Lots of errrors... MySQL & Apache

Problems with the Mac OS X version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Lots of errrors... MySQL & Apache

Postby xyzizzy » 04. June 2008 07:49

when i tell xampp to start the following appears in the output box:

Code: Select all
Starting XAMPP for macOSX 0.7.2
XAMPP: starting Apache...
XAMPP: [1merror 1! Couldn't start Apache![m
XAMPP: [1mStarting Diagnose... [m
XAMPP: [1mSorry. I've no idea what's going wrong.[m
XAMPP: [1mPlease contact our forum http://
www.apachefriends.org/f[m
XAMPP: Starting MySQL...
XAMPP for MacOSX started
/Applications/xampp/xamppfiles/bin/mysql.server: line 159:
kill: (2114) - no such process

It appears that Apache and everything apart from MySQL is working.
xyzizzy

Postby jmdirc » 04. June 2008 14:04

That's a first I think. At least when something goes wrong here it talks computer language in the error messages. I would be concerned with what the error said - it just don't look right. Thats's not what I get when MySql didn't start correctly.

Try a re-install. Delete the current copy from the Terminal then download a new copy from a different source and try again.
jmdirc

Postby axewater » 08. June 2008 19:09

it was just trying to kill mysql before restarting it ..
it wasnt started yet, hence the 'erorr' message
[url=http://www.mypageofmanythings.com/joomla/]Check out my site with Joomla and Apache webmaster guides
[/url]
axewater

Help, getting same error

Postby pjbluvas » 11. August 2008 13:41

Hi I am getting the same error as the original poster. I am however, stuck overseas for about a month and have only intermittent dialup Internet, which would make a clean re-install difficult if not impossible.

I'm just wondering if anyone had any more info on this issue. Did the reinstall fix things? Was there something else wrong?

Any comments would be *greatly* appreciated. Thanks!
pjbluvas

Postby jmdirc » 11. August 2008 15:00

When I first installed 0.7.2, I would intermittently get an error that was fixed by just rebooting Xampp. After I uninstalled through the terminal and then updated to 0.7.3, I haven't had any errors.
jmdirc

thanks

Postby pjbluvas » 12. August 2008 13:56

Thanks so much for the reply. I'm using 0.7.3 version. I tried the reboot and no change in behavior. Next I will try a delete and clean re-install. I will re-post to this forum with my results.
pjbluvas

Re: thanks

Postby pjbluvas » 23. August 2008 11:42

pjbluvas wrote:Thanks so much for the reply. I'm using 0.7.3 version. I tried the reboot and no change in behavior. Next I will try a delete and clean re-install. I will re-post to this forum with my results.

Did the re-install and everything works fine. The problem was that I opened and then closed httpd.conf using Microsoft Word instead of a basic Text Editor. It must have saved the file in a rich-text format.
pjbluvas

Postby jmdirc » 23. August 2008 20:28

You might want to try TextWrangler - it is free and has line numbers and coloring. If you don't mind spending 60 bucks, Textmate is a real good editor-that's my choice since I can't afford the others like BBEdit -- a whopping 125 bucks. I don't know anything about SubEthaEdit, it goes for around 45 bucks.
jmdirc

Postby pjbluvas » 24. August 2008 14:29

jmdirc wrote:You might want to try TextWrangler - it is free and has line numbers and coloring. If you don't mind spending 60 bucks, Textmate is a real good editor-that's my choice since I can't afford the others like BBEdit -- a whopping 125 bucks. I don't know anything about SubEthaEdit, it goes for around 45 bucks.

Actually the program called TextEditor that (I think) comes with mac OS X works just fine for editing httpd.conf. So far I've had no problems using that.
pjbluvas

Postby jmdirc » 24. August 2008 15:19

I don't know if you code a lot or not. But the value of having line numbers saves a lot of time. Should an error come up, it will tell you something like: "error: undefined variable: connection in /sites/index.php on line 123" it is mega simpler to know the line numbers than have to physically count every time there is an error - and there will be errors, trust me. At least try Text Wrangler - it's free.

You know, it would have been nice if Mac, and Windows for that matter, would included line numbers it their generic text editors, oh well.

best of luck
jmdirc

Return to XAMPP for macOS