Latest xampp upgrade 1.6.8 does it apply to 1.6.6a

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Postby rory » 07. October 2008 22:33

I have Xampp win 32-1.6.6a installed on server. The latest upgrade is 1.6.7- 1.6.8 although it mentions +1.6.6a Do I need to download another version of the upgrade or can i sue the latest upgrade? Thanks.
rory

Re: Latest xampp upgrade 1.6.8 does it apply to 1.6.6a

Postby Sharley » 08. October 2008 02:05

rory wrote:I have Xampp win 32-1.6.6a installed on server. The latest upgrade is 1.6.7- 1.6.8 although it mentions +1.6.6a Do I need to download another version of the upgrade or can i sue the latest upgrade? Thanks.

This 1.6.8 Upgrade package is, as mentioned, suitable for version 1.6.6a and 1.6.7 - go for it.

I usually drag the existing xampp folder holding the Ctrl key to make a Copy of xampp as a backup just in case there are any issues with the upgrade.

If there are any issues then all I need to do is delete the xampp folder with the upgrade installed and then rename the Copy of xampp back to just xampp - hey presto I have my original version back intact, working and complete.

I can then investigate what happened to foul the upgrade.

If the upgrade is successful and I am able to use xampp as before and there are absolutely no issues, then I can safely delete the Copy of xampp folder.

Job done and only take a few seconds more to be on the safe side.

Good luck
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Re: Latest xampp upgrade 1.6.8 does it apply to 1.6.6a

Postby rory » 08. October 2008 09:38

This 1.6.8 Upgrade package is, as mentioned, suitable for version 1.6.6a and 1.6.7 - go for it.

I usually drag the existing xampp folder holding the Ctrl key to make a Copy of xampp as a backup just in case there are any issues with the upgrade...

Good luck

Thanks for your reply confirming the version upgrade and also for the tip. I will now have to pluck up the courage to announce the service and do the upgrade!

Rory
rory

Postby Sharley » 08. October 2008 09:57

BTW, it is worth noting to only download the upgrade file that reflects the way you initially installed XAMPP.

For example, if you originally downloaded and installed the XAMPP Windows Installer version then you should only download and install the Upgrade Package Installer version file.

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html#1175

This from the above link:
...Tip: If you have the installer version it is much easier to use the installer upgrade. All others should take the (7-)ZIP archive. Extract that package in the XAMPP folder directly and overwrite the older files.
Sharley
AF Moderator

Operating System: Win 7 Pro 32bit/XP Pro SP3

Postby rory » 08. October 2008 20:36

Yes installer is the original and that would be the upgrade. I was going to back up the drive with HD clone just in case. The main worry is that the configuration of the databases, the PHP software would fail in the new version although they stipupate olderversions or "later". I don't really want to have to reconfigure fake send mail etc because that took a long time and the server is live. Having said that the install infomation says that it leaves alone those configurations of xampp. I suppose i will only do it when I have all the knowledge and a clear window to rectifyany problems or restore the original. Point is once I ge thte hang of it then should be okay for the future. Any thatnks again for advice.
rory

Postby rory » 11. October 2008 14:41

The upgrade from 1.6.6a to 1.6.8 was not successful via installer checksum was all ok. Apache produced an application error in windows xp sp2 Not sure why. Apache was shut down. restarted server and reinstalled. Mysql and Filezilla started ok installed. Because it seemed to be conected to OS did not try anything else. Managed to restore to 1.6.6a ok so server is back up and running without any apparent problems so that is at least good experience.
rory

Return to XAMPP for Windows