Just a head's up (sorry for posting in English)

Problems with the Windows version of XAMPP, questions, comments, and anything related.

Just a head's up (sorry for posting in English)

Postby cassius » 17. August 2008 22:10

I am using a standard xampp windows installation and trying to build out a joomla site. (I'm on windows Vista)

I unpacked the joomla zip file straight into a newly created sub-directory in htdocs. But when I navigated to the new directory, I got the following error message:

Code: Select all
Warning: require_once(C:\xampp\htdocs\xxxxxxx\installation\includes\defines.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in C:\xampp\htdocs\xxxxxxx\installation\index.php on line 19

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'C:\xampp\htdocs\xxxxxxx\installation\includes\defines.php' (include_path='.;C:\xampp\php\pear\') in C:\xampp\htdocs\xxxxxxx\installation\index.php on line 19

i then used the windows explore application and could see all the files there in the correct location. I tried unpacking multiple times and received the same error every time.

So then I uninstalled XAMPP and reinstalled and repeated the installation problem, same issue.

Then I renamed the joomla archive file and unpacked again -still the same issue.

So then I unpacked the joomla archive to another directory and used copy/paste to move everything into a fresh htdocs directory - SUCCESS.

A little further research on the problem yielded this conclusion - there was some conflict/error in the way the archiving software created directories and that was what was hosing up the works. The archiving software I was using is IZarcs (which I have otherwise had decent success with).

I'm not raising this as a defect with XAMPP, but I just wanted to make you all aware of the problem because it really looked like a XAMPP issue at first (files and directories were all there).

thanks
Last edited by cassius on 18. August 2008 04:50, edited 1 time in total.
cassius

Postby glitzi85 » 17. August 2008 22:22

Sounds like it was really a problem with the unzip-Software. Try using 7-zip for example (it's OpenSource).

glitzi
glitzi85

Postby cassius » 17. August 2008 22:25

Yes, it was definitely a problem with the unzip software. I just wanted to make folks aware because it 'appeared' (and only appeared) to be something wrong with the XAMPP installation since all the files were there.

As I say above, definitely not an issue with XAMPP.
cassius

Postby glitzi85 » 17. August 2008 22:33

notice to myself: Read posts more carefully :-)
glitzi85

Postby cassius » 17. August 2008 22:57

Notice to myself, categorize posts more carefully LOL

(thanks for the move)
cassius

Return to XAMPP for Windows