older versions of MySQL in xampp?

Problems with the Linux version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

older versions of MySQL in xampp?

Postby gregg_hughes » 01. November 2008 17:39

Good morning!

I have a website running on my webhost and locally on a Linux server. I'm having some problems that may be related to the MySQL versions - 5.0.51b on the local xampp server and 4.1.20 on the live site.

Is there a way to load up an older version of MySQL without breaking xampp to test this?

Thanks!

Gregg
gregg_hughes

Postby glitzi85 » 02. November 2008 18:22

Just download this version of MySQL from http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/4.1.html and install it. Then make a dump of your XAMPP-Database and stop the MySQL of XAMPP. Now start your newly installed MySQL and import your backed up data.

glitzi

PS: Sorry, could only find version 4.1.22, but that shouldn't be too different from 4.1.20
glitzi85

Minor problem...

Postby gregg_hughes » 04. November 2008 21:32

Hi, Glitzi!

Thanks for the response, and apologies for not getting back to you sooner.

Tried installing older MySQL and importing - not being MySQL guru, fell over myself several times. Joomla site could not pick up new database name and location.

Any hints on what the MySQL is called and what I should/could look for in pointing the website to the older DB?

BTW, tried to re-import with MySQL40 in the import command, but no luck there, either.

Thanks!

Gregg
gregg_hughes

Postby glitzi85 » 05. November 2008 14:40

OK, here you go:

Start MySQL and Apache in the XAMPP Control Panel. Then open a command line (Start -> Run -> cmd.exe) and execute this command (change the Path of xampp if you installed it somewhere else):

Code: Select all
C:\xampp\mysql\bin\mysqldump.exe -A --user=root --password=passworforroot > C:\xampp\tmp\backup.sql

Then stop MySQL in the Control Panel and start your installed MySQL. Then execute this command:

Code: Select all
C:\xampp\mysql\bin\mysql.exe --user=root --passwort=passwordforroot < C:\xampp\tmp\backup.sql

Don't care that the mysql.exe is from XAMPP, it should work. The password of root in this command may be different from that in the first command. The first one ist the user that you have in XAMPP. If you did not set a root Password in XAMPP MySQL just remove the --password part from the command. Same thing for the second command. Maybe you had to set up a root password during installation of your new MySQL Database, then use this password. otherwise remove the --password part also here.

Now you can use http://localhost/phpmyadmin to administrate your new Databse. If you want to switch to the XAMPP MySQL just stop the self installed one and start MySQL in the Control Panel. Your Joomla Installation should work without any changes, as the complete Data from the XAMPP MySQL was transfered to the new Database.

glitzi
glitzi85

Found it!!

Postby gregg_hughes » 05. November 2008 16:31

Problem was in the move of the website files. There's a file that should be called .htaccess, but it was somehow (I have no idea) changed to htaccess.txt. The file extension made it unreadable by the PHP website, and the lack of the leading dot made it visible (which it shouldn't be) so - saved back in proper format and we're good to go! :D

Thanks for your help!

Gregg
gregg_hughes

Return to XAMPP for Linux