,

I've got XAMPP working great on a Windows XP SP2 machine. I have php/mySQL and Mercury all working together.

My problem is that I've tried to set XAMPP Control Panel to run as a service, and I've told it to start Mercury.

When I reboot, Mercury is not running, and neither is the XAMPP control panel. If I start the XAMPP CP service by hand, it starts and stops without appearing to do anything. Mercury still does not run. I have to start the XAMPP CP by hand and click the Mercury start button to get Mercury running.

Obviously this isn't the best way to run a server machine in that we can't restart it without me being around to get Mercury running again.

Almo
almo

Re: Mercury/Startup issue

Postby Sharley » 18. December 2008 23:12

"Mercury/32 and its individual servers can't be run as Windows services" is the general consensus...

...but best for this would be the Mercury Forums - and this thread may be what you need:
http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/10255.aspx
BTW, David Harris is the developer.

I hope this is of help for you.
Good luck.

If you prefer you can install http://www.hmailserver.com/ which may be able to use the Windows service.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby almo » 18. December 2008 23:23

Well, I thought setting the XAMPP control panel to be a service and telling it to start Mercury would do what I'm asking. That's why I'm asking here instead of at Mercury. But I'll definitely go look there as well. Thanks.
almo

Postby Sharley » 18. December 2008 23:43

almo wrote:Well, I thought setting the XAMPP control panel to be a service and telling it to start Mercury would do what I'm asking...

When the XCP sets the service it does not, for some unknown buggy reason, include the mercury part - C:\xampp\service.exe mercury

You can add it manually after exiting the XCP by going to the Services interface from the start>Administrative Tools>Services and look for XAMPP Service
Right click and select Properties.
Look for the box Start parameters and add mercury
Click OK
Then Start the service - but XCP will stop after doing it saying it has nothing to do - again ???
Check that the service is set to Automatic and it should load mmc.exe at boot, which you can check also.
Check using Task Manager that mmc.exe is running - that is the best I can suggest other than using the hMailServer of course and any clues from the pMail forums.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Postby almo » 19. December 2008 00:03

Ok this is weird. The XAMPP Service doesn't store the parameters I give it. I enter "mercury" in the Start Parameters box. I hit ok, then reopen the properties, and it's blank again.

Actually, other services don't remember those parameters, either. :(

Well, thanks for your help. I guess I'll try the NTWrapper solution from the Mercury website.
almo

Postby Sharley » 19. December 2008 00:07

Here is a link to read about that:
http://kbase.pmail.gen.nz/
Sharley
AF Moderator

Postby almo » 19. December 2008 00:26

I have more information:

I've found the service entry in the registry. "mercury" is in fact listed in the AppParameters key. But it doesn't seem to have any effect. I've verified I have the right copy of it by changing Application to c:\xampp\service.exex and trying to start the service from the control panel; it does complain that it can't find the file. So it seems the service is ignoring the command line parameters, or maybe windows is ignoring the AppParameters field.
almo

Return to XAMPP for Windows