DOCUMENT_ROOT on a flash drive.

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

DOCUMENT_ROOT on a flash drive.

Postby KallistaAEnvarou » 15. September 2008 22:35

I use a flash drive to transport my documents from my home computer to my school library and computer class. Is there a way to set DOCUMENT_ROOT to find out the drive letter and change accordingly?
KallistaAEnvarou

Postby EnglishRocker » 16. September 2008 11:35

If you had the entire server on a flash drive it would be easier.
I get the Zip version of the Xampp installer and just unzip it to my flash drive. When I want Xampp to start I just navigate to the flash drive's xampp folder and click 'xampp_start.exe'. The entire server can travel with me, DOCUMENT_ROOT included.
EnglishRocker

Postby KallistaAEnvarou » 17. September 2008 22:44

I do have the entire server on my flash drive. The problem is that, at school, the drive letters vary. In my Computer classes, they're F. In the library, they're I.

So, if I want to transport my flash drive and work on my web coding, I have to reinstall the server.
KallistaAEnvarou

Postby Wiedmann » 17. September 2008 23:51

The problem is that, at school, the drive letters vary. In my Computer classes, they're F. In the library, they're I.

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html#1156
Wiedmann
AF Moderator

Postby KallistaAEnvarou » 18. September 2008 20:40

I tried running xampp_setup.batch, but it didn't work. I'll try again.
KallistaAEnvarou

USB or portable install

Postby alvin » 18. September 2008 20:41

I have followed the directions listed, but I still have a problem (can't start apache)

You see I move my portable folder from USB to C: (things run faster) and back again to USB, so I have a folder named apps, in that folder I have the xampp folder, so xampp is never in the root for that drive, I believe this may be the problem?

Will I be able to run this server in a changing sub folder?

Thanks for your help,

Alvin
alvin

Postby EnglishRocker » 19. September 2008 10:39

If you have to reinstall xampp when you move machines you're doing something wrong.
Download this: http://www.apachefriends.org/download.php?xampp-win32-1.6.7.zip
Unzip or extract it to the usb drive. You will finish up with a folder called xampp on your usb drive (for instance, I have K:\xampp\). Inside there you will find the executables which start and stop xampp. No need to run any batch files (*.bat). Xampp should automatically start itself when you boot up.
If I take my usb drive from one machine to another xampp still works but the drive letters are different, which only means that shortcuts made on one machine become invalid on another.
You shouldn't need to copy your files over from usb to hd, and it may even cause you problems (occasionally files get corrupted in this way).
Good luck.
EnglishRocker

Postby alvin » 19. September 2008 16:45

The only reason I transfer files sometimes is programs and file access are much faster on HD then USB, It looks like everything will work, I just have to keep xampp out of the sub folder. I tried to run it in a sub folder, changed paths in ini fles etc. but could not make it work.

My question, what would it take to run xampp in a sub folder?

AM
alvin

Return to XAMPP for Windows