Can Xampp be used as a platform for hosting public websites?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Can Xampp be used as a platform for hosting public websites?

Postby f_vincent » 26. November 2008 17:19

Hi, I am very new at this. Help would be greatly appreciated. I have some questions:
1- can Xampp be used as a platform for hosting websites which will be delivered to online public worldwide?
I am using Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition with IIS v 6.0.
I have installed XAMPP, but the Apache server module is not running. I think it has to do with the ports 80 and 443 which are being used by other scripts. Can I assign Apache function to other ports? How do I do that? How do I know which ports are available for effective functioning of Apache?
3 of the four modules XAMPP are running, but Apache is not.
2- Another question is: how do I point a specific domain name to a website inside the htdocs folder?
3- Can I have websites being delivered online from the Windows server, simultaneously with websites being delivered from Apache? Will there not be interference?
Well I hope this is not too much for my first public appearance on this forum. thank you for which ever help you may be willing to provide.
all the best
f_vincent

Re: Can Xampp be used as a platform for hosting public websi

Postby paintballer4lfe » 27. November 2008 03:56

f_vincent wrote:Hi, I am very new at this. Help would be greatly appreciated. I have some questions:
1- can Xampp be used as a platform for hosting websites which will be delivered to online public worldwide?
I am using Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition with IIS v 6.0.
I have installed XAMPP, but the Apache server module is not running. I think it has to do with the ports 80 and 443 which are being used by other scripts. Can I assign Apache function to other ports? How do I do that? How do I know which ports are available for effective functioning of Apache?
3 of the four modules XAMPP are running, but Apache is not.
2- Another question is: how do I point a specific domain name to a website inside the htdocs folder?
3- Can I have websites being delivered online from the Windows server, simultaneously with websites being delivered from Apache? Will there not be interference?
Well I hope this is not too much for my first public appearance on this forum. thank you for which ever help you may be willing to provide.
all the best

i dont get what you mean by a platform, but you can use it as a public web server, and you can change the port in the apache http conf file, you can change SSL to by editing the SSL conf file, as far as domains go, you have to get a free sub domain, or pay to get one.

you can set your domain if the apache http conf file.
paintballer4lfe

knowing which are the available free ports

Postby f_vincent » 27. November 2008 10:46

Thank you so much for the valuable information.There is a file named port check that I used successfully to know about free available ports for Apache server. However, I did this in my own computer. When I tried to do it in my client's computer, the window containing this information just flashed for 1/10 of a second and disappeared. Could not read anything. How can I know, about the available Free ports that can be effectively used by Apache server? Is there any specification, or will any port, whatsoever, do the job ? If you can help about this, it would be great. Thank you for your help. All the best
f_vincent

Exact folder, file name and extension of the the Apache conf

Postby f_vincent » 27. November 2008 11:04

If possible, I would also ask you about info for the aspects below:
Inside the XAMPP installation directory, which is Exact folder, file name and extension for the the Apache conf and SSL conf files .Because I'm a beginner, I need to understand this from the very elementary aspects. Thank you so much for any help you may provide.
f_vincent

Return to XAMPP for Windows