XAMPP 1.6.8 and Visa Home Premium

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

XAMPP 1.6.8 and Visa Home Premium

Postby ozguy » 22. October 2008 14:00

I have recently installed XAMPP 1.6.8 on a Vista Home Premium with SP1.

The installation went OK, but after the installation MySQL is not firing up. When try to start it from the XAMPP control panel I get the following error

Error: MySQL service not started [-1]

When trying to start MySQL from Winodws Services, I get the following error:

Wondows could not start the Mysql service on Local Computer.

Error 2: The system could not find the file specified.

This is the file path as shown in Windows services for MySQL:

C:/xampp/mysql/bin/mysqld-shareware.exe

Is this pointing to a correct executable?

How do I solve this problem? I have re-installed it many times. I have even installed XAMPP V1.6.6a but with the same result.

Any help would be much appreciated.
ozguy

Postby Wiedmann » 22. October 2008 14:35

I have recently installed XAMPP 1.6.8 on a Vista Home Premium with SP1.

How exactly?

(Any previous installations on this box?)
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby ozguy » 22. October 2008 14:37

No, no previous installations.

I installed a fresh copy today. But when it continue to failed then removed and re-installed the application a couple of times.
ozguy

Postby Wiedmann » 22. October 2008 16:10

I installed a fresh copy today.

With the installer or from a ZIP?

UAC is diasabled for "C:\xampp"?

then removed and re-installed the application a couple of times.

Make sure that really all services are deinstalled, before you make a new installation.
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby ozguy » 23. October 2008 22:43

How do I delete a service? I can see MySQL still there? But the XAMPP folder has already been removed.

The only thing I can do is disbale the service.

Wiedmann wrote:
I installed a fresh copy today.

With the installer or from a ZIP?

UAC is diasabled for "C:\xampp"?

then removed and re-installed the application a couple of times.

Make sure that really all services are deinstalled, before you make a new installation.
ozguy

Postby Sharley » 24. October 2008 01:50

Go to start>Run..
Type sc delete mysql
or
sc.exe delete mysql
Click Go

Try and install XAMPP again.

Before uninstalling XAMPP, if you need to do it again, find and use the *_uninstallservices.bat files and don't forget to stop/uninstall the CP if it is also running as a service - it is done within the CP itself.

Look in folders apache and mysql for the uninstallservices bat files.

sc.exe is the Windows Service Control Manager and by simply typing sc.exe in the Run... box will give you back a list of all commands.
(you may have to open a command console window in the windows\system32 folder for XP but Vista should be the same to have the console stay open long enough to read the help screen - check first by typing at the Run... box cmd enter then cd\ enter then cd c:\windows\system32 enter then type sc.exe enter at the command prompt).

In Vista you would need to have Administrator privileges...
(often by right clicking on the file you wish to run or execute and selecting from the context menu Run as Administrator)
...and to disable the User Account Control (UAC) to do almost anything useful.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby ozguy » 25. October 2008 07:39

Thanks Sharley.

I was able to delete the mysql service and after deleting it and installing xampp again, i am able to run apache and mysql.

Whilst this is not crucial, i get the following error and keep gettong when I start the mysql service and click on admin button through xampp control panel.

"Access vilodation at address 10009FBO in module 'LIBMYSQL.dll. Read of address 00000000."

Do you know how may solve this problem?

Many thanks for your help.

Sharley wrote:Go to start>Run..
Type sc delete mysql
or
sc.exe delete mysql
Click Go

Try and install XAMPP again.

Before uninstalling XAMPP, if you need to do it again, find and use the *_uninstallservices.bat files and don't forget to stop/uninstall the CP if it is also running as a service - it is done within the CP itself.

Look in folders apache and mysql for the uninstallservices bat files.

sc.exe is the Windows Service Control Manager and by simply typing sc.exe in the Run... box will give you back a list of all commands.
(you may have to open a command console window in the windows\system32 folder for XP but Vista should be the same to have the console stay open long enough to read the help screen - check first by typing at the Run... box cmd enter then cd\ enter then cd c:\windows\system32 enter then type sc.exe enter at the command prompt).

In Vista you would need to have Administrator privileges...
(often by right clicking on the file you wish to run or execute and selecting from the context menu Run as Administrator)
...and to disable the User Account Control (UAC) to do almost anything useful.
ozguy

Postby Sharley » 25. October 2008 14:14

There are a couple of fixes that seem to work for this issue.

One is to add a user/pass to the my.ini file and the other is to remove the winmysqladmin shortcut from the OS Startup folder possible in:
C:\Documents and Settings\[logged on user name or All Users]\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

A search of the forum for either Keyword: violation or libmysql in the Forum: XAMPP For Windows and under the Category: Apache Friends In English will give you the details within some recent threads - but this issue has been around for a while now.

BTW, WinMySQLAdmin is deprecated and the use of phpMyAdmin is just fine for most database administration purposes, however within those search results you may find an alternative solution at the MySQL web site if you really have a need.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby ozguy » 26. October 2008 02:15

I have disabled winmysqladmin.exe from starting up automatically. I dont have any needs for it, I am happy to use phpMyadmin.

Thanks for your help.

Sharley wrote:There are a couple of fixes that seem to work for this issue.

One is to add a user/pass to the my.ini file and the other is to remove the winmysqladmin shortcut from the OS Startup folder possible in:
C:\Documents and Settings\[logged on user name or All Users]\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

A search of the forum for either Keyword: violation or libmysql in the Forum: XAMPP For Windows and under the Category: Apache Friends In English will give you the details within some recent threads - but this issue has been around for a while now.

BTW, WinMySQLAdmin is deprecated and the use of phpMyAdmin is just fine for most database administration purposes, however within those search results you may find an alternative solution at the MySQL web site if you really have a need.
ozguy

Return to XAMPP for Windows