Port Issue

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Port Issue

Postby JoeyRocket » 15. September 2008 20:58

I initially tried installing XAMPP using the installer and got a message to the effect of "port 80 and port 3306 are already in use". I uninstalled and re-installed using the .zip archive, and didn't get the message, but when I do a port check, those to ports are marked as "SYSTEM" Consequently, Apache won't start, and I get a "page not found" when I try to bring up localhost.

The problem is, to my knowledge, I am not running any other HTTP server on my system, and I don't know what is using these ports. Is there a way to find out what is occupying these ports. How do I then free them up?

I am running Vista Home Premium on a Sony Vaio laptop. I am attempting to run XAMPP from a partition on the main hard drive.
JoeyRocket

Postby glitzi85 » 15. September 2008 21:09

You reinstalled XAMPP just because your Port is blocked :roll:

How did you perform the port check? Did you use the XAMPP Portcheck tool? If not, try it!

You do not have to use other HTTP-Server on your System, also other Software is using Port 80 (Skype, Virus-Scanners ...).

glitzi
glitzi85

Postby JoeyRocket » 15. September 2008 21:41

I used the XAMPP port check utility. I s there a way to see what program specifically is using these ports?
JoeyRocket

Postby JoeyRocket » 15. September 2008 22:52

Okay, I restarted my computer, and re-ran the port check utility which told me that port 80, 3306, and now 443 were all in use by "SYSTEM". However, I took a chance and ran XAMPP, and somehow it started both Apache and MySQL. So I navigated to localhost, and there was my XAMPP start page. So how is this working now? Will I have problems with it? Are there any answers to my previous questions?
JoeyRocket

Return to XAMPP for Windows