How to back up xampp database?

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

How to back up xampp database?

Postby azan » 29. October 2008 12:49

hey guys!

how to back up all the data that located in the xampp folder?

i mean, how to backup all the tables including its data?

so that...whenever my pc crash...i could re-install xampp...and just add up the back up data back into the system....

any idea??

thanks

azhan
azan

Postby Wiedmann » 29. October 2008 12:58

Stop MySQL and copy/backup the folder \xampp\mysql\data somewhere.
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Ouuhh

Postby azan » 29. October 2008 13:01

Ouhhh...okay...last time i didnt succeed mayb because i didnt turn off the mysql first...huhu...so..by this method i could simply transfer my database to another pc?

thanks wiedmann..... :lol:
azan

Re: Ouuhh

Postby glitzi85 » 29. October 2008 14:34

azan wrote:Ouhhh...okay...last time i didnt succeed mayb because i didnt turn off the mysql first

That's not a good idea. Especially in a production environment you could run into trouble if you copy the Database files while somebody is accessing the database by SQL at the same time. Then you may get corrupted Files.

azan wrote:...huhu...so..by this method i could simply transfer my database to another pc?

Yes, but only to the same Type of OS. If you want to make universal backups or transfers, use the mysqldump command line tool or if your Database is not too big you can use the phpMyAdmin Export function.

glitzi
glitzi85

yeah

Postby azan » 29. October 2008 16:11

thanks for your suggestion glitzi85...

nope....im not in the production field....i know some ppl would not prefer xampp as for the database due to its security...but im creating a database for small department that need easy retrievable data or report....more into management thingy....

Ppl ask me to switch to linux as for the platform....but looking to my environment of networking that only handle file sharing (no internet, no outside connection).....windows should be fine in handling non-complex file sharing right?

im still a bit blur.....hehe....summary- i need to create database + Lan networking for SMALL department.....

what is the optimum way for small department do u tink?

glad have some contributor here...:D

azhan
azan

Return to XAMPP for Windows