XAMPP not working due to Oracle Application Express

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

XAMPP not working due to Oracle Application Express

Postby ravenne » 11. September 2008 21:43

Hi Friends,

Very recently, i installed Oracle 10g Express Edition in my system and along with it Oracle Application Express (formerly Oracle HTML DB) got installed as well.

This Application Express has its own web server and is not allowing Apache in XAMPP package to start.

What should I do to make it work?

Please help
ravenne

Postby glitzi85 » 11. September 2008 22:03

You either have to change the Port of the Oracle Webserver to something different than 80 (no idea how to do this - look on the Oracle Site) or doing the same with your Apache. To do this, just open the httpd.conf and Change the Line:

Code: Select all
Listen 80

to

Code: Select all
Listen 8080

or whatever you want to use as port number. After restarting you should be able to connect to the Apache XAMPP with http://localhost:8080

glitzi
glitzi85

Postby ravenne » 11. September 2008 22:10

Tried ur suggestion.

But its not up still!
ravenne

Postby glitzi85 » 12. September 2008 01:26

Why not? Do you get any Error-Messages? Try to start Apache with apache_start.bat in the xampp folder instead of the Control Panel, then you get maybe an Error message.

glitzi
glitzi85

Re: XAMPP not working due to Oracle Application Express

Postby rudresh3 » 27. April 2010 16:01

Hi,

I am also facing the same issue. I am using XAMPP 1.7.2 for windows vista. Is there a solution?

Thanks,

Rudresh
rudresh3

Postby JonB » 28. April 2010 02:53

Hi -

Do you mean you also installed Oracle Application Express and now Apache is no longer working?

If you applied the suggested fix, you will have to restart Apache. (we don't know if our prior friend got that part)

Applications (such as webservers) can't share ports on the same NIC.

Good Luck
8)
JonB
AF Moderator

Operating System: Windows XP/7 - Fedora 15 1.7.7

Postby rudresh3 » 28. April 2010 11:18

Thanks for the reply Jon. I changed the port and it still doesn't work. When I start the apache using the .bat file, I get a message that apache has started but Myphpadmin doesn't start. Also, the XAMPP control panel shows apache as not started. I faced a similar problem before, due to Skype, so I am assuming that it's the same. I have also tried installing apache as a service but with no luck.
rudresh3

Postby JonB » 28. April 2010 20:47

Did you make firewall adjustments? And do a Port Check on Port 80?

I use ActivePorts for checking what is trying to do what with whom (its free)
http://www.devicelock.com/freeware.html

look in this FAQ for more ideas:
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/faq-xam ... html#vista

:wink:
JonB
AF Moderator

Postby rudresh3 » 29. April 2010 14:54

The firewall was always disabled. The only major change I did as part of this Oracle imple. was install loopback adapter for microsoft. port 80,8080 are both free when I do a port check. Nothing on netstat also. The apache service actually shows as started for a while and then stops again. Might explain the "started" message that I get when I use .bat file. I dont know if it will help but this is the log file that is generated on starting apache.

[Thu Apr 29 15:38:58 2010] [error] Attempt to reload DynaLoader.pm aborted.
\nCompilation failed in require at D:/XAMPP/xampp/perl/site/lib/ModPerl/Const.pm line 18.
\nBEGIN failed--compilation aborted at D:/XAMPP/xampp/perl/site/lib/ModPerl/Const.pm line 18.
\nCompilation failed in require at D:/XAMPP/xampp/perl/site/lib/Apache2/Const.pm line 18.
\nBEGIN failed--compilation aborted at D:/XAMPP/xampp/perl/site/lib/Apache2/Const.pm line 18.
\nCompilation failed in require at D:/XAMPP/xampp/apache/conf/extra/startup.pl line 9.
\nBEGIN failed--compilation aborted at D:/XAMPP/xampp/apache/conf/extra/startup.pl line 9.
\nCompilation failed in require at (eval 2) line 1.
\n[Thu Apr 29 15:38:58 2010] [error] Can't load Perl file: D:/XAMPP/xampp/apache/conf/extra/startup.pl for server localhost:8080, exiting...
rudresh3

Postby JonB » 30. April 2010 01:18

Ok

That is useful info. Let me ask this; you don't by any chance have ActiveStates Perl installed independently, do you?

those are all Perl Module fails. Does Oracle Apps have its own Perl install? (not a tool I am familiar with).

Also, do you know if you need mod_perl?

Perl programs have to be constructed in a particular fashion to run with mod_perl. If you are using Perl scripts not developed for XAMPP, you may wish to try disabling mod_perl. YaBB (something I know well) does not run with mod_perl loaded.

you can disable mod_perl with setup. it might be a quick fix.

Good Luck
:wink:
JonB
AF Moderator

Postby rudresh3 » 30. April 2010 10:45

Thanks for the help Jon. Oracle includes perl also. Apache is up and working. I commented out the include perl.conf line in httpd.conf. It worked after that. I would like to know someday how this all works but for now I am the happiest person in whole South Africa!! Thanks once again. :D
rudresh3

Postby JonB » 30. April 2010 16:45

Great!

I'm really glad you got it worked out.

:D
JonB
AF Moderator

Postby JP Baraniecki » 13. August 2010 02:14

"Perl programs have to be constructed in a particular fashion to run with mod_perl. If you are using Perl scripts not developed for XAMPP, you may wish to try disabling mod_perl. YaBB (something I know well) does not run with mod_perl loaded."

I just wanted to say this solution worked for me. Thanks. I didnt know one of my other programs used perl scripts. Perhaps this solution should be moved to the faq?

Thanks again
JP Baraniecki

Return to XAMPP for Windows