Upgrading to Apache 2.2.10

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Upgrading to Apache 2.2.10

Postby Parahacker » 08. December 2008 11:21

I'd like to install the Apache 2.2.10 security update. Being a moderate Apache noob and not knowing exactly what settings need to be properly configured (Since Xampp just *worked* on my computer, I've never had to mess with them except to secure my install and setup Eclipse/Xdebug), I thought I'd ask you friendly folks to walk me through the process. I'm using Windows XP sp3, and I have the latest version of Xampp installed and working beautifully--I don't want to break it, so if I'm better off leaving things alone let me know and I will. ^_^

Thanks and God bless.

Don Forrester
Parahacker

Re: Upgrading to Apache 2.2.10

Postby Sharley » 08. December 2008 12:03

Leave everything alone is my advice.

Very shortly there will be a XAMPP 1.7.0 released with Apache 2.2.10 included, so just hang on for that and then upgrade your current XAMPP version with the XAMPP upgrade file from the Apache Friends XAMPP for Windows web page.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby Parahacker » 08. December 2008 12:18

Ok. But in the future, should anybody need to upgrade just the apache part of the installation for XP, what's recommended?
Parahacker

Postby Nobbie » 08. December 2008 12:28

Parahacker wrote:Ok. But in the future, should anybody need to upgrade just the apache part of the installation for XP, what's recommended?

Not to use Xampp.

If you like to have the advantage of an "easy-to-install out-of-the-box" installation like Xampp, you should use Xampp, but cannot easily update single components (as Apache for example).

If you prefer to be up-to-date at any time, you should not use Xampp and install all tools separately and upgrade at any time you want. You must configure PHP, Apache, MySQL correctly to get them working together.

You cannot have both.
Nobbie

Postby Parahacker » 08. December 2008 12:55

Oh really? So, heaven forbid, if the Apachefriends team ever has to stop updating, or forks in a direction that renders my apps invalid, there's no possible way for me to update? I'll have to start from scratch and re-do all of the work that the Xampp team has, to this point, done so well?

Do I have some kind of Apache on my machine right now that is totally different in every way from the original 2.2.9? There's no possible way to learn what settings I need to watch out for if I choose to take an open-souce piece of an open-source project and fix a security vulnerability when I learn about it? Too much voodoo involved?

Thank you for enlightening me.
Parahacker

Postby Nobbie » 08. December 2008 15:13

>there's no possible way for me to update?

No "easy" way if you use Xampp, as Xampp is preconfigured to run in a certain environment.

>Do I have some kind of Apache on my machine right now that is totally different in every way from the original 2.2.9?

I dont think, but the configuration files (all text files and changeable to your needs) are preconfigured to meet the defaults of Xampp. You may of course change everything.

>There's no possible way to learn what settings I need to watch out for if I choose to take an open-souce piece of an open-source project and fix a security vulnerability when I learn about it? Too much voodoo involved?

Of course there is a way to learn which settings you need to watch and to change. No voodoo at all - simply RTFM!

But: if you do so and are well-educated to configure Apache, PHP, MySQL on your own (what i recommend any way) - there is no need (for you) to use Xampp instead of all these open source tools seperately, because Xampp simply is a "distribution" - similar to a linux distribution (like SuSE, Ubuntu, Fedora etc.), but smaller, as it only consists of a few web development tools.
Nobbie

Postby Parahacker » 08. December 2008 19:01

In other words, Nobbie, you think this is a foolish request. I can accept that, but I persist in my inquiry.

I'm asking for my hand held as to what settings might be affected if I were to try to update to Apache 2.2.10, and what settings in general to watch out for. I think that's a reasonable request on this forum; it'd be useful information for more than just me to have, and Xampp doesn't have such a manual to RTF out of. I have no idea what settings Xampp has altered from the original Apache, PHP et. al., nor what every additional script or tweak they've added is to give me things like the nifty taskbar console. So even if I were versed in Apache, I'd still need to know what stuff might break if I upgraded myself; it wouldn't be enough to just RTFApacheM. Anyway... To go the full monty route you're suggesting is something I'll eventually probably do, after I study up on all of the OTHER software I use on a daily basis, and the new software that I have to deal with in my job daily. In fact, I have dipped my toe into the Apache docs in the past, though it was like trying to read Spanish from a Japanese translator's interpretation into Esperanto. Or legal code. I'm willing to wait for the next Xampp to come out, but just in case, and out of simple curiosity, if somebody knows what it would take to do it manually, then let them speak. If you don't want to answer, fine, but if anyone else has an answer, I'd appreciate that a lot.
Parahacker

Postby Nobbie » 08. December 2008 20:54

>If you don't want to answer, fine, but if anyone else has an answer, I'd appreciate that a lot.

Its not a question of "dont want", i simply cannot. I dont know (and I am not interested in) the specific Xampp settings.

I strongly believe - no, I definately know, that there is NO problem at all, simply to install Apache, PHP, MySQL without Xampp. As I did and do since many many years.

But, as well, I think, that Xampp is a nice and easy to install web development environment for many many users, that do not have sufficient knowledge about Apache, PHP, MySQL etc. and who dont like to investigate much time in configuring their environment.

So, if you like to be up-to-date at any time - dont use Xampp. Whats wrong about that? Its not that difficult, by far not. And - last not least - Xampp is NOT RECOMMENDED for productive environments, its only a little help for newcomers who like to test their webdevelopment locally.
Nobbie

Return to XAMPP for Windows