Is it possible to...

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Is it possible to...

Postby elitewarrior » 26. October 2008 23:32

Here is what i wanna do.

I Have apache friends and i am currently using the Apache port and the Mysql port. I also have serv-u ftp server. Is it possible to combine the two so that i use apache friends port but when i go to a link (ex. mysite.com/serv-u ftp) it switches over to the ftp server.

Is this possible?

Help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks, Saurex
elitewarrior

Re: Is it possible to...

Postby Sharley » 27. October 2008 01:27

elitewarrior wrote:Here is what i wanna do.

I Have apache friends and i am currently using the Apache port and the Mysql port. I also have serv-u ftp server. Is it possible to combine the two so that i use apache friends port but when i go to a link (ex. mysite.com/serv-u ftp) it switches over to the ftp server.

Is this possible?

Help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks, Saurex

Sure, don't start FileZilla FTP server included in XAMPP.

Configure Serv-u FTP server to use mysite.com on port 21 or whatever port you like but 21 is the default ftp port.

You can have the ftp server start as a service when you boot your PC so it is always available, just like you can with Apache and MySQL.

Then if Serv-u is up and running, in your browser or ftp client, go to ftp.mysite.com or ftp://mysite.com or http://mysite.com:21 if port 21 is the port you configured in Serv-u.

Let me know if the above is not what you had in mind or try and give more details about what you are trying to achieve, but really the above is how FTP should be configured as it is a different protocol to http.

BTW, be very careful allowing anonymous access to your ftp server as it can be a nightmare unless it is configured correctly and keep in mind that when ever you create a link to an ftp address that has an access user/pass combination, that at some stage, the user will have to enter their access credentials you set up for them in Serv-u.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby elitewarrior » 28. October 2008 21:22

Thanks for the reply how ever this does not solve my problem. Serv-U has a built in browser ftp that runs on port 80. So if Serv-U is running and i go to my ip address then I will get a log in page which will redirect the user to the computer files.

Screen shot -

I hope that helps you understand my problem better :/
elitewarrior

Postby Wiedmann » 28. October 2008 21:35

Serv-U has a built in browser ftp that runs on port 80.

Well, disable this "built in browser ftp" or change the port.
--> Surf-U support
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby Sharley » 28. October 2008 21:45

Apache uses port 80 exclusively and so will not work if there is another server using port 80 - .\xampp\xampp-portcheck.exe

Either you have to change the port that Apache uses in the .\xampp\apache\conf\httpd.conf file or change the port that Serv-u uses (preferred) if you want them both to run at the same time.

Once you have both the Apache server and Serv-u server running at the same time without conflict then redirecting as you require may be possible.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Postby elitewarrior » 30. October 2008 03:20

Ok here is what I did

I changed the listening port of Serv-U to port 90. But for some reason that only works inside my lan network. Outside i get page not found error. I tried others ports and even tried DMZ but with no results. Any more idea :/

Btw thanks for the help so far... Really appreciate :D
elitewarrior

Postby Sharley » 30. October 2008 03:26

Perhaps port forwarding in your router configuration for your new Serv-u port may help.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Postby elitewarrior » 04. November 2008 23:24

sorry for not replying for a while, i had a huge urge to format because of slow system but im back now. I tried port forwarding but that didn't work :( . So any thing else i can try before i give up?
elitewarrior

Postby Wiedmann » 04. November 2008 23:42

Just a little question:
Why does you need this web/browser addition from Serv-U?
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby elitewarrior » 06. November 2008 04:22

The FTP server is so I can access my computer from anywhere in the world without installing an ftp program. While the Xampp Apache I need to share files with my friends. I know I can just give them log in's but why the hassle? If its not possible then i will just get free hosting and link the files to my computer on Apache on a different port
elitewarrior

Return to XAMPP for Windows