Port 80 is already being used

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Port 80 is already being used

Postby JonNielsen » 13. November 2008 06:13

Hello guys,

I'm installing Xampp on vista 64 bit, but getting:
"Port 80 or 443 (SSL) already in use. Installing Apache2.2 service failed".

It's most likely the IIS listening to port 80 - but i can't seem to find it under SCM, to shut it off.

I don't feel like putting my apache on another port - can you help me shut it off?
JonNielsen

Re: Port 80 is already being used

Postby JonNielsen » 13. November 2008 06:16

JonNielsen wrote:Hello guys,

I'm installing Xampp on vista 64 bit, but getting:
"Port 80 or 443 (SSL) already in use. Installing Apache2.2 service failed".

It's most likely the IIS listening to port 80 - but i can't seem to find it under SCM, to shut it off.

I don't feel like putting my apache on another port - can you help me shut it off?

I should probably tell that im running on a clean install of vista ultimate. Weird that it has IIS running? Hmmm...
JonNielsen

Postby Sharley » 13. November 2008 06:46

First, go to Control Panel, and then click on Programs. You'll see a link for "Turn Windows features on or off" under the heading Programs and Features - you made need to enter an administrator password.

Un-check the Internet Information Services so the box is blank (not colored or ticked).

Click OK
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby JonNielsen » 13. November 2008 06:50

Sharley wrote:First, go to Control Panel, and then click on Programs. You'll see a link for "Turn Windows features on or off" under the heading Programs and Features - you made need to enter an administrator password.

Un-check the Internet Information Services so the box is blank (not colored or ticked).

Click OK

Thanks mate.

But the IIS aint on :/ I guess something else is listening to port 80. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks again, Sharley.
JonNielsen

Postby Sharley » 13. November 2008 06:54

Run by right clicking and select to Run as Administrator .\xampp\xampp-portcheck.exe as this will tell you what is using the ports.

Skype is the favoured culprit if IIS is not running - check by using the Task Manger to see if a file inserv.exe (IIS) or skype.exe perhaps is in the Processes tab.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Postby JonNielsen » 13. November 2008 06:57

Sharley wrote:Run by right clicking and select to Run as Administrator .\xampp\xampp-portcheck.exe as this will tell you what is using the ports.

Skype is the favoured culprit if IIS is not running - check by using the Task Manger to see if a file inserv.exe (IIS) or skype.exe perhaps is in the Processes tab.

I do have skype installed. Give me a min, ill try shutting it down - and reinstalling xampp.
JonNielsen

Postby Sharley » 13. November 2008 07:00

In Skype's configuration you can select another port instead of port 80 then you can still use Skype and your server.
Last edited by Sharley on 13. November 2008 07:02, edited 2 times in total.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Postby JonNielsen » 13. November 2008 07:00

Sharley wrote:Run by right clicking and select to Run as Administrator .\xampp\xampp-portcheck.exe as this will tell you what is using the ports.

The xampp control panel seems a bit buggy. Tells me apache/mysql couldn't be started.. but once i run the bat-files, it works perfectly.

I still the love program tho...

Thanks for the help, Sharley. :).
JonNielsen

Return to XAMPP for Windows